Need help officiating a race incident

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Manta, May 23, 2014.

1. TTupsi

TTupsi Registered

Pure racing incident. Both drivers made decisions that led to contact: driver of the green car going too close to the red car and thus leaving very little room for error and the driver of the red car for drifting the tiniest bit to the left and making the contact. These things happen when racing wheel to wheel and in no way there should be a penalty given.

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I might surprise you :)
    Once I even told league admins they should have penalized me instead of the other guy :) I try not to be biased. Not saying that I always succeed, but at least I try :)

Unfortunately, looking at your posts, it's hard to resist the impression that you're very biased in favor of green car for some reason.

So, what do we make of this? Green car did not have to avoid contact, while red car had to? No offense man, but that's pure prejudice :)

Racing incident. Just like many others have said.

3. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I also call for penalties for myself in the league I admin.

Red car knows green car is there and still moves towards to the left not really knowing green car position. It is not prejudice is objectivity. He moves towards the other car. If he does not see him (his fault) he should not suppose anything. There are keys to look left and right.

enviado mediante tapatalk

4. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Red car hit the green car, If you can not see that, you have a vision problem.

The league I race and I'm admin too that's a red car penalty. Because green car did nothing illegal, he just defended his position staying in the middle of the track he decided with no erratic movements. Red car just wants to go where he can not, he was forced to be in inside line by green defensive line and he just turn his wheel to the left when he can clearly see there is a car there when he has only room for parallel braking, not diagonal.

If you are saying me that's not legal... Look at any race, or any decent league or real life regulation. Excuses like I did not know he was there are not valid, green car is side by side when he hit him, and in simracing you NEVER should behave like there were no cars just in your sides like red one did. He could avoid contact just taking the inside line.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

5. redapg

redapg Registered

OK, then please don't let me die stupid and post a link to a site where the actual rules are listed.

6. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Green's fault clearly. That's not the way you overtake people (by cutting into the driving line of a driver inside - half car ahead or not). Green should have left more than car-wide room to the inside. Besides green would have won the battle anyway in the next corner (inside line into hairpin) so to me that move looks quite... well let's say not wise atleast. :)

However wouldn't give penalty for this as it's possible green didn't try to do that because red's front left may have pushed green's right rear causing green to turn too much. Even this would not have been red's fault as green simpy didn't leave enough room (clearly out of normal racing line). OK, it was very clever from green to force red to stay inside (force red to take very bad driving line into corner) BUT he should have moved back left into the normal driving line during braking. That's how pro's do it.

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
  8. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

It's a shame so many drivers here say a car should leave ALL inside part of the track instead defending his position or overtake. Green car leaves at least 2,5 cars of distance in inside line.

Best overtakes I did in my life were when I was overtaking through outside line and the other car only leaves me 1,1 car of space to brake. He could defend in my case taking all the inside line, but that's not to defend, it is to let the other car pass you in the pink flowers world. Racing is racing, and if rules say you can do one direction change and you should leave space for the other car green one does not break any rule, only red one by hitting green car when he already choose the inside line to defend and then he go in diagonal.

9. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

In many f1 races you can see drivers pushing the opponent up to the white line that limits the track before opening to take the turn. Green did nothing but overtake red car. It was red's car decision to go to the inside to protect position. When he open he hit green car. That's it.

10. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

That was already a result of collision.

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Go and sit in the car and tell me where the red car could see. If you know a car is at the side of you, you give them space on that side, you don't expect the other car to start bashing your door doing into the turn, not using any of the available space you gave him.

Aaaanyway. I assume the league admin, or wheoever it was that posted, has enough opinions now.

12. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Green car starts going to the right because red car hit his back/door side, green car is going perfectly straight and red car is going diagonal, contacting green car and causing him to lose the rear and start going to inside line because of red car fault. Red car just needed to go parallel to the road to avoid contact, as green one did.

13. 88mphTim

Yeah, and he got hit in the door, why? Because he was crowding in on someone who couldn't see him? Yes. The red car knew someone was on the left, and gave a bunch of room on the left, the green car knew someone was on the right, and didn't. :)

14. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Green car did, 2,5 cars of room I see. As I said, all depends in league regulations, but I know most league uses the f1 style, one direction change and room for one car. Green car does not break anyone, he leave lots of room in inside line and red car just go against him after he chooses to defend inside line. It's clear, don't understand why people do not see it, I'm league admit and simracer for years now, and I have not this accidents because I respect these rules, red car does not. I even had way closer encounters in high level simracing with almost contacts in track limits, and were all legal and clean with no contacts because both drivers respected rules.

