FOWC hammering down on F1 related sim content

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hexagramme, Apr 30, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Just examples. I mentioned a car from pCARS and GSC as well. :)

2. Justy

Justy Registered

Haha, now I feel stupid! I took the "spillbeans" bit, a bit too literally. :(

But still, you did mention something about an F1... I mean, err, GP car from every decade, some time ago. So I'll just quietly cross my fingers all the same. :)

P.S. sorry for the OT

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

He meant the owners or anyone with a licence making money from it. Enabling free mods in this case would possibly influence a project a licence holder would get himself into.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

No1 said too bad for the modders. Of course its a bitter disappointment to see hard work go down the drain. if that is even the case though.
    Tim already mentioned it, get creative with the naming. job done. all is well.
    But I even doubt that would be necessary at all.

Oi, I go to races, I have a ridiculous expensive premium channel. have to work damn hard for it though :)

A bit of a weird comparisment though, there's like 400 people in simracing doing absolutely nothing for F1 or motersports in general. or at least very marginal.
    Star trek is a global fetish for ba****nt dw****rs (hey why did you censor that Tim) whom have lifted the show to unprecedented popularity globally. and there is no content to be stolen, licences to be breached. just torrents and that is being chased down constantly.
    Kinda different.

Maybe, just maybe, the decades of ripping/stealing/not caring about anything or anyone in simracing has made companies like above get a certain attitude towards our thing?
    Think about it :)

Not saying that's a fact btw, I don't know, but I would not be surprised at all.

5. 88mphTim

I have had companies reluctant to become a part of our community, due to the community, and this goes back a long time, not just with ISI or iRacing. Nothing particular that I could pass on to say why, just that they wanted their item to appear in the best light. Crash videos on Youtube were one issue once, a manufacturer didn't want crashing glorified.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Gran Turismo had the same issue, epic game full of official manufacturers and then users whining about no-damage. turned out it was the manufacturers not wanting their cars to shows damage in the game :)

That was with GT1, not sure how its now.

7. 88mphTim

One of the first things I say in a licensing proposal is that we're here to glorify racing and racing history.

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Maybe you stop saying that lol :)

9. Raikku

Raikku Registered

Would like to say that from now on I boycott F1 and never watch even single race anymore. But I guess I'm too weak for that, but somehow we should make those ppl pay from what they
    trying to do to racingsimworld. And because money/wealth is only thing what they understand(greedy as they are), somehow we should be able to affect that.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well apart from everything Tim said about it not being financial, remember a company like CM pays to have the F1 licence. In the old days of encrypted game floppies and CD consoles that meant if you wanted to play an F1 game you bought their game; these days they find their content being used elsewhere. But even back then other games were basically F1 without quite the same names or designs, and pretty quickly they were getting modded to be actual F1.

I don't think it's an unreasonable step, but we shouldn't exaggerate the effects either.

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I don't think f1 association has anything to do with this article,
    but in any case it would be good if they also allow an official licensed simulator version of f1 & of course it would have to be ISI to get it, so we'd have codemasters for the casual user & ISI for the serious user that would be super

obviously that will not happen so we use ISI & modded content which still gives us what we need (well it will eventually)
    name it what we want

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Lol I once made a crash video with F1C, about 4 years ago. Since then I got a wheel instead of a keyboard and stopped crashing... :p

(Beware of pixels en masse)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKNU_LaA_nY

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I remember reading that the old Amiga game Jaguar XJ220 had crashing animations removed, and what was that... '92? Doubt it was the first, either. Ah well, the manufacturers spend the billions, can't really argue...

14. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Companies spend millions to race and most justify it because it is marketing. Yet allowing someone to drive the race car provides the avg fan an even greater sense of experience. Same can be said for race tracks. Controlling it legally is fine but it is extremely short sighted to not allow any serious company (e.g. ISI) essentially a free or almost free license to represent their product. It will only lead to more fans, more sales, and more tickets sold for events.

I know this isn't an issue with GM because they mostly "get it" but the C6R mod as I said before was one of the reasons I bought a made in Kentucky right here in the U S of A C6 GS. I met Doug Fehan years ago (very cool guy) and he's quick to explain they race as a means to market the Corvette. Was a great experience to be a guest of Corvette Racing but I still didn't get rid of my Porsche when I got home. Yet racing a C6R mod in a sim got me to the point of making the change back. Maybe you can use that as your lead-in next time you talk to GM about licensing. :)
    *I can provide details on my C6 date of purchase and being a guest of Corvette Racing if needed.

15. 88mphTim

Not sure I would understand, why?

16. 88mphTim

Indeed. That's the point. There's huge amounts of money involved, and people should be allowed to protect what is theirs, even if we don't like that it is theirs.

17. 88mphTim

I would agree. I think a car built by ISI being in rFactor 2 is a fantastic representation for a brand. Any sim on the market really. Many are shocked to find that we pay to advertise their product for them. I don't even think Burnout with it's slow motion crash glorification did a bit of harm. Frankly, I'm amazed manufacturers aren't lining up outside Rockstar's door to be a default vehicle for main game characters in games like GTA. Screw the negatives... lol But that isn't how they think.

Funny story. I do think gaming can change things and work as advertising. Before NASCAR Racing I didn't know NASCAR existed, before GPL I had little knowledge of historic racing, but became thirsty for knowledge of that era. Hell, my younger brother obsessed over Rome Total War and the Total War series while he was at school, went into history and is now working as a conservationist restoring all manner of historic artifacts.

In some ways, limiting access to F1 experiences for F1 fans of any kind is damaging to F1. But F1 doesn't belong to the fans, and I'm not sure that's a good thing, just a fact. With F1GP2 I would race season after season changing names and team colors, etc, etc, I was a fan and it allowed me to become a greater fan. If I hadn't been able to do that, I don't know how big of a part F1 would have played in my early life.

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

What amazes me about Bernie's FOM creation was that he bought F1 broadcast rights from TVs. The thing is, how did the broadcasters obtain that right from the teams? Bernie did offer the teams back then a chance to buy their share but they preferred to spend that money on testing. His early FOM control really helped grow F1 and standardize a bunch of things but the monster grew way too large in the 90s :(.

19. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

In regards to the manufacturers looking low on cars crashing in videogames I can't wait for the day people start suing them because they thought their cars never wrecked because they didn't in a videogame. lol

20. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I doubt manufacturers think that way. The human mind works in weird ways, advertising and product placement is a complete science these days, i'm sure they have valid reasons :)