why is it so hard to host a game so my friend can join?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Milosovic Lamunda, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Milosovic Lamunda

Milosovic Lamunda Registered

Is there not a simple step by step guide!!!!

please help

thanks

2. ozspeedfreak

ozspeedfreak Registered

All rF2 requires is for you to open ports 54297 and 64297 in your modem and to add an exception in your firewall. How to do that depends on the make and model of your modem. Google "port forwarding" with the make and model and follow instructions.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

because it's not simple, unless your a total professional on your particular :

windows version
    modem

about 25 hours of fiddling & googling will make it possible though, if you have the drive & energy

good luck

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
  6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

In there

[​IMG]

I have only IPv4 selected no networks, no IPv6, nothing else to run dedicated on single PC, browser , email , yadda

7. pkelly

pkelly Registered

Thx, Durge - I was stuck there too :-(

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Should read DNS Servers

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm pretty sure all Milosovic is trying to do is simply host a race online. A "Quick Host" or whatever it's referred to now. I've never had to touch IPV this, DNS that, open so and so ports, etc. etc. to play on or host an online game in any videogame in my life.

Milosovic, basically you can still host from your own PC without having to own actual servers and such, but I wouldn't call it quick host anymore, even though ISI still refers to it as "Quick Host".

You can't just go into the game, pick some cars, pick a track, set some settings / rules and then race and wait for others to join anymore. Now you have to actually go out of game, create a vmod with a predetermined track-list as if you're supposed to be psychic and know ahead of time every single track that you and others might eventually feel like racing on, then go in the game and join...

Also, you can't just pick every track you have for the vmod (so that none are left out in order to cover all your bases) because if a person wants join and there is JUST ONE track that they don't have (even though they might have 9 out of the 9 other tracks on your vmod list, AND also happen to have the very track being currently used on) then they are screwed and locked-out.

The entire online system/structure needs MAJOR, MAJOR WORK. More work, BY FAR, than any other area in the entire game including graphics, sound engine, etc.

10. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Don't blame the game, blame yourself, for being unwilling to accept the facts of how the game works. Once you accept the facts, either figure out the 5 minute job of setting up a server OR join one of the 100+ empty servers.

11. Armando

Armando Registered

Mostly agree, but that said ISI could make some improvements to make the process easier, and they probably will.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

U cant join the list of empty servers because as long as they have 1 single track that you don't have than you can't even join it.

13. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

I remember last time I wanted to create a host server so me and my friend could have some fun, once we started it basically took hours of reading the stuff here on forum, try to making it work, forwarding the ports, calling each other several times, both trying to be a host, etc etc, and we never made it work.

In the end we simply jumped on an empty server scratching our heads because we lost time that we will never get back..

14. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

[​IMG]

Again with this bs.

Even for a moron like me learning to setup a server took 2 hours tops, I never bothered because it seemed like aggravation because people who have not bothered to learn it post bs about how it doesn't work even when you do everything right, and you can't join servers and it's all ISI's fault. Once you learn to make a mod (decide which vehicles and tracks your server will run) with the mas2 tool by following the video in denstjiros link to the guide. You simply click host and you will be presented with the normal hosting options you would expect in any game in the form of a popup box which is pretty self explanatory. You can further optionally modify things by altering the muliplayer.ini file. Other than doing this you may have to forward ports because Upnp isn't enabled (well it is a bit but seems to add delays to the join button staying greyed out). Follow the guides to learn how to forward ports if you don't already know, quite honestly it is worth knowing because not all software is a console port where everything must be one click simplicity for simpletons. You may have to allow exceptions in your firewall, but if you run std win firewall it asked you when you installed rF2 at which point you would have allowed it because you want to use rf2 online right?

Once you have done it once it will then literally take you 5 minutes to change or setup a different custom server.

Advantages:

Every server you run will be saved, want F1 on a monday, karts on a tuesday etc. simply select from a dropdown box to rerun any server you had set up. Even run a copy of someone elses server you joined previously. All within seconds.
    Because clients joining need each vehicle and track the server runs it is impossible to get a mismatch, mismatches are one way cheats can take advantage and ruin an online experience. You may enable downloads for clients that have been too lazy or stubborn to obtain the tracks or vehicles your server runs. If you can't join a server it simply means either you have been too lazy or stubborn to download the required tracks and vehicles, or the person hosting the server has not setup downloads, or they have not forwarded ports that need forwarding, that is all.

Disadvantages:

You can't click one button from within the game to start the making a server process. (if you read some of the threads on hosting you will know that this can be done by a third party but hasn't, indicating that ISI may do it as part of the works in progress)
    You have to watch a video and read some threads to use it the first time.

Some people don't like it (without trying it) for reasons they can't back up with any good evidence. Fact is, it isn't that hard or there wouldn't be so many servers that you can join. If I can do it anyone can. If it already works it doesn't need major work. It needs a nice pdf that's all really. And people to stop squinnying about it.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What a doomsayer you are. lopl ;)

You do not have to go out of the game to create a vmod , I use fullscreen windowed, I download new tracks, install, create and edit mods while I am lapping, seriously.

Tell me in what other sim can you set up your next race, change cars or skins all while in room. That is a BiG plus to me. :)