Short Indycar Primer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GCCRacer, May 25, 2014.

1. datanode

datanode Registered

I am actually quite keen on all forms of Motorsport. Anywhere where there is competition of a motoring kind. From lawn mower racing, being an accredited Motorsport photographer (not much of this sadly anymore) and track days (also not much of this anymore hence sim racing)

So appreciate the hints :) will see what I can of it.

2. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

NWDogg, I think my dislike of NASCAR comes from the cars itself. American Big Muscle is just not my type of vehicle (sorry for the blasphemy ;) )

The DW-12 on the other hand looks very "space age" - I know they had to do something about wheel/wheel contact since that killed Wheldon - and it's a proper Italian car in the end ;)

Which is actually funny if you think about it, both OpenWheelers released this week are made by Dallara. Very different in apperance and rules, yet from the same maker...

3. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

Hey, totally understand that. There's some European/Australian racing that I can't get into at all, because I don't particularly like the cars. And to be completely honest, when I watch a NASCAR race (like the one on right now) I usually end up falling asleep for about half of the race lol. I probably over-state the 'excitement' of NASCAR, as most of it happens towards the end of the race.

You're right about DW12, it is imo the most technically advanced-looking open-wheel car in existence (even if it doesn't perform as such.) Dallara is an awesome manufacturer, do they only make race cars or do they have a production car in the market somewhere?

4. Crippyoh

Crippyoh Registered

i mostly used to agree about the super-speedway races....but raced a few on Nascar 2003 sim races on big ovals lately and being in bumper to bumper traffic ...especialy first stint or after a yellow when the field is very concentrated...its pretty intense

Todays Indy 500 was alot like sim racing indycars on ovals...big group of people drafting, passing , checking up...deciding when to move into lead and try to hold it ...prolly better to hold back..but not too far back for too long...

Raced a Rfactor 1 league in 1995 indycars , was very good, and nice changes of momentum during a season, between different size ovals, small , medium, large, street courses and road courses...Indycar used to race on some pretty small ovals, 1 mile ones , and even smaller

5. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

What I particularly liked was that it's a bit more "Redneck"... in a very positive way.

No garages in the pit lane, crew out in the sun. Much less posing and super-second drills (i.e. 2.6s tire change in F1) though I don't doupt these guys practice as hard. The advertisements on the cars are more everyday stuff. I don't know much about Mid-Ohio besides what I see in Youtube and Virtua_LMs track version, but Yas Marina, a rich folk's playground it certainly is not, with the Winnebagos next to the track.

I guess that's the nice thing about running a "Spec-Car"... a chassis costs half a million and not multiple millions to build for each season, as development costs are shared across all teams. Indy doesn't seem to reek of big money the same way that F1 does.

The TV experience is also decidely different, but not unexpected so as I'm also a fan of American Football. In F1 for example, you don't have driver profile pictures most of the time. You might have a scene or two from the box, including the girlfriend, but not nearly the same way they focused on the Wife and GF of the two top contenders in the last few laps (dual-scene inserts...). A bit more focus on drama, and a decided lack of Laptime/Sector comparisons (i.e. less statistics, more emotion).

Definitly a sport I could get used to.

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

They still do- watch the Milwaukee Mile and the Tricky Triangle at Pocono.

I liked how at the end of the 500, RHR was in winner's circle with his son and GF. No glitz & glamour rock star GF, no sycophants and hangers on- it was a family in the circle. A dude really ecstatic that he won the big one, which he had been watching on TV since he was a kid sitting on the floor, and his son who didn't want any milk. American motorsport is like that. I do watch some Nascar too and I appreciate that after the races the guys are drinking beer, they have their kids and family in the winner's circle and they are regular people.

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

love the rotating cameras on the Indy cars, they should be on the f1's too

part of my interest in f1 is the comedy aspect nicely provided by Kimi

http://youtu.be/-jjAj79e7RA

is there anyone funny in Indy ?

8. Miro

Miro Registered

For some reason all this show at the end burned the pictures of David Haselhof and Tom Cruise behind the wheels in my brain again for a while.
    This scenes of random crying girls and this half round table with some people discussing racing as it would be something about the wallstreet made me switch it of pretty quickly. And TBH I couldn't understand why the commentator always got that exited and loud as the guy behind used the slipstream and got simply by on the straight as if he had DRS. :confused:

I guess I sound now like a one of those dudes who have no idea about F1 and start talking about it like:" But they just go in circles all the time".

;)

9. datanode

datanode Registered

I couldn't stand the wife / gf part because rather than an inset my nice large tv showed two pointlessly small images one of wags and one of drivers the rest of it a sea of early 90's bg.

This just belittles the actual Motorsport main event. Show drama, fine. But the focus is the cars and the race.

Artificially enhancing the "drama" is a side show element.

http://seen.co/event/2014-indy-500-indianapolis-in-2014-9046/highlight/14724

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
  10. datanode

datanode Registered

They do, it doesn't work, inherited the idea from Indy car afaik. Passes are fast and similar speeds rare. I think they gave up already!

What they need in f1 is overlays of cameras, just like virtual mirrors in rf2 when on board ;)