Karts 0.991 and Quebec SuperKarts 1.07 track available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 29, 2014.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Oh yes.....please divulge more. Is this responsible for why the karts feel (at least to me) the best ffb and handling feeling of all the vehicles ISI have released thus far? Also, is this part of the latest build and applies to all vehicles automatically or specific to karts only?

Thanks you. :)

2. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Did I say it was the sims fault? I just said offline was way better than online so far, and well, in my experience that is the truth.

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Build 590 and it's vehicle specific. It's not as if all other cars feel the same and the kart is different. Each car has its own feeling, the kart just doesn't portray the sense of driving an actual kart feeling the weight of directly shifting the tires and feeling the varying levels of grip. It's not that the feel of grip is non-existent, it's that it's extremely understated through the FFB and also that the wheel is very light.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
  4. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

Question about steering speed selection. I have a G25, but I've added a 13" diameter wheel to it. Which steering speed selection should I use for maximum realism with a larger diameter wheel?

5. maxrod

maxrod Registered

guimengo I think you are asking a bit to much for a first attempt I think this is very good probably the best example of a karting sim, The only way you are going to get better is to do the real thing.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya guimengo

different hardware will yield different results as will different settings, I had arm ache after my initial ffb settings for karts now I've toned it down a bit, to a certain degree we also have to adapt & tune in to a simulated version of vehicle,

from memory real world karts give a strong, abrupt & harsh ffb which lacks detail, there isn't a sprung suspension or much flex in the tires.
    I think it's good we get a bit more detail in the ISI sim version ffb as we miss out on a lot of messages we receive in a real world vehicle ( gforces / risks of real danger etc )

I'm sure it will get further updates at some point

7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I have to be honest a 13" wheel will not have a setting that feels realistic with karts. You kind of need a kart wheel for these to feel realistic, the steering ratios are too quick and the ffb will feel stronger with a small wheel. Part of the feedback the kart mechanic dude gave me was that they are unrealistically twitchy. He also said the back wasn't grippy enough and it felt like the tyres were too soft. This was all with the default setup. When we went through the garage setup he asked for the rear anti roll to be "out" and we changed the toe in, to toe out and pumped the tyres up a bit. He could then drive it and was quite impressed with it. And I have to say since I started using the software I have always wondered whether there might be some confusion at ISI about toe in and out. Some cars come set with some toe out as default but most not, with the biggest example being the skip barber. All that toe in available and barely any toe out? Use the toe in and it spits you off the track if you aren't a throttle control expert. Skip wouldn't have many working cars if this was the case. Set it up with toe out for understeer though and it becomes the great fun trainer that it should be. My point is on the whole if you struggle to keep an ISI vehicle pointing the right way check for toe in, and rear anti roll stiffness, because their default setups are not very realistic and generally seem to err on the side of oversteer combined with too stiff rear end, which makes them a handful.

8. DocJones

DocJones Registered

A negative value (-0.5 in the karts' default setup iirc) for toe in equals in a positive value for toe out, does it not?

9. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Tim, are driver animations updated now to? As the karts have working legs now? If yes, can we get some 3ds max sceenes and what else has changed in this mather? Cable from calipers are moving to, how?

10. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I agree and this is where the confusion lies I think. I would think of that as toe out as well, but when you change it to a positive value the kart understeers more, so you would have to say that -0.5 in this case is toe in, and +0.5 is toe out.

11. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

Please add a 'jump up and down in the seat' animation, activated by the boost or DRS button. Race starts don't feel authentic without it :p

12. maniac618

maniac618 Registered

I'm using the latest build Tim and tried it with FFB 1.0 and FFB 2.0 with not much being added. I am using a Logitech Driving Force Pro though, could it be that my wheel is rubbish?

13. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

I am foremostly missing the feeling of the front tires with these karts with those high caster angles. I would like to feel the sliding and scrubbing of those fronts.

edit: T500 here, everything default

14. Paddler

Paddler Registered

+1

15. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Have you tried changing that plr file setting to friction vs damping? Can't remember what value it is but others will know. Some have said friction emphasizes tire contact over weight transfer...

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

This is also my experience. If you can't feel the FFB quite strongly--as in it's even difficult to turn the wheel to get out of your garage spot because the drag of the solid axle has been properly modelled, then you have a settings and/or hardware problem. The rest of us don't have sore arms because there is less or too little FFB on these babies!

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Yes, please test and report back on this. Or, ISI please tell us what the difference is SUPPOSED to be.

18. shim2

shim2 Registered

download links aren't working

actually rfactor.net is down

19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The way the handling works and the bits around it I definitely agree are very good. This is just like GSC 2013's karts - which people should know is a compliment - and I suppose if Reiza couldn't get the wheel to transfer more of the weight from direct steering than I shouldn't be surprised no one else could.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm 99.9% sure the karts have the same toe value as every other car ever made in RFactor history...

- A negative amount of toe = toe-out = \ / = more initial turn-in (oversteer)
    - A positive amount of toe = toe-in = / \ = less initial turn-in

Also, there is no rear antiroll-bar. I could be wrong, but I don't think ISI modelled an antiroll-bar into the physics and then just changed the name terminology in the garage screen to whatever the name of it is called in real-life. That would not be an authentic way of simulating a vehicle (maybe acceptable for RFactor 1). I'm pretty sure what they have there is modelled properly into the physics and therefore isn't simply a re-worded rear antiroll-bar.

This is much better than GSC 2013's karts. GSC's seem a little more polished due to the sheer talent of what Reiza can do with the physics in the old RF1 engine, but it cannot come close to what the RFactor 2 version can achieve. Not the way the tyres grip and un-grip, the hopping of the chassis and tyres, the loading of the tyre flex coming through the FFB so slightly, etc. etc.