rFactor 2 on Wikipedia?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hexagramme, Mar 26, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Hi all

Perhaps this is a silly thread, but it suddenly just hit me that rF2 needs a proper Wikipedia page.

The current one is lacking, to say the least: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFactor_2

However I am not familiar with editing Wiki articles. Is anybody here into that stuff?

I just think that this sim deserves a proper, full length page, describing in detail the current and future features, the current content and so on. :)

2. datanode

datanode Registered

Agree with that, I would hazard a guess maybe ISI should start the ball rolling with more information.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It did have more info at one point, I'm sure.

4. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Followed the link and LOL'd at work. Everyone is looking at me now :eek:

5. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Scrolling through the Edit History I see mentions of vandalism so someone must've been cleaning it up without reinserting correct text.

6. 88mphTim

Yeah. As I said, I've seen more on that page than there is now. Sad.

7. stonec

stonec Registered

Looking at the byte counts listed in the revision history it was never more than this really, just a few external links deleted last October. You can see the exact state of the article at various dates by clicking "cur" on the left column. Green highlights bytes were added, red removed. I'll have a look at editing it some upcoming weekend unless anyone else is interested.

8. 88mphTim

Is it possible the page was a different one entirely? 100% sure I have seen more. :(

9. datanode

datanode Registered

That is sad, but I think we need "Pending-changes protection" and some respected people contributing / maintaining it.

Basically exclude those who are sad and can't see past some kind of immediate frustration they have.

Those that have common sense ;) the other 95% of the community.

I am sure there are plenty that fall into this category. I don't mind helping, if I can put more back into this community I will ...

What do you think?

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

It's a hell of a job man. We did a rf1 wiki for our league and I kinda want to do the same with rf2 but its such a massive task with so many unknowns....we need a team of unemployed simmers I reckon :)

11. 88mphTim

I really don't like the way wiki pages have to be created. Annoying as hell, for sure.

12. vali

vali Registered

I think rF2 deserve a proper wiki as a documentation. I know that Tim made one about 2 years ago, but spambots were a big problem and there was very few pages. For some reason the thing didn't get much support/edits and died :(

Maybe it is time to try again. Right now rF2 is getting some momentum.

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I did ask Tim if it was sensible to move the rf2 isi-wiki to the main rf2 forums, I think loads of people just miss it completely going for rf2.

And also requested if perhaps the old format could return, now its just forum threads, when it started it was much cooler, flexible and had more tools if I remember correctly.

14. 88mphTim

I'd actually like to do it on the main site. I've also been recording videos for a while of certain things with the intention of editing them as 'guides'. As much as I know rF2 needs documentation, finding the segment of time to put it together or even install something, somewhere, for the community to put info into, can be hard.

15. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Maybe doesn't make sense, Tim, but possibly if you have rough notes or thoughts or even just areas you think are most beneficial and can upload your videos as you have time they can serve as seeds for others to develop/polish if they are inclined. Or maybe not. Just brainstorming...