Build 660 Released

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Apr 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Have the uninstall buttons in the launcher stopped working?
    I tried upgrading from a clean 590 to 660 and it failed (first time an upgrade has failed for me), so installed 660 lite over the top and everything seemed ok until I tried to point mod manager to the folder on my network where I keep things. All the mods show up ready for installing but any further click on the mod manager window causes it to stop working.

So I tried to completely uninstall rF2 and start from scratch, the uninstall buttons in the launcher do nothing, if I uninstall using windows or even a 3rd party uninstaller, it says it's successful but all that seems to happen is the shortcut goes and rf2 no longer appears in my installed program list but all the rf2 folders and content remain. Deleting them and reinstalling doesn't help. Anyone got any ideas before I reformat?

2. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Try clean instal of rFactor2.

Uninstall rfactor2 using the uninstall feature.
    Delete the entire rfactor2 installation folder, and any rfactor2 related folder in your My Documents folder (to remove any user data files).
    Next, delete the local license file: Navigate to your “C:\Users\<Your Windows Username here>\AppData\Roaming\.rFactor” folder and delete the files within (you can type this in your Windows Explorer address bar or navigate to it by first disabling “Hide system files and folders” in your folder settings (see windows documentation for more info)).
    Make sure you have downloaded the most recent build of rfactor2 from the appropriate downloads page of rfactor.net and install it into a new clean folder. For rfactor2, using the Content Installer download is best because you can then test the game with minimal content.
    Since you’ve deleted the license file in a previous step, you’ll need to reactivate your game. For rfactor2, run the launcher, select the Purchase tab, then select Reactivate.
    Run rfactor2 with the minimum content and with NO 3rd party community created mods/addons/plugins (content you’ve downloaded elsewhere) and troubleshoot any issues with limited content.

Once you confirm the game is working fine, you can download additional content from the rf2 downloads page at rfactor.net

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I have never uninstalled it, I use only Lite builds

Example: Existing Build 590 in Drive:\rFactor2

1. Rename rFactor2 to rfactor2OLD

2. Install Lite build 660 into fresh rFactor2 folder ( existing registry, .rFactor credentials and ~MASTEMP are used, not overwritten )

3. Next I do the remove uninstall routine.
    Delete the uninstall files from the rFactor2 folder.
    Go to Programs add-remove / Program and Features, click uninstall rfactor2 when it says "cant find it do you want to delete it's entry" I say yes.

Launch rFactor2 it says hello DD and it is ready to go.

4. Before you add ANY content you can redo all settings, player and controller and config.

5. Add your content ... yadda and I always advise to fresh install any content you use ISI and add ons.

6. Test

7. Add back mods, skins, setups, realroad, etc from the rFactor2OLD folder

8. Next Lite build repeat 1-7

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Sometimes my game would black screen and crash upon startup but it's only when I changed some graphics driver stuff and then haven't re-run the game graphics config setup utility thing, or sometimes with a new rF2 install.

I bet a lot of people's problems would simply be cured by just running the rf2 graphics utility setup thing. One time I was almost pulling my hair out for an hour trying to figure out why my rF2 kept crashing to desktop after startup or sometimes crashing after loading the track; all I had to do was run the graphics setup config thing. Go to the main install of rF2 on your PC and from there I think it's right in the folder called "core". It's an EXE file, run it, select all the correct options, then click ok. Then start game.

EDIT: I forgot, you don't even need to manually go to the "core" folder, the rF2 main startup thing that you open to play the game (the window that allows you to choose wether you want to play offline, online, or devmode) has a button at the bottom right called "configure sim". Just click that instead of manually looking and clicking through folder and files.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Actually mate I never ever touch the utility and simply run settings/ resolution very first thing a new build launched.

I think it can depend a lot on your specs and chipsets.

Like all other GMotor config.exe was never right since XP gen cards, , Nascar2003 was another started playing up even earlier remember ? :)

I don't know why config.exe could not have been made to read system info instead ( for chipset, cpu, GHz and memory )

Like the inf display in rf2 shows right CPU, no overclock but right video memory and ram where as config.exe is wrong.

But it never really mattered did it ? you can set GTR , GTL rFactor config entries = 0 and it still runs the same , just shows warning levels for quality settings in menus.

rF2 is the same ? My config.exe :

CPURating=1
    SystemRAM=0
    VideoRAM=4007
    ObjDetail=1
    TexDetail=1

Should that not be

CPURating=5
    SystemRAM=8096
    VideoRAM=4007
    ObjDetail=3
    TexDetail=3

Makes no difference either way to how rfactor2 runs or it's menu I can see does not even have warning levels.

Maybe I have it back to front.

As soon as I launch a new build " with nothing installed" I boot OFFLINE very first thing
    Next I click settings / resolution and do it there.

A few times oinks ago I did use " Configure Sim " and had stuff ups , never touched it again. :)

P.S. Maybe that is because my rFactor2 does not use user/documents.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes, CPU rating and all that you listed don't really matter as far as I'm aware of. I just meant in general, setting the resolution, refresh rate etc. I had a couple times where rF2 would crash once the track finished loading, it kept doing it, then I realised that my rF2 looked like it was in some weird resolution. I exited game ran config (either, manually clicking the EXE or clicking "configure sim", same thing) set the proper settings (resolution, vsync options, refresh rate, aa, multiview, etc.) then game worked fine.

