SSD can reduce loading time in spinner view for 20 GB installed track.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fullsus, May 17, 2014.

1. fullsus

fullsus Registered

When I play multiplayer mode the game will change from list view to spinner view by automatic.

Before I have SSD. I must wait 30 sec for rFactor2 to load spinner view and then I will change it to the list view. If I wait longer than 30 sec rFactor2 will App crash this happen in normal.

Then I bought new SSD 840 pro 120GB and have old 1T HDD black version WD that have own win7+rFactor2 are seperately installed. Install the same 20 GB for only 150+tracks.

Compare in spinner view:
    SSD take 12-13 sec.
    1T HDD take 30 sec.

I never have problem App crash when I load in spinner view with SSD!
    But for the loading track time is the same. The difference is you don't hear the sound of HD that working very hard when play sim. I think that sound because sim's writing replay file.

2. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

No its not. When i changed to ssd the loading track times reduced by half (or even more). Confirm if your paths are correct.
    SSD makes rf2 experience much more interesting. Running rf2 on a normal HD is painfull. Loading times are absurde on HD.
    I advice everyone who can to install rf2 on a ssd.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2014
  3. Minibull

Minibull Member

For the most part, it didn't change for me. Samsung 840 Pro 256GB. I remember someone talking about how most of the loading times are from actual processing of some sort, so changing your CPU can give you quicker times XD

4. datanode

datanode Registered

Yes that is true, did you just change ssd.

For me there is no discernible difference. The cpu change had a much bigger effect. I have the 840 evo comparing to 2 10k velociraptors in raid0

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, I had rF2 on a 1TB Western Digital drive, then I got the Samsung SSD and put rF2 on that, still with the same components though. Now I have just upgraded to an i5 4670K and the times seem to be much quicker compared to the old Q6600 I had.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

HD is absurd.......

Ridiculous

I have WD 1 TB B lack

loadtimes are barely slower then SSD

Twice as fast you are having a lend of yourself OR get a decent Sata .

8. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Im on a WD 1Tb asweel, I5 3570k. Loading times are completely diferent from HD to SDD. When i refer completely diferent i mean a huge diference. I have rf2 in both hard drives and its completely diferent.
    Not only track loading times as also menus, replays, whatever needs the hard drive to work.
    Anyone saying that a regular HD is equal to SSD makes no sense. Anything which needs hard drive to work obvious will be quicker on a SSD. Also for people working on rf2 related multimédia (vídeos, capturing, etc) it is much quicker and fluid to work on a ssd.
    Obvious if you install the main core on ssd and say rf2 to load tracks from hd packages folder the diference will be none.
    But if mr.Durge says thats only a matter of my hd then ok, stick with your HD´s, i will stick with my ssd.

9. stonec

stonec Registered

Yep, Minimalist UI doesn't load the useless spinner view at all. I can't see any use for spinner view with cars, even with a few mods installed the number of cars grows so quickly that it would take ages to navigate to correct car.

10. osella

osella Registered

I guess it really depends heavily on what particular hdd/ssds you are comparing, I personally saw no difference at all. And my ssd was a fresh, fast one (crucial m4 120gb).

11. datanode

datanode Registered

There is no difference with a good performing hd vs an ssd. That is the point. The loading screen is probably running a calculation or building an environment or whatever. The restriction is processing power. That is unless there is some problem with the HD, e.g. Badly fragmented . This is windows after all.

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

they spin for me in minimalistic, just one garage wont spin at all. which is nice if you don't want it.
    But for painting cars its a blessing, especially with the additional camera controls in spinner.

13. datanode

datanode Registered

Correct, very useful if you create skins ;)

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

One thing people may neglect to factor in is the size of rF2 tracks.

My average is 150mb ....... 3 times the average of my rF tracks

3 times as big ........think about it.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Who said a normal hard drive was equal to SSD ?
    Now you just making things up ?

i said it was not twice as fast as a BLACK SATA

Please enlighten me with benchtests and loads what exactly in rFACTOR2 is 100% faster I would be really interested. ?

You are most likely comparing some crappy old sata drive, for all I know.

I have SSD and Black, I know what I know............. ;)

Some people get a germ tells them because a SSD does blistering :p 500mb/s+ it MUST BE 5 times as fast

Well it should be for 5/6 times the cost per GB ............ BUT it AINT ! :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

P.S. Even articles BS about the price per GB and make SSD sound better per MB then they are.

Look here they quote 15c to 50c a MB or 3 times the price which is UTTER CRAP if you take into account the best SSD and a Black WD

http://www.storagereview.com/ssd_vs_hdd

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP ! a 2TB Black is $146 ! NOT a 1TB !!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236624

Which automatically makes their " 3 times dearer " really 6 times dearer lmao oh dear LOL

........ in Australia Samsung Evo 1TB = 600AU WD 1TB Black is $ 100AU .............do the maths ( roll eyes )

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  17. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

Durge man are you smoking the good stuff or something?

18. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

I have an SSD as master with win 7 and rf2 installed there and everything i installed there (MAX, afterr effects, photoshop, blender, FIFA 14) reduced the load times even 1/4, plus less heat and zero noise.

19. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You are referring to the spinning showroom but they are referring to the Spinning car selection screen Vs the listview selection. You know, the button at the top right of the car/track selection screen. "Spinner View" is very slow to load compared to the "List View" and the Minimalist UI totally removes the "Spinner View".