660 build all black

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Pits, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Pits

Pits Registered

I updated within the standard default screen, I started the game and got 42" of blackness that didn't go any further, I ctrl-esc and saw this error before forcing it to close

"error default creating standard default shader"

I hit Verify and it ends up with

"one or more critical sim files failed verification"

config says

nvidia gtx670
    sync = gpu
    AA =2
    1920x1080 32 bit
    HDR AND FXAA = Ticked ON
    Core I7 bla bla
    DX 9.0c

All our servers are updated with 660 so it's all a bit urgent really
    I don't "play around with things and don't know how so I'm not one of those "have a go sort of guys""

Thanks

2. Carlo

Carlo Registered

There are two work-arounds that I'm aware of. Neither is acceptable, but either one should solve your problem.

SOLUTION #1: Run as Admin

1) Right click the file "Launch rFactor.exe" in the rF2 installation folder
    2) Select "Properties"
    3) Select the "Compatibility" tab
    4) Check "Run this program as an administrator", then click "OK"

SOLUTION #2: Change permissions of "Users" group to "full control" for the rFactor install folder

1) Go to the admin command prompt
    2) Type the following:

cacls "x:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2" /E /T /P Users:F

(Note: change "x:\Program Files (x86)" to the correct installation location)

Both of these solutions result in lower security if rF2 is installed in a "Program Files (x86)" directory. Use at your own risk.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
  3. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

If you didnt do yet, try tick off both in config sim and try to start again. After that, go to video setting ingame and turn both on (one at time and aplying just after). I have some like this in the past and that solved (in my case, since i dont use fxaa, it was the hdr the culprit)

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Reset UI on advanced tab, or install it again by putting lite over the top.

5. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Tried "Reset UI" and "putting lite over top", clean install, update install, etc. None worked without changing permissions.

6. Pits

Pits Registered

SOLUTION #1: Run as Admin

1) Right click the file "Launch rFactor.exe" in the rF2 installation folder
    2) Select "Properties"
    3) Select the "Compatibility" tab
    4) Check "Run this program as an administrator", then click "OK"

Big Hugs Carlo, I can't imagine why that even worked but it did, some ppl know stuff, its all bloody witchcraft.

I think this can go under Solved

7. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Your welcome Pits. Been doing this crap since the early 1980s. Yes ... I'm old, too old. I'm a gray beard (as I limp away in shame).

8. dandar

dandar Registered

The 80's ... my Commodore 64 in color with fast loader cartridge, Formula One Grand Prix, Street Road ... an awesome decade

9. Pits

Pits Registered

You'd fit well in our club Carlo, apart from the "youngins" at 40 we are all over 50's lol. I do so enjoy the years that passed and the few less to come :), there are worse ways to idle time away than doing a simple racing game.

10. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

[​IMG]
    Is this the guess the age thread? HA my first pc, I had Elite on 5.25" floppy, yeah I was a spoiled child.

The beginnings of the ARM chip right there

11. Carlo

Carlo Registered

12. Carlo

Carlo Registered

13. Pits

Pits Registered

ZX-81 with 1K extension, I win :) I remember sitting there with the wife for three days programming it then I bumped the expansion pack, I threw it away (after it hit the wall)

A friend had a working 5meg hard drive from the old library, 3ftx2ftx18", I think he wins now lol

14. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Ah the days of copying a program from a magazine only to find they had misprinted that semi-colon

syntax error wtf? If only there was some way of saving this and coming back to it later........

We had one commodore Pet at our school of over 500 pupils...... look at em now with their new fangled slate looking things and the phones that let you bully someone on the other side of the planet if you want..... don't know they are born half of em ;)

15. dandar

dandar Registered

I truly miss some of that stuff ...

The 10mb hard disk was mi first drive on a 8 Mhz XT using the ESDI controller. It was expensive, but worked for at least 10 years.

I'm not a fan of the ZX but it deserves all my love and respect, the Z80 was the Concorde electronic brain. Just awesome.

My 16kb Casio Electronic Organizer was faster to find a phone's number than most moderns Android's.

Nashua and BASF ! 5 1/4 low density rules, much better than the last generation of 3 1/2 *cough verbatim cough*

Basic (no quickbasic, no visual basic)

But what I really like is extinct now ... those damn datassettes, a day playing with a screwdriver to read 10 lines of code ...

16. Carlo

Carlo Registered

I remember like it was yesterday the first time I saw and put my hands on an Apple II. I was astounded. Up until then I was programming on a DEC VAX mini at the university. The idea of "personal" really rocked my boat. When the IBM PC was introduced, well that changed everything for me. Still have a couple of IBM Model M keyboards (best keyboards ever) in the house.

Times have changed. In high school, the computer system took up half a building. Probably had less power than a smart phone.

17. Carlo

Carlo Registered

ESDI controllers and drives - boy I don't miss those. But yep, they were built like Sherman tanks - never had one fail. The first Compaq 80286 8mhz I owned had rubber shock mounts (on springs I think) to contain the vibration. Come to think of it, SCSI ain't a whole lot better (still use a bunch of Cheetah 15k 320s). Now hard drives are plug and play - where's the challenge?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  18. dandar

dandar Registered

I agree, everything today is "built for dummies", setting up the IRQ and IO address on a controller (with local bus) using only jumpers without interfering the existing devices and when everything was working ... it was simple orgasmic :D
    I've earned the title of technician in the hard way.
    Interwhat ? Call in to my BBS

19. Carlo

Carlo Registered

300 baud, 1200 baud, 2400 baud then wow V.56. I also ran a government BBS (Bulletin Board Service for you young people). Let's see ...
    C800 or D800 and what IRQ was that other card using?