BSIMRACING article

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Valter Cardoso, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

I am running rFactor 2 on a 120Hz display, but I want it to look good as well, so I maxed out all options available. I won't invest 600€ for a graphics card though, or even go for an SLI setup because it's too expensive in my eyes. With my GTX770 I hover around 60fps (that's why I said minimum) at the start of the race, when there are lots of cars around me, to around 80-100 during the actual race and 100-120fps when there's noone nearby. I don't think that there will be much more of a difference between 100 and 150fps to be honest because I can see and feel close to zero input lag. I can't understand how people can drive with older LCD TVs, getting input lag like 200ms - so I'm with you on this one.

But yes, you're right, like I wrote myself people don't seem to upgrade for rFactor 2 like others would do for the newest installment of their favourite graphics showoff shooter game. Which I don't understand actually, because some of them are paying a couple of thousand € for their sim equipment like rigs, seats, shifters, triple screens, mounts, dashes etc yet they are not able to put some € in their PC. You don't need a real monster to enjoy rF2, but if your hardware has troubles maintaining 60fps in rFactor 1, well, it simply is time to upgrade.

About the timezone and the screenshot I made: I am sure that the situation will actually never be completely different. Sure, in the evenings there will be more people online, but I don't expect to see at least 5 different servers which are public and well populated (read: at least 20 people on them).

2. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

It's not the input lag that improves with 150fps on 144hz, it's the background slideshow that starts to disappear on tight cornering. The grandstands at Malaysia for instance. So much kinder to your eyes. I will continue to upgrade every time a decent improvement occurs in both graphics cards and monitors. If you want the best experience possible, you have to.

3. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

I can see a clear difference between 60fps and 80fps, but everything above 80fps is near to impossible to see for me personally, so there's no improvement to gain for me (I have bad eyes with some thick glasses too, hehe). It varies from person to person.

But let's get back to the "is rFactor 2 a ghost town?" thingy now. :)

4. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I raced people every night last week on public servers so I would say from experience, no it isn't a ghost town.

And the week before.
    And the week before that.
    If I could be bothered to join in with a league I could race even more people and they would be better behaved than public server racers.

It's out there, it just seems more fun to complain about it than actually get on your pc, tune the program to your hardware, and go racing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
  5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Spreading like wildfire. This BS article just got posted on the iracing forums. Looks like it's serving it's purpose as to turn people away from rF2. Like I said, a self destructing article to the sim racing community.

6. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Is iRacing losing people does anyone know? It's hard to know without being part of that community but this article comes from somewhere and it stinks to high heaven imo.

7. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

All the more reason for ISI to start a marketing push.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

These issues have not existed since we reversed the usage of the new prediction code. If you still get it, you are using too much CPU, or still have the flag set to the new prediction code.

9. Hectari

Hectari Registered

3 months for a dollar is the current deal i've been offered to go back... not sure what you can read into that but it's never been as cheap!

10. 88mphTim

They are the same bad points people raised on this forum at one time or another. I also think people are getting a bit worked up here. It's the same people commenting across all the sim racing sites on the same things they have been commenting on already.

11. 88mphTim

I got a year for $1, but that was a 7 year old account. But I do doubt they are losing people. It always has appeal now a lot of their marketing has switched from using real life racing, to gamers. The major problem is that once you have put a certain amount of money in, do you want to stop your subscription and lose everything you paid in? Probably not. I think iRacing won't be in trouble any time soon. :) The offers are just what they do. Each user they get in the gates is worth a certain amount, the chances of someone just spending $1 after they see a new track they wanted 7 years ago, etc, are unlikely.

12. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

Jeez this is not a great advert for the RF2 community. Empty Box is making valid points and just getting a load of flak from people denying problems that plainly exist. He is right, and he speaks a hell of a lot of sense. The online side is just plain bad, and yes public servers matter. New drivers are not born fully-formed racing in your leagues. They start on public servers, learn their way, get talking to people and eventually reach your league. Without the gateway drug they'll never move onto the hard stuff.

To those arguing that public racing always leads to a crash-fest, it does NOT have to. Just try driving on iRacing. You get some idiots but there's a hell of a lot of good racing there, because of the carefully limited choices and easy availability of practice servers matching the week's races. RF2 needs that, and organised race times so that people can practice, and can race.

I would also entirely agree that ISI's financial future depends on them selling a lot of copies of RF2, including a lot of lifetime or annual subscriptions. If the online is crap then that won't happen and we won't see RF2 reach its potential. That would be a tragedy because the sim is bloody fantastic. It's the best driving experience I've had and I drive RF1, RF2, AC, iRacing and the Simbin games among others. With the weather and day/night transitions, the real road, you guys have a sim that's lightyears ahead of competing products but with just that one fatal flaw, online [and a secondary one of performance but we'll leave that for now]. Fix that and you've got a world-beater.

