AMD 14.4 Amazing driver thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrindil, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Well I never used 12.11 beta drivers as they have never been released to xp32. I guess that's why it made a big difference on my end. HD6870

2. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Yes that is one more reason why people can have more fps with latest driver, but i believe rare one these days :)

3. speed1

speed1 Banned

This is by far the best driver, at least for the 290 and rf2 and in my case it is a performance increase of at least 100 %. Although the relatively weak and old cpu ( Phenom 955 ) the performance is exceptionally well. The interesting thing before with the half of the grid the sys was overloaded and a smooth gameplay impossible. Now it is possible to double the number and
    still enjoy a smooth gameplay with higher gfx settings, while 60 fps feel like 120 before. I think I 'm going to further optimize let's see where there's anything to get.

In any case the result with the current settings:

20 Civic / Silverstone / start position 10 / ~ 3 rounds

Resolution 5992x1080 - MultiView / off - Sync / off - FXAA / off - AF 8x - 4x MSAA (CCC) - Shadow Blur / optimal - rest full / max

Fps Min 42, Max 71, Avg 57

Each optimization is now just a win but I'm just happy for this increase, the driving experience is another, the visuals are better, all in all is more satisfactory. :)

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It's getting to the stage now where AMD are doing almost everything nVidia have been with their drivers. Hope AMD are aware of the backwards movement on the older hardware though. Nothing much we can do about it.

5. speed1

speed1 Banned

I hope they can keep this direction and further increase for everyone.

6. Led566

Led566 Registered

HD7950 here and 12.11 beta11.

Retested with the benchmark in the old 3D "Nvidia vs. AMD", here the results:

1920*1080 12.11 b11 Min=39; Max=60; Avg=46.569

1920*1080 14.4 Min=30; Max=57; Avg=37.434

If you consider only the numbers 12.11 is still MUCH BETTER.
    But strangely enough 14.4 seems to me smoother.
    :confused:

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

8. gneffio

gneffio Registered

Why? I used this utility in the last 4-5 months. Is there some bug/bad thing I'm not aware of?

9. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

I wonder how the AMD cards with the new drivers compare to their Nvidia counterparts in rF2.
    It's a shame the drivers apparently don't work for everyone though.

10. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

If I might jump into this topic, the AMD Cleaning utility broke my windows 8.1, mixed up some registry stuff and UAC settings which I couldn't change anymore and I had problems with other programs that led to windows reinstalation. Try to google up amd cleaning utility problems and you will see that it can cause problems. But I didn't have any of those then while I used it on Win 7. I've read Driver Sweeper has also some problems breaking windows, but I've never used it.

Right now my procedure to uninstall old drivers on win 8.1 is this:
    1. Uninstall through control panel - programs and features - uninstall AMD software.
    2. Uninstall possible leftovers with Fusion Driver software
    3. Run CCleaner for possible registry leftovers

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Well.... it screwed up mine a couple of days ago (I use Windows 7 home 64bit). Do a google search for AMD uninstaller" and see how many positive responses there are. You can if use it if you want, but just warning you just in case :)

12. Andregee

Andregee Registered

CanĀ“t confirm for 7970.

EGT MOD 29AI Croft, Everything on max with 2xmass 4xAF Driver forced, 5040x1050, mutliview off

12.11Beta

Pit: 60fps

Starting Grid last Position: 37fps

Pit : 89fps

Starting Grid last Position: 52fps.

Something has to be wrong with your System.

I used Driver cleaner and Driver Fusion, after deinstalling and rebooting the System.
    AFter using the cleaner utilities, i rebootet the System again before installing the new Driver.

The last days i noticed the big improvement compared to the 13.xx Drivers, but the test from now Shows that the improvement is higher than i had expect

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  13. Minibull

Minibull Member

It can't be that people had mucked up drivers before and thats where the boost is coming from. I had only recently installed their latest beta driver, no difference to the previous versions. I always keep up with their beta drivers. Do exactly the same process with 14.4, and now it is running flawlessly without touching anything.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It's nothing to do with mucked up drivers as you suggest, go back to my benchmarks where I reinstalled 13.12 because I couldn't believe my eyes!
    Maybe out doesn't have an effect on older cards, but the majority seem to be getting a huge boost.

15. mrsmr2

mrsmr2 Registered

I've read a number of similar threads about new drivers and I've never noticed any major differences when I've updated to them.

Finally, drivers that live up to the hype.

Just tested Monaco with Brabham, full grid with me at the back. Constant 60fps throughout the race.
    Silverstone with the GT-R. The pitlane always gives me grief here and it did drop to 59fps driving through the pit. However, starting again at the back of the grid, no frame drops below 60fps. I even stopped on a straight and watched the pack come round in my rearview mirror. They all passed and no drops below 60fps.

Game is beautifully smooth almost constantly and that's with a track full of 20 visible vehicles.

Very, very impressive. I might go mad and turn reflections on!

FYI, 7850 oc to 1150MHz.

16. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I have to say thanks to AMD.

17. gabriel666

gabriel666 Registered

Finally I can enjoy almost maximum expression (almost everything on max) this excellent product that is rFactor 2!!! :eek:

18. The_Mark

The_Mark Registered

Also a VERY positive report on my behalf (HD7970 at stock speed)!

I must admit I was rather skeptical when I opened this thread and read the first few posts, but man oh man, this driver has completely changed things around! Did some quick tests with the Hondas on Silverstone and Loch Drummond with 30 AI and all settings on max; 55-60 FPS on the straight, where I'd normally get around 30-35 if I was lucky! :O

Even the hitching and stuttering I normally get at certain points of a lot of tracks has magically gone away, or at least reduced drastically to where it's basically not there anymore. I had to pinch myself a couple of times, because I couldn't believe RF2 was running so well...

Simply amazing!

19. msportdan

msportdan Banned

Anyone know of the best shadow settings. IM trying to get rid if that low res look. But i want efficiency to. At max ill get around 40-60 in a sunny race. Maybe try med with full blur. Is there a ini we can change to bump up res without to much detail.

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_260 using Tapatalk

20. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Is there any 6xxx user seeing an improvement? Or are the wonders really only happening 7xxx and newer?