Stock cars

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by Paul Swire, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Was that the rainy Montreal race? That race was insane because NASCAR hadn't done a rain race in several years and the drivers assumed they would not race when the rain started to fall- then they were informed that on a road course it's time to lose the skirts and race anyway! That race was a wreckfest- nothing more than banger racing, but it was entertaining to watch!

2. MrWalton

MrWalton Registered

Juuuhhuuuu

3. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Don't remember the track name, but it was a Canadian track, I also think it was the Nationwide cars and not Cup cars. Not real sure cause I missed seeing the race.

4. SVO

SVO Registered

It was the Nationwide race. I remember watching it. It was interesting watching guys trying to figure out braking, etc.

5. machine

machine Registered

Indy is a flat track, but for Nascar to work on steep banked ovals, the tyres need fixing. I have some alpha ovals, Dover, Kentucky, Kansas, Charlotte & New Hampshire Every rfactor2 car gains over proportional, insanely over the top grip under load on the steep banked tracks. Awesome to drive on Kentucky and New Hampshire. But high powered cars you can run flat out on the high banks of Dover. The insane extra grip under load means steep banked ovals still are not working.

Tyre grip discussion here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/17072-Tire-issue-Grip-and-relationship-to-load
    I spoke to Mike who was in contact with ISI and he was given some figures to use in the tyre builder, but that may fix one car, what of all the other cars so far created which ALL have insane grip on the high banked corners.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
  6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not at this point. It's a very spec series and unless we could get information from multiple engine manufacturers, not much point.

With the Indy car, for example, we will have the same car physics, different engine physics, because we'll have Chevy and Honda.

7. 88mphTim

Yeah, we'll see what happens. The car announced will probably be developed in-house, but I would really like to see some tracks brought by third parties. Might be where things really happen.

8. 88mphTim

Lots of people keep asking why we bother to release content. A lot of the time we do it so that we can get information from manufacturers and alter the core in the ways needed to support modders. A lot of the time you can't simply make changes based on modder requests, as often you aren't told the reason something happens, just that it's happening wrongly. By creating things ourselves from real data, we can see placed our sim doesn't work. Then effectively any stock car, late model, modified, etc, that someone wants to make might work a hell of a lot better.

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

How many requests have you had to help test, Tim? Roughly a gazillion?

I think it'd be cool to have 2 series with this mod- one for the most powerful cars (Sprint Series) and one for the less powerful cars (Nationwide). Instead of having different makes and only one series.

10. 88mphTim

Yeah, just trying to make a list of those as they come in. The leagues I am certainly interested in.

11. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Well I see build 722 Stockcars@Jacksonville being tested. :D

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

sweeeeeeeet :D

13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

rF2 needs an oval trackpack. Really really bad. With the Indycars the need desperate, but with stock cars the need will be dire. Right now we have -TWS, Daytona, Orchard Lake, Joesville, Indy, Nazareth.... I think that's it. That'd be a very short Nascar season!

Does anyone have a good version of Orchard Lake Oval with realroad? There was a version with no realroad last year, but I know I have seen a better version with working RR, but I can't find it.

14. machine

machine Registered

True. We need a team of guys to work on Nascar ovals. I have been lead track dev for SCE for about the last 3 years. My specialty is making the layout SHAPE correct. Look at the old converted Nascar Simracing tracks which most Nascar mods use and you will see why this is such an improvement. I have scratch built around a dozen to varying degrees for SCE. The other guys in the team have done small changes, AIW etc. But we really need half a dozen guys to put their hand up. Grandstand, buildings, infield and outfield terrain needs to be built and textured. Textures which are a massive job need to be sourced from photos, handmade, whatever.

I have all the source files in Bobs Track builder and can provide a very accurate racing surface made using video, photos, Google maps, google earth photography, blueprint figures from track websites, etc. I have a part done Charlotte which is probably within 1m elevation all the way around. There is about 6.5m difference between start of turn 1 and the lowest section - entry turn 3.

So much to do. Lets get a team together, instead of 4 or 5 different mod makers. In rf1, we had TPSCC, SSS, VHR & SCE making their own tracks. If we keep on going in this "I'll do it my way" vein it will take years, and we will again end up with 2nd class work. Lets get a team from all the Nascar mod teams and make tracks together. Then we can go our own way with the vehicles themselves.

15. freew67

freew67 Registered

Thing is, Im not 100% sure about SCE but from what I can remember the rest of them didn't make any of their tracks. They were all converted with some texture updates. The "I'll do it my way" is why there are 100's of F1 mods and all of those groups making the same stockcar mod. Everyone has their own opinion on what feels right. Your track team will be a very limited number of people who made scratch ovals. Would love to see it, but don't see it happening at the same time.

16. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Have you noticed all the test servers have been gone a few days now, i can only assume ISI are testing the new matchmaker maybe. :)

17. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Yes, I believe every build after 722 is on the new system. :)

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hope new build is in sight, going to have another shot of getting my pals up & running with rf2 again

........seriously hope the auto updater works flawlessly for them (& everyone else for that matter) after me doing this!

19. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Sadly, I disagree.

rFactor 2 is simply not ready for oval racing. A bitter truth, hard to stomach, but truth none the less. Can't even setup the bloody stagger. Put the highest pressure on right tires, lowest on left tires and you get... nothing.

I'd rather go back to NASCAR Heat (a game from 2000). Not as advanced simulator, but still getting you closer to real NASCAR racing, than rF2 in it's current state. rF2 needs more time to get mature enough for proper oval racing. Just like iRacing needed a good few years. Until then, adding more oval content only expands rF2 as average racing game, not as simulator. rF2 is just not a simulator of oval racing yet. And I'm not even talking about missing weight jacker or oval rules. Without these we still get a simulation of certain car with some limited features. But a bloody stagger? Without it the car won't even drive like a racing machine prepared for ovals.

Until ISI gets some more work done on tires, I see no point in adding any oval content, because it wouldn't be properly simulated anyway. I'm a fan of oval racing and I've been with rF2 since the beginning - I guess that say something. I appreciate the work done by ISI but can't deny the facts. We need to wait.

Please note I'm referring to current state of things. I keep my fingers crossed for rF2, but truth be told - it has great potential but is not there yet, essentially putting it behind much older simulators when comes to oval racing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
  20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Also, cautions don't work right in this build. Cautions are a big part of oval racing. I don't what they broke but I can't use the safety car in this build.