Just saying that for 1 out of 10 or 20 people out there this could be the fix for any issues. You never know :)

7. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi Tim, maybe this bug is already known but when i use the "play replay" feature, the pit road stay closed (red light) ? Still there with 660.

For the rest, it's fantastic job as always. ;)

Ps: An idea when the rain effects will be completed? (rain drops on visor, etc... ) No big update till now but i notice some updates on rainspray and reflections from my point of view, correct? ;)
    Cheers

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah I was talking more in terms of what it could have been years gone by.

Like to properly rate CPU and GPU performance, where is the value in settings with CPU overclock for example, to have recommended levels more defined I meant would have been nice any motor/motor2 sim

rF2 Bench test would be nice, give us a better base to work from when comparing settings vs fps.

More ports have them sims seem to get left behind in this regard.

=================

On the settings / resolution VS "configure sim" I think you missed my point.

Don't play with config at all leave it alone.

If I change HDR or AA in settings/resolution I get a black screen too okay.
    I press the windows keys, then focus rF2 window again it comes back just like alt-tab does because I use fullscreen window mode.

No that is not the point. lopl

Now say I use "configure sim" and change the same HDR / AA when I then boot rF2 it will go black screen or do even stranger things as if I had just changed settings in the rF2 menu.

So I have to press windows key again but sometimes that wont work when I used "configure sim", then I have to do alt-tab and I will then most likely check settings/ resolution menu anyways just to make sure it is okay, so ..... why go there ( 'configure sim" or config.exe) to begin with I guess I saying. ?

Do it in ALL in the Launcher, you don't need to have the config icon or use it ever. :)
    Difference being with other Motor2 of course, they do not have resolution settings in game which can lead people to play with config.exe in rF2.

P.S.

If and when you have installed a new driver don't boot config.exe.

Just run rF2, mine with a new driver will start in 1024x768 I change that to 1920x1080, everything else is still set as it was.

Click apply, it changes res, I go to room. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  9. Scar

Scar Registered

Ok I did the auto update no I get a blank/black screen and nothing happened reinstalled and same problem.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

When exactly do you get a blank screen? What is the exact screen and thing that you click on right before the blank screen?

11. Scar

Scar Registered

I guess I had to reboot because now it's fixed.
    Thanks for asking anyways.

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Interesting, can anyone confirms this?

Not that I don't believe you DD, just want to make sure its a more valid procedure then just being good enough for one user :)

13. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Quote Originally Posted by DurgeDriven View Post

P.S.

If and when you have installed a new driver don't boot config.exe.

Just run rF2, mine with a new driver will start in 1024x768 I change that to 1920x1080, everything else is still set as it was.

Click apply, it changes res, I go to room.

Yup, I'll confirm this.

When I upgrade drivers, I start the launcher, go into "Configure Sim", change the resolution which the game defaults at 1024x768 (at least on my machine) to 1920x1080; every thing else is as it was before the driver upgrade.

That's it... hope this helped,

Bryan

14. Caterham_Super_7

Caterham_Super_7 Registered

Just updated to 660. cant manage mods (screen appears for about 0.5 sec "Scanning for RF2 files" ), cant update even after downloading x86 files :(

also it now appears that my lifetime subs will expire next month ! :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You might find solutions to your issues in this forum, though probably not as much in this thread.

As for your subscription, first check that you actually did take the lifetime option (many people have been mistaken already) and if you're 100% sure about it contact Tim.

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Not really because now i'm confused lol.
    I thought DD was avoiding the exe and avoiding the configure sim button in the launcher, he go's straight into rf2 and does it in settings/res.

Or at least that's what I understood from it :)

17. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

When you update video drivers, sim will revert to 1024x768. So you start the launcher and then hit configure sim button and change to proper resolution.
    Mine always reverts about every 4 or 5 starts and I have to change it back from 1024x768 again... it never sticks. Real pita, because I'm on wide screen TV. If it isn't configured for proper res. it blacks out and I have to hit the off button.
    Some people even delete cbash files, and let them rebuild when updating driver.

18. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

You can possibly turn the config file to be "read-only" (config.ini in UserData it seems at first look) to see if that fix this problem. As other said, this "reset" occur for me only when I update drivers, or when I swap my display device from my monitor, the TV or the projector. It mean they reset if they detect any kind of displaying changes...

Saying that, I always hit the Config button to be sure my resolution is the good one ;)

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yes correct mate

1. New driver or New Lite install

2. Run rFactor2 Launcher as you normally would

3. Click Single Player .......... not Online Race not Configure sim , not a shortcut

Single player so settings take, you do not really need to for resolution but I do it anyways , force of habit, same as controller and settings and room changes , always offline first.

4. In Single Player

Click Settings/Resolution
    Set preferred resolution
    Click Apply

5. Close Single player

6. Click Online Race, set room and join

*If you in a hurry you can just click Online Race and do it in server/ settings/resolution, same thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It's been this way forever. Even rf1. When you install new drivers the GUID of the GPU changes so rf can only assume it is a new card.

I race at 1080 Fullscreen but when broadcasting, VNCing or other random tasks I like to run windowed at 720. I made a launcher for rF1 that would modify the Fullscreen option and resolution number in the config.ini and totally ignore the new GUID. Sometimes new drivers would change the result ion numbers and I would have to mess around with it a little. But for the most part it worked perfect. So I had two icons. One for 720 and one for 1080.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.