CRT vs Flat panel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saabjock, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Any of you guys still using a CRT monitor ...noticed any dip or gain in gaming performance or any other differences when you made the switch to a flat panel monitor?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Biggest issue would be the refresh rate, tearing and flicker.

3. dandar

dandar Registered

Your question is too open to argue, depending on what is your definition of dip/gain and what do you consider as a performance variable.

To get an extended comparison between both technologies feel free to take a look at this link. (Also note that the neutrality of the article is disputed, so don't take it as the absolute true)

The variables that I consider to make my choice are:

- Contrast ratio (more is better for perceptible image quality)
    - Response time (less is better for gaming)

Led Monitors are my current preferred choice.

4. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

My last CRT was a lovely trinitron, think it could do 200hz and I definitely noticed it when I went to 3 dell lcds at 75hz. If it hadn't been for the extra viewing area, I would have been really upset. Going to 144hz got back what I had lost with the crt, sort of. Couldn't go back though.

5. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

When I moved in 2007, I took my 19" CRTs to the recycling place and dragged them across the parking lot to their final resting place. Two of those on my desk pretty well took up the entire desk. I was glad to never had to lift those again.

That said, the resolution and refresh were great (mine were 75 Hz at the highest res... 1280x1024) and colour accuracy was good (both were Trinitron tubes), input lag was almost non-existent.

6. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Give me a flat panel anyday. 40"+ TVs vs a tiny little 19" box.. yeah no thanks. And you can have 3 screens :)

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Resolutions were lower than these days when I switched, but going from a CRT to a similar resolution LCD the blockiness was very noticeable. In some ways the less precise CRT can be nicer to look at, providing it's at a high enough refresh rate of course.

8. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I posed the initial question to gauge how folks who've made the switch felt after it was done.
    I will be looking for a new 24" or larger flat panel in the next two weeks, having only run rFactor/Rfactor2 on a Sony GDM FW-900 which was recently sold .
    I typically ran all sims at a fairly high resolution (2304 x 1440@85Hz) on that single screen. The CRT was really good in that regard.
    Any recommendations in the $195-240 range?
    What are most of you guys using with good results.

9. ViSo

ViSo Registered

BenQ monitors with 120hz or more is your choice to have excellent results, if not, any 60hz monitor, go for the cheaper one because they will do the same.

Try the PixPerAn program.

10. jayblue

jayblue Registered

I just upgraded to the new BenQ XL2720Z monitor. It is 144hz and uses a non PWM backlight for flicker free display. Compared to my previous Samsung 24" LCD 60hz monitor it is much better for gaming and a pretty viable alternative to a CRT display. It was not cheap but as a package for gaming it is hard to beat. The older XL2720T model can be had for around £250 if you are not so concerned about the PWM backlight or the slightly higher refresh rate of the newer model.

11. Carlo

Carlo Registered

I recently switched to a back-lit 25" IPS flat screen which is generally considered to be a no-no for gaming (color fidelity was more important to me - no dithering). Previously, I had multiple TN screens and only one Pro CRT left. In theory, the relatively slow 11ms response time of the IPS should case lag, but I was surprised that I couldn't detect any, or screen tear for that matter. But then again, I'm old and my vision and reflexes ain't what they used to be.

12. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

On the iRacing forums there's a list of monitor response times measured with Leo Bodnar's lag tester ( http://www.displaylag.com/the-lag-tester-a-new-standard/ ). My Dell IPS panels were in the top-5 response times last time I checked. Not all IPS is bad :)

13. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

Still using CRT 19" 1600x1200 85mhz , like it because it works well for art and gaming . Will upgrade when I find a LCD that's good for both .