Edit: was an avoidable contact by both drivers, because green car saw red one was driving into him, and red car knew the green car was just there. But I need to repeat, with rules I raced all my simracer life is a red car fault.

15. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

OK took another look and I'm willing to alter my opinion. :) Well first of all of course there was more room at that point - I'm talking about the phase going into apex.

But now I see the situation better by looking at steering wheels in slow motions. You can see right at the bottom edge of the screen (don't move mouse so the bar will vanish) how those drivers are steering (look those "shiny" parts of steering wheel). Well basically they're both going straight at the time of impact (actually it's the green who steers more towards the red car but that tiny tiny difference is insignificant). After that it's just those two hooked up into each others and result is inevitable. Green is actually trying to countersteer but doesn't help anymore.

At first it looked like green chose going straight into apex but now I see it's not the case. Red couldn't see how close the green was when the first impact occured. Green could have avoided the crash by leaving bit more room during braking.

Racing accident - no penalties. And this is my final personal judgement. :p

16. 88mphTim

I just don't see why the red driver gets the blame from you and the green doesn't get any. That seems weird. They both moved in on each other, the green most unexpectedly. F1 rules don't apply to any of this, because what happened going into the corner was a result of what happened on a straight while they were evenly side by side, already bouncing off each other. So you have to go to the initial contact and see the reasons for that. Red car left more room than the green did, and obviously you can see overhead that the green was all the way over by the red. Why? Why was he there? The racing line is at the left, he might have actually been a lot faster into the turn had he stayed left.

I wouldn't penalize either driver, but blaming this on the red alone seems strange to me...

17. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

But the point it's not where is the racing line, is about what line choose every driver to attack next turn. In most cases drive line is not the best to overtake and you need to driver in "fight mode", this is the case. What I see is a green car choosing his mid line after green one choose inside one. Then green car starts going in diagonal (why? He already choose inside line, so he has no right to come back), and when braking starts red stills going in diagonal, really a bad choice. I'm not saying green could not avoid, but was not his fault in any way, was aggressive? Yes, did something wrong? No. But if you analyze red one you will see he did at least 1 mistake, going diagonal after he choose his line when he had a car outside that he can clearly see in mirror is just in his side.

Penalty? No, just a warning for red car maybe, I was exaggerating when said red deserves a penalty.

18. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Interesting intrepretation. Completely opposite to mine.

Red has the corner. Green's best options are to back off or try to continue the pass around the outside. Green turns in too early because he's incapable or unwilling to make the outside line work. Red's only error, if any, is drifting to the left a little too much.

Without the slight drift off his line, I'll do what Red did 10 times out of 10 because I race with clean leagues and Green will either back off or sail off track without hitting me.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2014
  19. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

Really strange how some people view this.

Red car took inside defensive line very early, half way down straight. Green decided to take outside and made things difficult for Red by crouding Red to the inside. Green got along side Red but had no right to take proper racing line into the corner at any point. Green insisted on crouding Red all the way into the braking zone and never changed his strategy of crouding Red out. Minor contact was made as Red tried his best to get a line into the corner, contact was made and thats all.

Green made a poor decision in sticking with his crouding routine (and this falls under point C of the FIA rules listed) and did not show good judgement. If no contact was made, all Red had to do is match Green in braking and take a late turn in. As Green was crouding Red and not in a good position on the track there would be nothing he could do.

Be smarter next time Green!

20. 88mphTim

My point wasn't about the racing line, but focus on that if you wish. Ok, so the green chose his line, that doesn't mean the red knows that. What? He chose a line so he can't move away from that? What? Hang on, what? How is the red guy making a bad choice when he is still on the inside? The green doesn't turn across his nose to you? I think the mistake you're saying the red made, is exactly the same one the green made... lol He actually couldn't see. Really, with the FOV I use, I could not have seen the green car until contact was made.

Think of it this way, if the red was the passing car, he had his nose inside. The green chopped him, and paid for it.