FOWC hammering down on F1 related sim content

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hexagramme, Apr 30, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

2. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

3. cosimo

cosimo Registered

4. Minibull

Minibull Member

Oh yay, well done to them :rolleyes:

I like what gamermuscle commented on Virtualr "I think next F1 should target children building F1 cars out of lego its the only logical thing to do."

5. sg333

sg333 Registered

Wait until they start to clamp down on negative publicity about how terrible F1 has become.

6. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Basically it comes down to the fact that F1 has more money to spend on lawyers than Virtual-R, and that's justice right there.
    You commit fraud you go to prison, F1 owner commits fraud........ gets an extra paragraph in their biography?
    Must not let people arrange pixels on a screen in the shape of an F1 car without Bernie getting paid though, that really would be a crime.

7. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Here we go again. It's not like it's taking sales from Codemaster's licensed sim. But yeah... alienate a bunch of fans who hold your product in such high regard that they're willing to put in 100s of hours for free to release something for free to an extemently small group.

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

[​IMG]

ARREST THAT CHILD!

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I get the impression it's a load of hot air, not to be taken to seriously, perhaps even a little entertaining
    I doubt this originated from or has anything to do with anyone that's officially a part of the f1 association

roll on rfactor 2 & more f1 based content & more broadcast events :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
  10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

OT

Great site, SlimJim on there whinging about rF2 progress and how he can't rip mods 10 times easier.

Same as he whined about GPL modders progress called them a bunch of old men.

Well those are the same guys years after his filthy stolen mod has been forgotten are making HISTORICALLY CORRECT TRACK and NEW MODS better then anything in rFactor.

When you back at that site tell him that from me.

lopl

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Kay then. We will.
    *stares blankly into space, clueless*

12. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

lol. Sounds like a load of BS to me. I don't buy it.

I'm not sure how much money Rob makes from that site but if he's getting rich from it then maybe I can understand, but I doubt he is.

13. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Calm down :)

14. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Dont see anything wrong there to be honest.
    F1, as other sports, have their rights. If someone is making extra bucks from it then they use their rights. I even consider they are being "friendly" just by asking and not by going to the real justice.

If ISI want to make an Honda Civic mod then they have to go trough all the licensing process. Why should others be diferent?

Not defending actual F1, im not a particular fan aswell, but justice should be respected.

I laugh when i read some comments from people who are against ripped content and now they are "this is wrong" in this issue.

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Kinda agree with Valter. Just imagine ISI going through allot of trouble acquiring and possibly paying up for licences, expecting something unique to be created for their sim. only to see everything they did with it spread across the globe because the licence was not properly protected and nobody cares, not even the owners of the IP.

Its not always about money grabbing managers. that's probably ignoring a whole bunch of other and possibly valid reasons why someone would protect their crap.
    But I guess its just easier to blame it on the suits by default.

16. filippu

filippu Registered

When you have two minutes, after you stopped laughing, can you explain to us how one makes money off a free mod ?

17. Daytona 675

Daytona 675 Registered

And scratch made? very unfair if so.

18. cosimo

cosimo Registered

I respect your points. I'm all for legality and rights, but I stand by my position.

Here we are talking about someone (a modder), passionate about his hobby (simracing) and formula one (tm).
    A modder that wants to go through the process of modeling an F1 car from scratch, its engine and tires, possibly taking months or even an entire year or more to get this F1 car in his preferred simulator and sharing his excitement with a very narrow audience made of simracing enthusiasts.

This is the kind of people that it's more likely to go to races or watch their absurdly expensive premium channels, and what do they do? That is ridiculous in my opinion.
    History and evidence tell us that the most successful shows or events have always embraced and encouraged this kind of fan-based activities and passion.

Things like trekkies conferences and bronycon would not exist if everyone behaved like F1 does, but they made their respective shows even more popular.

Frankly, F1 could die today and I wouldn't care. Not because of the sport, which I still like, but because of this arrogant behaviour.
    There's plenty of better alternatives, ELMS, WEC, *TCC, GT3 and even historic F1.

A little intelligence when dealing with people could go a long way, but no, virtualr can't talk about F1 mods in simulators.
    Wow. Great. Now F1 rights are massively more protected than ever. Really? Clueless people.

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Legality and the right to protect has nothing to do with financial gain. I know people like to say that, but it's nothing to do with it. Someone can protect their IP regardless of whether you made money off their IP or not. :) If you make money, they can simply ask a judge to compensate them for that in their ruling, doesn't change the ruling.

I'm not sure this changes much, to be honest. Lack of news reporting doesn't stop news. Licensed content from teams shouldn't be an issue, neither should something generic. Biggest issue often is using the series name. There's a way you can use it, and a way that you should avoid. The Marussia MR01, for example, is a Grand Prix car. Our category on our car page says "GP" as well.

And then of course anything pre-1974 FOM shouldn't have any right to protect. Questionable whether there is anything pre-1981. Then, of course, you could make assumptions on various other years where there were competing people vying for control. Or, standard expiry of things no longer in production, which would be 1988-1989? In any case, I wouldn't mess with FOM, or assume, but you shouldn't have to, whether you make a Formula ISI like ours, Formula A, Formula Reiza, Formula Classic, and a Tybell 003 or a Spillbeans FW14B.

20. Justy

Justy Registered

Did you just say, what I think you said??

;)