Curved screen/FOV gurus please chime in...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jiffymarker, Apr 17, 2014.

1. jiffymarker

jiffymarker Registered

This weekend I'll be switching from triple screens to a single projector (optima gt760) onto a curved screen.

With my triple monitor setup, I've been very diligent to make sure perspective is correct. Using the zeos/mrpix calculator, side displays at 45°, carefully measured distances. I calculated a vFOV of 32. Multiview on.

What I'm needing help with is understanding how the in-game vFOV SHOULD be calculated with a massive curved screen?
    I'll be using nthusim software to correct for curvature, but with a single projector how will I avoid stretched sides due to not using multiview?
    If my screen was flat, piece-o-cake..
    My eyes will not be equidistant from the screen, the sides will be a little father away.

2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I believe you'll calculate the FOV the same way as you would a normal screen. Take your viewing distance to the center of the screen, and the screen height, and calculate the vertical FOV. Then the software (rFactor) will calculate the horizontal FOV as a function of your vFOV and aspect ratio. The only difference between using a curved screen and a flat screen is how it's projected. Which, like you said, you're going to be using nthusim to take care of that. So, in short, you're pretty much all set to go.

P.S.: I'm still pretty sure you're not supposed to set the side screens in a 3-monitor setup at 45-degrees, but it's probably close enough to most peoples' setups to not really notice a significant difference. (i.e. 42.5 degrees vs. 45 degrees) Unfortunately, I don't have a 3-monitor setup to test it out on, and nobody at ISI has gotten on the boards to set the record straight (oooh...this would be a good ISI Q&A question...if it hasn't already been asked). Also, that's a discussion for another topic, which we've had before.

3. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Is the radius of the curved screen set or can it be changed? That would probably allow correction if the software doesn't do it considering your variable viewing distance. Are you going to be using this in 3d? Be interesting to see if you notice any input lag over the monitors, is it possible to force the optoma to run 120hz in 2d do you know?

4. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

5. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

[​IMG]

I just built a rig and based my view on the dwg above and used the calculated fov. I set the side monitor angles to 45 degrees and went perpendicular out to where the viewing angles would intersect and that would be where my eyeballs would go. I can't see why a curved screen would be that much different. If you want I could do the same for you I just need some numbers like radius, curve length and height of screen. I can give you exact numbers. I love my new setup it feels right and the immersion is excellent. Let me know

6. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

The product pdf doesn't show the full specs, they are on the website only, it says in 3d it's 120hz but in 2d it specifies a max of 85hz why is this anybody know?

7. jiffymarker

jiffymarker Registered

Thanks for the info however, that's the same setup I'm coming from (3 screens, multiview on)
    With multiview off is where I think it gets tricky.
    Perhaps I'll chime in next week when I've got the setup going. I'll post pics.
    Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  8. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

Since rf2 uses vertical fov I would assume that having a curved screen wouldn't matter. Just calc it as you would a flat panel. Im curious as to why you want to go to a smaller resolution? I can see a curved screen working great but with one projector? Have you seen this Vid.. Its not a curved screen but your same concept, I think one projector isn't going to do it for you I could be wrong though..

9. museumsteve

museumsteve Registered

I look forward to seeing how you get on jiffymarker. I've just moved from 3 PJ's to a single BenQ W1080ST and last night started mocking up a curved screen to play around with to see what I can achieve. I've grabbed trials of Immersive Display Pro and Nthusim to play around with for now