GetMod Registration Tool

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Noel Hibbard, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
  2. Backdraft26

Backdraft26 Registered

3. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Thanks Noel. Hopefully this will improve things. You might want to make this bit bold rather than in brackets because...... well you know. :rolleyes:

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Today I am going to make my tool support MultiCmps. MultiCmps aren't supported by GetMod but I can update my tool to detect that it is a MultiCmp and if so it will create a subfolder with the same name of the original MultiCmp and then extract the individual rfcmp's into it and add your own GetMod URL at the same time. From there the user would go into that subfolder and register the individual rfcmp files just as you would a non-multicmp.

5. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

MultiCmp support is complete. Now if you try to register a MultiCmp it will extract the individual rfcmp's from that file into a subfolder. Once that is done you go into that subfolder and right click on the individual rfcmp files and select "Register...".

Be sure that you uninstall the original MultiCmp from your server and then install these new modified rfcmp files manually and then create a new vmod. Otherwise it will not pick up your new GetMod URL. It is actually the vmod that contains the download URLs. The URLs are extracted from the rfcmp files when building the vmod.

HAHAHAHA... Which just gave me an idea of a WAY better way of doing this. Rather than building new components and hosting the modified components. Server admins can install the original components and then modify the GetMod URL in the MFT files... and then when they build the vmod it will pick those URLs up.

Hahaha.. Should have thought of this a looooong time ago. I am going to overhaul my tool now. When I am done, my tool will look more like the ModMgr. You run it and it will list everything you have installed. From there you can click components and modify the GetMod URL and then register them. The files that you actually host on your webserver can actually be the original unmodified rfcmp files. This should be WAY more intuitive. Hmmm.. The only problem is a lot of mods are distributed as MultiCmps only and GetMod doesn't work with Multi's. I will add a button that lets you build individual rfcmp files for MultiCmps. Then you can host those individually.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  6. fujitsu1

fujitsu1 Registered

Thanks a lot for that hard work. But answer me if you can: which is the reason of this complications to make work something make by Isi and solved by an user? Why dont Isi make it easy? Doesnt have any sense for me to have so many problems to make work Get Mod option.
    Again, thank you so much.

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

This is pretty frigging awesome Noel :)

We are about to organise our first league championship in rf2 and things seem to get better and better thx to peeps like you, much appreciated :)

8. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

New tools seem to work fine.

Nice work Noel :)

9. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Howdy,

I'm really trying to understand how to do this... I just don't get it.

I have downloaded and installed your "Get Mod Registration Tool" and registered at your site for hosting mods.

I've watched your video a couple of times but I just don't get it. I don't suppose that there is a video with English audio?

I'm just trying to make my server more user friendly.

Thanks,

Bryan

10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

First off, I just realized I had a bug related to the working directory not being the core when being called via the context menu. I just fixed that. So start by downloading my tool again. The new one is version 1.0.0.5.

I will write a step by step and then try to do a new video tonight.

Here are the steps:
    1: Register for an account on my service and then take note on your GetMod URL. It is at the top of the page after you create an account. Your URL for example is: http://getmod.srrs-racing.net/getmod.php/Bryan Birtwell
    2: Copy GetModReg.exe into the the <Core>\Core folder. This is the same folder that ModMgr.exe is in.
    3: After copying it into the Core folder, double click on GetModReg.exe. It will then prompt you for your User/Pass and GetMod URL. It will then say, setup complete.
    4: Find an rfcmp that you would like to use with GetMod and right click on the file and select "Register...".
    4a: The tool will tell you that the GetMod URL doesn't match your own and inform you that is it going to repackage the component with your own URL. The tool will make a backup copy of the original rfcmp by adding .back to the filename.
    4b: When it is done repacking it will pop up a dialog where you can type in a description for the component and a download URL. Just minimize this dialog for now and then upload your new component to a webserver somewhere. I normally use Dropbox.
    4c: Once you upload your file to a host you then need to get the direct download URL and then go back to my tool (you minimized it in step 4b) and then paste the URL and then click "register".
    5: Now go into ModMgr and uninstall the original rfcmp and then install the new one that my tool made.
    6: Build a new vmod. (It is important that you build a new vmod with the new component, otherwise it doesn't pick up the new URL).

Most cars are what they call MultiCmps. Think of a MultiCmp as a zip file which contains a bunch of rfcmp files. GetMod doesn't support MultiCmps so to host it on your server you first have to extract the individual rfcmps from the MultiCmp and then register each one individually. My tool will take care of extracting MultiCmps. Here are the steps for a MultiCmp:
    1: Right click on the MultCmp and then select "Register...". It will warn you that it is a MultiCmp and explain that it will extract the individual rfcmps from it into a sub directory.
    2: You will now see a subdirectory with the same name as the MutiCmp. For example Mercedes_SLS_2012_car-v143.rfcmp would extract into a subfolder named Mercedes_SLS_2012_car-v143. You will need to go into that folder and find the individual rfcmp files.
    3: Repeat the steps 4 - 4c of my directions above for each rfcmp in this new subfolder.

Now, when you go into ModMgr to uninstall the original MultiCmp, you will then have to install the individual rfcmp files from that subfolder, not the original MultiCmp. Then build your new vmod.

Once you do it a few times it will not be as confusing.

I have a new tool that will dramatically simplify this whole process. But I have a little bit left to do before releasing it.

11. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Hey Noel,

Thanks so much!

I will try your "step by step" tomorrow after work!

Thanks again!

And, thanks for the tease! "new tool"

Bryan Birtwell

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The new tool is done. I just want to do some initiative documentation, which is something I seem to suck at. I also want to do a video with narration because my silent videos were I am clicking all over seem to be confusing people. Bryan, I will PM you a link to the new tool and another video I did were I type notes in Notepad as I go along, explaining what I am doing. You would be a good test candidate. :) The new tool is WAY better.

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

14. Pelukas

Pelukas Registered

noel!!!!!!.... en mi nombre,en el de mi comunidad y de todos los espaƱoles que jugamos al rf2 ...... muuuchas gracias!!!!