Build 660 crashes on launch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by killerwatt, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Perhaps there's confusion between Libraries that are listed by File Explorer and where folders actually reside. Here is a directory listing of my "F" drive using Explorer:

View attachment 12444

Now a directory listing from the command prompt:

View attachment 12445

Note the real folder names "Docs", "Downloads", "Music", "Pictures", "Videos", and so on. Windows created junctions that map Library names to these folders. There are some interesting ones that exist for backwards compatibility with XP applications in Win 7. For anyone interested, at the command prompt on the C: drive root type:

dir /AL /S

2. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

Good luck.

3. Carlo

Carlo Registered

Jeremy, you cannot ignore this. I am not the only one who has this problem with Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

View attachment 12472

Windows itself states that rFactor b660 is not compatible. I've not had a problem with any application other than rF2 b660 since installing Win 7 on this machine in 2010. Also (not trying to be degrading), you seem to be having problems understanding how Windows 7 works. Moving libraries to another drive or partition is a "feature" of Win 7.

View attachment 12473

Once moved, Windows creates a junction that automatically maps "links" to the correct location. If I remember correctly, this is also the case with files located in the "Windows\system32" folder (for security reasons - a fake location). Anyway, the location is NOT the problem. The problem is rF2 compatibility with Windows 7 Ultimate.

I also checked "Local Group Policy" to see if any software restriction or application control policies were being enforced. There are none - all policies are at default settings.

Also checked the registry - the only QT entries I found were for b590 (under the Trolltech key) using Qt4 dlls. Under the software key "rFactor2" there is a single entry that points to the correct start-up location "F:\Program Files (x86)".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  4. Carlo

Carlo Registered

5. DUFFBAG

DUFFBAG Registered

Same issue here with win 8.1. X( "Error creating standard shader"

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can you give more information? Install folders etc?

7. DUFFBAG

DUFFBAG Registered

Core Install on C: ..... Data on D:User/documents/Rfactor2Data.

Not sure if that's what you are after. I am kinda out of my depth here. Cheers XD

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think that's exactly what I was after; you came in with the same error as Carlo, but without any more information it's hard to know if you're having the same or similar issue to him or something completely unrelated.

Now, the fact that you're installing the data to D drive, but under "User/documents" would suggest you've moved your documents to the D drive, which appears to be similar to what Carlo is doing. So if that's a root cause of this issue it's at least likely to be the same issue for you as for him.

If that's the case maybe you could install the data to another folder you've created for the purposes of at least getting the game working? Just guessing really...

9. DUFFBAG

DUFFBAG Registered

Thanks Lazza. I will take your advice and get back to you. I appreciate the help. Thumb is up.