Is it possible to repaint wheels, windshield banner and pacecars?

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by Frank N. O., Apr 14, 2014.

1. Frank N. O.

Frank N. O. Registered

Hi, I've tried to search the forum but no keywords I used seemed to give a result so I hope it's ok to ask here.

Is it possible to repaint the wheels (at least rims if not also tyrewalls) and/or the windshield banner on the ISI GT-cars (GT-R, Corvette, Camaro and 370Z), and if so then what names need to be added for it to work?

Also, can you create a custom livery for the safety car (SLS)?

If it isn't possible for the current cars then I hope it will be for the 2009 Panoz Esperante GTLM GT2 when it arrives. The Panoz Team PTG livery just isn't complete without Yokohama tyres, and my old white/green livery from the rF1 Panoz GT2 leauge needs coloured wheels (I just hope the rF2 model will use one of the two real BBS racing wheels and not the streetcar 5-lug wheels but of course that depends on licensing rights).

2. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

It is possible to alter the windshield banner on the C6R, Camaro and 370Z. Haven't tried the G-R, but I suspect the same applies.
    e.g. Extract the CAMARO_WINDSHIELD_OUT.DDS from c:\users\...\rFactor2\Installed\Vehicles\camaro_car\1.3\camaro.mas using MAS2.exe
    Repaint the banner area of the windshield as desired and resave it.
    To apply it to your custom paint job:
    e.g., your custom paint base file is My#33ALT.dds, then rename your customized CAMARO_WINDSHIELD_OUT.DDS to My#33ALTWINDSHIELDOUT.dds. Note the deletion of the underscore between WINDSHIELD and OUT...that's actually important (I've no clue why).
    Now pack My#33ALT.dds and My#33ALTWINDSHIELDOUT.dds in a .mas compressed archive file and name it My#33ALT.mas. Note that the base file name for all 3 file types is identical (My#33ALT) but is a maximum of 10 characters. Using a .mas archive is the only way to share multi-file liveries.

I have no idea on how to paint wheels using this method. The Clio was the only template that was ever provided with a wheel rim .psd.
    It might be possible to extract the rim.dds, repaint it and create a mod update, but that is too complicated for me to explain and frankly I've found doing that is like trying to drive a nail with a hammer blindfolded. I get it eventually but it's like I get lucky when it works.

For the SLS pacecar, you could extract the .dds and modify it but without a .psd template it'll be less than fun.

3. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

the panoz does not use the 'wcrims' material name, it uses 'pz_rst_rim2013' for rim and 'pz_rst_rimb2013' for rimb, so the only way is to make your own update including duplicate rims and alter upgrades etc which is too much hassle for most or you could inject altered .dds files back over the existing ones and change the default wheels colours to suit.

It works on the clio because they used another wildcard material, wcextra0.

The material names need changing by isi themselves, which I am sure will happen eventually.

4. Frank N. O.

Frank N. O. Registered

Thank you both very much for your replies :)

Deadpedal: Thank you, I didn't know you could assembled a custom livery in a mas-file, that's really practical indeed, especially when sharing league liveries. I also didn't know I had to write "windshieldout" for the Corvette since in the mas-file it's just called "windshield" but doing that made all the difference. Strange that the names in the mas-file and for extra skins are different, but as long as it works then I'm happy.

I last tried making 3D-models some 10 years ago when a whole car had fewer polygons than a single wheel does now. Therefore I don't know about wildcards or what else governs what files can be used. It's only from observations I've come to think that it's somewhere in the mesh-file that you set if a model can use textures outside the mas or not.

Btw, Liquid4653, are you a beta-tester or are you speaking of the Panoz AIV Roadster wheels? The Panoz I was referring to was the yet-to-be-released Esperante GT2 racingmodel seen in the old group renders and here in front of the Corvette: http://rfactor.net/web/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/20101003.jpg
    Where the rF1 was a 2005-2006 model the rF2 will be the very last 2009-model which looked like this (here with the optional 2-piece BBS wheels): https://www.flickr.com/photos/20238451@N00/3802212473/in/photostream/
    It's dawned on me that I think I've seen those wheels in rFactor already, I think the exact same model was made (in extreme detail and quality) by GSMF for the 2005 Porsche Carrera Cup mod.

Anyway, thank you both again for sharing your knowledge, it is very much appreciated :)

5. Liquid4653

Liquid4653 Registered

Hi Frank, was speaking about the isi panoz, blonde moment lol