Do cockpits really rule the roost?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Krayzi, Mar 31, 2014.

?

What's your preferred racing driving view?

1. Cockpit

155 vote(s)
    93.4%
  2. Roof cam

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. Bumper cam

4 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Chase

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Mostly cockpit view but occasionally bumper cam for some cars that have cockpits with poor visibility. I race mainly offline so I just go with whatever suits me.

2. mbezik

mbezik Registered

i use a projector and if I use the cockpit cam it looks like im driving inside a giants car with the screen in front of me being 15 feet, kinda forces me to opt for either the roof cam or nose cam which both give a more immersive and realistic view for me using the projector

3. Bkim

Bkim Registered

Cockpit view, all aids off for every sim i drive. MP race needs these settings otherwise i wont join.

4. sg333

sg333 Registered

Cockpit view if its done right. I am already sitting in a chair, holding a steering wheel, looking at a screen. I do not need to see a pair of arms holding a steering wheel infront of that.

5. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

blah blah blah to each their own. What works best for me might not for you. Does it really matter what a majority thinks? You don't need community approval for anything, if it works for you. All view are equally flawed.

6. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Cockpit view, but with a very low FOV(23_27) and with virtual steering wheel disabled!

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

No one has suggested you must use cockpit view.

Your interpreting this thread how you like.

If you don't care or don't careto discuss it, then don't join in the conversation.....you know....because "supposedly" you don't care. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
  8. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Cockpit is abour realism. The view is worse, but that is the part of the car. f.e. F1 drivers, especially in 2013 season had extremelly bad views, the part of the challenge was still to hit every apex and every track out.
    Cockpit always on!
    Even the stupid HUDs people use for racing i find realism breaking, use it for practise, but in race, switch it off. or assign a button to switch it on and off only for when needed. The view is very deciding and if you have very good view it makes things a lot easier.. of course

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I like to drive remote control when room is quiet. lol ;)

Also another one, when a car is following you real close jump in their cockpit to steer. p

Usually I get comments like " DD whats up with your steering you are all over the place " lol p

=============

I would rather ISI release a 2nd rFactor2 myself.

"PRO VERSION"

It would have no aids, menus or views that are fantasy ............or as close as you can possibly get.

That is true.

Having a simulation that only had cockpit view, no aids or arcade menus would take it to a new level in your subconscious.

You could still opt to drive the normal version ?
    But everytime I bring it up i get bashed or told I am on a ego trip ??? ( wtf ??? ) lol ?
    I don't get the problem ? :)

At least everyone on the 2 servers would be on same page to more of a degree.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
  10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

ROFL
    I'm gonna try that for sure just for a laugh :)

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Did that since SCGT days, always cracks me up. :)

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I try to sit for my height ( 6' 1" atm and shrinking hehehe )

One thing gets me with seat positions in RF2 is the range, you can replicate a dwarf or Robert Wadlow ( tallest person in recorded history )

It would be nice if you could set your height in driver profile or have a preview window and seat positions in all cars were edited and set accordingly beforehand with only small variables in movement either way.

13. coops

coops Banned

cockpit = simulation. nothing more to say when playing a sim.

14. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

View attachment 12193

One wheel, external instruments blended as close as possible to the screen view...Works for me :)

15. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

I voted Cockpit (with triples/VR) but on consoles I always used Bonnet cam with single monitor

16. tjc

tjc Registered

That picture is very...

small :)

---

I never said earlier but I too have the virtual wheel/arms etc off so just one steering wheel and one set of arms...

Mine. :)

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
  18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I played grand prix for 2 years straight in only television cam mode, and i frequently play RFactor 1 in tv cam mode as well. Of course thst's with steering help on, but I still control all the braking and acceleration parts (keyboard) myself.

19. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Sometimes, in modern open wheelers, i keep steering wheel without arms locked just to avoid the empty space between my steering wheel and the cockpit.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Exactly, it's about the in-game image spawning from the exact point where the in-game driver's eyeballs are, regardless of if you have a real dashboard/guages or not, regardless of if you sit 1 foot below the vertical centre of your monitor or wherever.

The viewpoint onthst second image is from a completely different and unrealistic perspective/point than cockoit view. You are seeing the view as if you stuck you eyeballs on the front bumper or hood of the car. That is a completely different perspective. It doesnt matter what you have or don't have in your real-world cockpit, and it doesn't matter where you sit or don't sit relative to your monitor in you real-world cockpit. There is only 1 place that the games image to your screen should be rendered from for a realistic view, and that is from where the in-game's driver's eyeballs are.

If you like the other view then that is great, whatever makes you happy, but in terms of realism it is incorrect.