What PC is best to run rFactor 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hamiltonfan2205, Apr 20, 2014.

1. hamiltonfan2205

hamiltonfan2205 Registered

I'm saving up for a new PC, that I'm hoping to get soon-ish as my current one isn't good enough for what I want to do, but I'm trying to find what is the best PC to get, I'd like to get one that's under £400 and that's capable of running rFactor 2 with reasonable graphics settings and live streaming at the same time. I'm trying to find what PC is the best one to get. When I was searching on Amazon, I found this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyberpower-...UTF8&qid=1397998320&sr=8-1&keywords=gaming+pc

Would this PC be good enough to run rfactor 2 with reasonable graphics settings and streaming at the same time? Or is there a better PC out there that's under £400 that can do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

As far as I know, rF2 doesn't seem to like AMDs. The description doesn't say anything about the GFX card so I'm assuming it is onboard, which is generally a bad idea imho.
    My GFX card cost as much as this whole PC back when I bought it. I would say it might be able to run rF2 but probably not very good. Then again, I'm no expert.

Btw: FIIIIIIIIIIRST! Haha! Damn, I always wanted to do this. :cool:

Oh, I just saw it has a RADEON 7560 something. AMD again. Not perfect for rF2 as I understand.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

4. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Isn't it ATI graphics cards that rF2 doesn't like? I think AMD processors should be OK, although intel would be better of course.
    I used to run rF2 with a quad core phenom ii and a £100 ATI HD6850 graphics card and had to run at lower than 1080p resolution to get 60fps. I found it driveable at the time and stuck with it for 6 months or so before I upgraded my GPU in order to run it at 1080p and higher AA as there was a lot of jagged white lines.
    I would think it would be cheaper to build your own PC with specs such as an AMD 6350 CPU and 6GB RAM, apparently the next generation nvidia GPUs are due mid-year so wait until they arrive and snap up at least a GTX760 when the price drops.

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

About £500-600 to built a very capable gaming pc. The trick is knowing what to spend the majority of the budget on and what you can get which components have are best for your desired result and which you can live without or live with being less than the best. Graphics card and cpu are the most crucial and need to well selected but you need to know which is the best price-to-performance ratio.

For example, you can buy a GTX 760 2gb for only £140 incl P&P.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  6. RJames

RJames Registered

First of all something very important you mentioned in the first post. Live streaming. Could you define what kind of streaming your looking to do, why is this important? Well if you plan to stream with something like xsplit or similar they will use more CPU power, or if you want to stream with shadowplay your need a nvidia card. Also what sort of quality are you aiming to stream? 720p? 480p?

That first and foremost will define how you use the budget.

£400 is a very tight budget to aim for the lower end of gaming and simultaneous streaming.

Also by judging by your link to amazon, your looking for a prebuilt machine which again will reduce what's available rather than building yourself.

I would personally in any situation stick with Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU.

Could you shed any light on the above questions which would allow a little more understanding to your requirements.

7. hamiltonfan2205

My current PC has AMD graphics card and it runs it ok, I picked out that PC cos the reviews are quite good (someone could run minecraft at highest settings) I use OBS to stream

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I don't think minecraft is a good gauge to measure the graphical prowess of a computer.

9. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde Registered

lol.

I think my old Sinclair Spectrum 128k could also.

10. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

R1pper your pic matches perfect to your text..;)
    Hamilton it is better when you save a bit more money and switch to Intel 1150 (or wait for the next gen.) with a potent i5.

11. SVO

SVO Registered

View attachment 12448

This one even has a steering wheel ready to race.

Seriously though, AMD CPU's have never held me back, but I do run only nvidia. Currently Quad core 940 AMD @ 3.0 ghz and an Nvidia 570. I'm currently wanting to rebuild, but I'm going to move to intel for the first time ever!

12. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Don't look under gtx 670 or newer gtx 760 if you want running rf2 properly. If you are on budget and £400(which is around 670 USD) is all you can afford right now and you can't wait, then i suggest you buy some of mentioned graphic cards. If you have at least 400W power supply you can used old one and also use old pc case if you can. This is two things that you don't want to throw the money, when you are on budget, also keep old hard disk if possible. Then you can also consider some of the combos for example:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-233-OK&groupid=43&catid=2512&subcat=2693
    or will be better if you can buy component separately as cheap as possible. Make sure to buy at least 8Gb 1600MHz of memory and then if you go intel route buy i5 4570, i5 4670 or i5 4670K(K-for overclocking), . And then some good value asrock motherboard for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157370
    or something from extreme series: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157372

This combo(CPU, memory, motherboard) with mentioned parts should not cost more than 400$ in any way, no matter which route you chose(intel or AMD), which leave you with approximately 250 additional bucks for graphic card(you can also buy graphic card for around 170$ and then for 70$ you can buy additional hard disk if you need it)

But DO NOT NEVER buy PC computer as a whole, as YOU WILL BE immediately ripped of for at least 20-25% price. Guaranteed :)

13. SVO

SVO Registered

14. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

With pre-built pc's I think the worst thing is they always hide some junk cheap piece of hardware in there, check the specs carefully and you might notice it.

Whole thread stinks of bait btw.

15. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

100 % agree !

16. hamiltonfan2205

We are going to have a look in a proper PC magazine soon, to see which one is best at a reasonable price. The reason why I'd prefer it to be under £400 is cos I want to get it before next year when my AI series changes to.

17. hamiltonfan2205

The problem is I only use a 1.5 ghz CPU laptop at the mo, and there's no way I'll be able to update it in the way kimikaze said

18. SVO

SVO Registered

True, but with that said, even some of the cheaper laptops are packing a pretty descent punch. With laptops it's the graphics that worries me, but I've seen many many people running rf2 with their laptops on this forum.

19. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde Registered

I play on a laptop and connect to my TV occasionally and use a wireless PS3 controller.

However not bespoke to me the game needs tweaking to fit to the hardware.

I play on a Lenovo Y500
    i7-3630QM
    8GB Ram
    Samsung 840pro SSD
    GT650M SLI

However it's clocked to make the most out of the gfx cards and I run throttlestop to enable to the CPU turbo to run 100% as a theoretical speed of 3.2Ghz.

Plenty of second hard ones on eBay.

Setting on max 1080p I hit 60fps (plr limit) however this drops on a few tracks that are not optimised e.g. Portugal.

20. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I think you need to look secondhand and get the best specs you can find for that money, people are always looking to upgrade. I would avoid laptops unless you need it to be mobile. If you get a desktop you can upgrade it in stages yourself if you get some more money. It's a tight budget to work with.