Karts 0.991 and Quebec SuperKarts 1.07 track available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 29, 2014.

1. maxrod

maxrod Registered

It would be good to see more development with these as in ffb in the future as we can see there is a big community of people, Hope to maybe see more classes of karts as in kart racing pro, I agree with spinelli this is better than GSC and better then I ever expected the more you play with them the better they seem to get.

2. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Try driving the kart full negative, then try full positive. Which one is more oversteery? I'm not saying whats right or wrong just what the reaction is to that setting in the Kart. There are front and rear torsion bars as well so I don't understand how you think there isn't? Torsion - antiroll pretty much the same thing. Anyway on -0.5 the kart oversteers and +0.5 it understeers, on my sim anyway.

I agree this blows away gsc karts, how good are the shifter karts going to be......? Can't wait.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
  3. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Tim, can animate the whole driver instead just arms, hands and head, for now if you move the whole torso to the sides the head stay in the middle.

4. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Yes I played around with those settings and 'friction' seems to provide slightly more raw and direct ffb, at least with my T500. This isn't necessarily always the case though, as can be read from this answer I got on the matter from one of the devs :

"These are fed via a standard DirectInput function straight to the driver which choose what to do with it. In other words, we have nothing to do with their actual functionality. We set it once and leave it.

I think the standard physics definition of damping vs. friction is that the first one ramps up force with speed, the second should only resist the direction (so that only one value is needed - the strength of the resistance to direction). HOWEVER, it appears that every hardware manufacturer makes up their own definitions.

Similarly, I haven't figured out what the ramp of that coefficient looks like (if I set it to 1.0, at what speed would a damper saturate? no idea here.) But hopefully saturation is so obvious that they've done it right. "

5. SVO

SVO Registered

I finally made it online last night for an hour. I generally wasn't spinning out at first since I was just trying to learn the car and keep a steady pace. So I was quite a bit slower than a few guys. What I found helped me as I pushed harder and started to spin was to make sure I was laying off the brakes in the corners. Until I got better control of the car and got used to the brake pressure I needed spinning was a problem. Maybe other Kart newbies are having the same problem. I just try to do my braking before the corner and TRUST the car will turn. The TRUST part has been very hard for me to master. It also helped tremendously when a generous member of our community helped me out with a setup.

6. sg333

sg333 Registered

Kind of disappointed I couldnt find any Junior kart only servers; I think they are much more fun to race and produce closer racing than the F1 karts.

7. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

I'm waiting for these Karts

http://www.arma3.com/news/bohemia-interactive-presents-arma3-karts#.UzsNovmSzNs

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Tried the karts again and discovered that they feel so much better with "slow" turn setting. Loved the junior karts after that but didn't yet manage to find good ffb setting with f1 kart (0.8 multi was good with junior karts but maybe too weak with f1 karts, 0.9 was maybe already too strong, wasn't smooth anymore).

But now I like the karts too, feels more to what I have tried irl.

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I use the default "1.0" because it matched my experience in fast rental karts. Wheel was very stiff and my hands and arms ached alot.

10. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I achieved that with lower ffb multi also.

When I drove karts irl feet hurt more than arms.

There were no fear to spin the karts that I drove irl so I think I have to try these karts someday before I can make a proper judgement.

11. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I have adjusted some things and am now using ffb multi of 1.7! Basically the stronger you go the more they feel like the real thing in the respect that it is really difficult to spin a real kart out, they are easier to save than lose. At 1.7 it is very nearly clipping on the corners, and it will clip if you collide with tyres. But most importantly the snap saves you can achieve at every corner remind me of the real thing so much more, with the wheel trying to wrench itself out of your hands as the grip snaps in and you get the power back down.
    To be able to play at these levels it is necessary to angle the wheel correctly and hold it properly so that it is mainly bicep doing the work. Just the way the AI are holding the wheel. A big angle at your elbow and your forearms and thighs parallel. I can lair around the track now with any setup and steering ratio, such a massive difference just upping ffb from 0.9 to 1.7 and altering my physical wheel angle.
    So for anyone else with a CSW with F1 rim try this. My physical wheel is tilted to about 35 degrees. running Fanaleds : FFB multi of 1.7 : ffb type = friction : minimum torque = 0.03000 : throttle brake gearbox clutch effect steering axis all enabled (some of these won't effect the kart but they feel nice in other vehicles so I enable them) FOV = 32 (triple screen)

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

The fastest rental karts i've driven would do 65mph/104kph on the straights (max kart speed 70mph) and there was definitely some degree of self-preservation at work after a few run off the tracks and flying over mounds at 30-40mph. They were single engine, total hp 13. I guess somewhere between the junior and the f1 but more junior.

Edit: I amended the engine to a single and half the hp (so only 13). My mistake, thanks Hectari for spotting. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  13. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Thanks, would try that.
    I drove them with BMW rim, totally forgot that I have F1 too, need to clean of some dust of it :)

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I tried your 1.7 a second ago and it was clipping too early for my liking but it did get me to try a lower value of 1.2 and to my suprise, it wasn't clipping going around the track and the ffb felt considerably stronger ontop of the already high strength of it with 1.0 on the t500. Driving felt even easier with it now.....thank you for getting me to test a higher value i guess. :p

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

re.ffb I'm going the other way ( lower ) my arms feel strange

16. cookie

cookie Registered

I'm struggling to get any weight into my wheel too (t500) I don't understand how some have high FFB with weight and I get power steering. My gain settings 75% ffb multi of 1.2 with some clipping on the curbs .

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Sorry, i did more extentive testing with values higher than 1.0 up to 1.2 and it's not good in feel and performance suffered too. Back to 1.0 and it feels very good.

cookie and others....i think your not feeling weight shift because of two reasons:

1) rf2 ffb does not simulate weight-transfer/g-forces but instead the correct forces that are generated at the steering wheel.

2) I think Karts forces at the steering wheel are different to cars and so the effect that weight transfer has on the steering wheel forces in cars (which does feel like a weight transfer effect to us) does not happen the same way or as much with karts. You get an initial weight transfer effect when you turn the wheel to initiate the weight transfer but then the inside wheel is off the ground and you add power to stabilise and maintain kart rotation around the corner. This effectively takes over the job of the steering wheel completely from this point onwards and so you end up straightening the steering wheel quite a lot so as to not add more rotation and the forces feel neutral in the steering wheel as result.

I think this may explain that loss of weight transfer sensation your describing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  18. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I have no doubt the t500 and fanatecs require different settings. Adrian your wheel is a bit of a special case isn't it ffb multi of 0.2 probably feels like our 1.0 + settings lol

19. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I prefer them as well.

20. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Slower vehicles do give closer racing. I like the skippys and clios for this reason but the servers are few.