Tbh the hordes descending on any critical reviews and flaming the hell out of them (and the foaming at the mouth here) really makes RF2 look bad, and will put people off, you guys really need to think about the image you present to the outside world. I'm presently in early development stages of a solution which would help the whole community but seeing this kind of thing makes me wonder if I'd be better holding back and applying my skills elsewhere.

13. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

No you should apply your skills to the app you have planned, because as you have said it is light years ahead. Why would you waste your skills on an inferior product?

Emptybox posted a video exhibiting the prediction code problem with that build, as evidence that the netcode is completely broken to the point you cannot race properly. Other videos show that you can use it and it is adequate that's all. Nobody is such a fanboy to say it's perfect as is. Clearly it wants improvement, clearly we want more people.

I put it down to the thing that is trying to be simulated, more testosterone in sim racing than a real life paddock, and I never thought that was possible.

14. 88mphTim

Selling copies doesn't hurt, but that kind of statement implies knowledge. What information do you have? Small track team? Same it's been since before rF2 was announced. Small dev team? Nobody checks the credits and counts names, eh? rF2 dev team is bigger now than it ever has been. Apart from the "WAT, two people?" track team reaction, what information are you getting that those of us actually working for the company, and perhaps are even managing revenue streams that have nothing to do with rF2 yet, don't have? Because frankly, your post is contradictory. You tell others not to put people off, then you spout nonsense about ISI. An honest viewpoint that is not.

15. Domi

Domi Registered

And that's why iRacing is more expensive than other games.

16. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Good strategy no doubt, a certain number will stick. I came very close to renewing in the dark days of the online join problems, but when I reached the stage where it showed what content I already had and it really hit me that i'd be buying a bunch of tracks and a new car, only to most likely buy another bunch of tracks when the next season started I closed the window and abandoned it. It would only have been a short term thing and I couldn't justify the outlay only to walk away from it again.

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Re.Iracing, it's a great service, my subscription runs out in a couple of months,
    but now I'll only renew on these type of offers
    if their offered at all of course

rf2 is just starting to suit my needs now, I did have some frustrating times with it not running well etc, have gone single screen mode (3d) in rf2 whilst I await the rift this really really helps with performance (200fps-ish)

could do with some decent online but then I guess it's up to me to start a league,
    am considering joining FSR also although it's early days for them ( within rf2 )

18. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

I'm puzzled that you've taken what I've said in such an utterly wrong way. Any company will do better if it sells more stuff. We've got people saying they don't care if public racing doesn't happen, and don't care if you sell more copies. I'm actually being nice and saying yes it's important that you guys sell copies so you can fund more development. What's so dishonest about saying that? I'm here because I think RF2 is bloody brilliant, and with a few improvements it would become an unstoppable force in the sim-racing world. If ISI's own staff fly off the handle at basic criticism then perhaps that speaks volumes about the predicament RF2 finds itself in. Frankly I'm incredibly disappointed.

19. 88mphTim

You actually didn't just say what you're saying now that you did. :)

I didn't respond to any of the criticisms, I bypassed those entirely in my response to you, so I am also confused as to how my response was me flying off the handle over criticism. I responded to a single comment where you passed on financial knowledge to others, which wasn't a criticism from you. You made a statement. False financial knowledge. And were asked about the foundation of your statement. I've seen that more than enough since the interview was published. Imagine if someone started talking about you that way, especially when the information is wrong. Please consider re-reading all the posts involved, your statement about ISI's "financial future", specifically. :) ISI isn't rF2. Although rF2 has been the dev focus.

20. WiX

WiX Registered

Let me make something clear. I wrote the article as a genuine question. Why isn't rFactor 2 as popular as we would have expected it to be? I knew and even wrote in the article that some people would jump up and pull their sword. Still, it it what many out there have been discussing. The article sums up what i have read in what i call mature and unbiased discussion threads. And yes, i do share that opinion. As in every forum out there, also this one contains a selection of posts that criticize any other competing platform out there. Criticism does not necessarily mean its aimed to bring down a product, or community. When i read comments in this thread such as " bringing down rF2" and " conspiracy against" i really start wondering what is the most controversial.. the article itself, or its comments. I am not a fan boy, and surely not a hater. You all have read worse things online... so take it for what it is. An article with a question and an opinion. my 2 pennies.