Tired of the micro stuttering

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by dradecki, Apr 29, 2014.

1. dradecki

dradecki Registered

I am so tired of the micro stuttering. I can run a number of laps and then I start seeing a micro pause about once a second. I have done the following:

- Disabled multiple graphic levels
    - Disables replay
    - Reduced the resolution
    - Reduced the number of racers

This is getting really old. A little help after multiple complaints would be appreciated.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

lol.

Have you tried the obvious and use a program that records cpu and gpu temperature history?

Also is this happening at some or all tracks?

3. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Also filling in your pc specification in your profile might help people to help you. This could be a number of things, most are hardware related.

It's getting really old people asking for help whilst providing insufficient information to be helped, and coming with a knot in their undies.

A completely wild guess might be for instance, set pre-rendered frames to 1. Hope that helps.

4. dradecki

dradecki Registered

- icore 7 3.2MHz
    - 16 GB memory
    - Nvidia 275 GTX
    - Happens at every track, usually after one lap.
    - I've posted this multiple times.

I'm sorry you're tired of people complaining with insufficient information, although this is the third time I've complained to ISI without one reply from them over the last 2 years. All of which I supplied "sufficient information". And yes I have changed the pre-rendered frames not to mention a whole lot of other changes in the config.ini, graphic resolutions, disabled HDR, etc. And yes I've looked at the temperature of the CPU and GPU. I am a computer engineer and have a pretty decent idea of the inner workings of a computer and how they operate. I have a number of games and simulators where I never see this problem, only in rf2. I have seen this same complaint here and at racedepartment forums.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

:eek:

Turn down your graphics settings. That's not much of a gaming GPU btw.

6. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Thank you, but I mentioned I turned down my graphics settings. That was the first thing I tried.

7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Same here, tried everything down from max to high, high to middle, but doesn`t help.
    //Edit:

e.g. Lime Rock, Honda BTCC, 10 AI`s

8. smithaz

smithaz Registered

You using fullscreen mode?
    Fullscreen windowed mode used to give me stuttering but I haven't used it in a year.

9. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Wish I was so that I have a fix, but sadly no, not using windowed mode. I've notice that there a number of people who have seen this, but no common solution. It happens after a couple of minuted and seems to be once a second after that.

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Not using windowed mode, too.

11. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

If you are a computer engineer you will obviously have access to other more powerful graphics cards, perhaps you should try one of them, also if you filled your profile in you wouldn't have to tell people your specs each time you have a problem. I'm personally never too tired to help someone out, I was being sarcastic as you said you are tired of not getting an answer, it's getting old etc. Nevermind - peace.
    What are you seeing when you check the cpu and gpu usage? (that's ctrl-c by default) Have you tried turning everything to the lowest settings possible and still get stutter? Apart from multi gpu users I don't recall any mentioning stutter that wasn't caused by driver or graphics settings. I honestly don't think that gpu is up to it, I have a more powerful one in my laptop but wouldn't expect to actually play rf2 on it. Run dev mode, run a server yes but actually play with useable fps... no. I know microstutter isn't limited to low fps, but still I think you ought to check the gpu usage with ctrl-c, then get a more powerful card in there probably. Have you tried various drivers, are you using any 3rd party driver tuner like nvinspector, and have you made a profile for rf2 in the nvidia preferences? How do you have your settings in there, plus your in game settings, Post a screenie of both, maybe we can make it go away with combinations of settings you haven't tried yet.

I have also seen people mistakenly assume because their pc can run x it should also cope with rf2 if that's what you mean by people with this same issue, and you don't have this problem with "other" simulators. Which is why I say try ctrl-c first.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  12. dradecki

dradecki Registered

While I am a computer engineer it doesn't mean I have access to additional video cards (that's not the type of computers I work on). Would love to have a newer card but California's wonderful family support laws have made that one alittle tough right now.

As I mentioned I looked at the cpu and gpu usage and all looked good, plenty of overhead available. I did reduce both the resolution and graphic details significantly although I don't believe that is the issue. Especially since my system works great for several minutes before this starts. If it was strictly a graphic issue I would expect this behavior to happen as soon as I leave the pits, not after a handful of laps. I have disabled nearly every non-vital system service I could think of. I even reduced the items related to sound since someone on racedepartment forum said that helped him. There are settings related to flushing of graphic frames that I also tried. I even thought this might be related to the replay system which I disabled, but again to no avail.

I did try a number of drivers also, but have not seen a difference. As for others with this problem, they all were running rf2. I did see this issue with codemasters F1 but as soon as I moved the data collection log file to a different disk that pretty much solved the problem.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Tried taking out all plugins? Tried a completely clean install?

14. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Haven't tried removing the plugins, but I'll give that a go tonight.

15. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Maybe it's a weird idea, but no harm in giving it a try; I had the same problem and after a lot of reading, I tried the setting higher.......
    That worked for me.
    Don't know why, but it seems when there are a lot of fps to give; the machine just have problems with that. Giving more detail but lower fps, that was no problem.
    Had something to do with memory from the machine itself (so not the graphics card) and only having about 4 gb to use because of 32 bit or something like that.
    Anyway; I read it, tried it and it was less, solved even in the latest build.

16. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Sounds good, I'll give that suggestion a try to.

17. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Nothing else that polls the system periodically, software or hardware? Had a usb temperature monitoring device that used to cause a pause every minute like this once it was solved by a usb bios setting. Agree sometimes rf2 needs loading to cause any boost clock to engage, so turning stuff off isn't always the answer.

18. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Also, try:

-turning off sync
    -editing the Max Framerate setting in the plr file to 70

19. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Trying limited framerates is the right move.
    With sync I would suggest trying different options.

There are many reasons stutters can occur - mostly related to CPU usage and CPU-GPU synchronization.

Decreasing framerates makes it easier for CPU to keep up with GPU. Using some sync options may force CPU and GPU not to move ahead of one another. So both can help stabilizing the pace of game engine.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

there's lots of similar threads on the Iracing forums (about the same problem with Iracing software)
    one is at the top of the list right now

thankfully something I've never suffered in both rfactor 2 & Iracing

assuming you have a clean PC without programmes trying to run in the background etc

keep your resolution lower & turn off (or down) AA, your PC will not suffer from what ever is causing the bottleneck in your hardware then.