Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Led566

Led566 Registered

IONI Pro 1x here.
    I've built everything by myself.

2. thekan76

thekan76 Registered

I use 15% min force, me too for my G27.

My wheel was 2 years old, I try to start from 20 after 17 but I found 15 ok. Wheel check tell me 15.

What is your profile setup and ingame setup for the wheel?

3. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

If i remember right (it`s on a different machine) in the Profiler 900°, everything checked but center spring not (while set to 0) and ingame depends on the mod, default settings, smoothing not above 7 (i guess...). The less smoothing the more the ffb is detailed.

4. unknwn

unknwn Registered

I just checked and cannot see "FFB Output" channel, any suggestions?

5. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

I put the "rF2PedalOverlayPlugin.dll" in the plugin folder, but I don't see it appear in game.

EDIT: I'll ask in the proper thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2016
  6. Cub 1

Cub 1 Registered

Thanks DrR1pper for this info on FFB. I thought I would post my G27 settings in order to help others to compare etc.
    I used the FFB Overlay plugin to test, but not WheelCheck

G27 Settings in Logitech Profiler....... (rFactor 2 Profile)

Overall Effects Strength = 100
    Spring Effects Strength = 0
    Damper Effects Strength = 0
    Enable Centering Spring = Unticked
    Use Special Steering Wheel Settings = Ticked
    Steering Rotation = 900
    Use Special Game Settings = Ticked
    Allow Game to Adjust Settings = Ticked

G27 Settings in game........

Car-Specific FFB Multi = 1.00
    FFB Smoothing = 12
    FFB Minimum Torque = 15.0 % (got the same result as others on this forum for G27)

Player.JSON tweaks for realistic motion........

"Leanahead Angle":0.1, (slight lean when cornering)

24" monitor with a resolution of 1920 x1200 (16:10 ratio)
    FOV = 52
    Exaggerate Yaw = 0
    Look Ahead = 65
    Seat position near default

The above tweaks have changed the experience for me. It may help others if we all posted settings in a similar format to that above.

Cub 1.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2016
  7. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Fresh start.......

Your maximum value for steeringFFBBaseOffset is _._%

This value keeps changing for me?
    0.5 to 4.0,I'll do the oscillation to get the nearest......

How to make a graph from the .csv file?
    Do we use/need the graph any more?

Or is it just a simple case of adjust car specific FFB (stop the clipping) and then adjust ffb minimum torque?

ps
    Can you edit you OP to mention a good track to test on,I think Malaysia GP was a thumbs up?

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Cub 1, you're welcome and thx for sharing your settings.

Never tried playing with steeringFFBBaseOffset before (don't even know where it's located). Can't test for you either because i don't have my pc (sorry). If you've been playing with it but forgot what its original/default value was....if it's inside a json file, perhaps try deleting it (making a copy on your desktop or anywhere else you prefer), start rf2 (any car+track) and check the default value in the fresh json file. Copy&paste back over your old file and fill in default/original value into it.

If setting up ffb minimum (in the controller.json file or directly ingame), best to setup/find the optimal car-specific ffb multi first to find the high end clipping point (sort of analogous to a high end ffb deadzone) and then find the optimal ffb minimum torque for your wheel (which is the low end ffb deadzone and it should be the same value for each car setup to their respective optimal ffb multi).

Changing the car-specific ffb multi (relative to the optimal value for each car) will affect the size of the initial ffb deadzone amount and thus the amount of required ffb minimum torque. However the opposite is not true (ffb min torque does not affect the optimal car-specific ffb multi value).

I don't specify a track to use because the optimal ffb multi can actually vary ever so slightly from track to track (maybe +/- 0.01 car-specific ffb multi....but you might not be as picky as I).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2016
  9. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

it's edit 7 in OP............
    To simply check your ffb's initial deadzone: Click the "Spring Force" drop down menu and click "Min force". The test will immediately start and you will shortly be told your min force value at the bottom. It will say "Your maximum value for steeringFFBBaseOffset is _._%". Use that percentage as your starting value for figuring out the ideal min torque value for your wheel in rf2.

Oscillation stops about the 4.00% area and was testing megane,about 75 as you say for ffb multi.
    experimenting with SPr and dPr also,CSR Elite.

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ah, ok, sorry my big mistake. Just use trial and error to find the correct value for your wheel ingame. So 4% is working for you?

11. Icarus

Icarus Registered

What is STS? I see it mentioned so many times.

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Steering Torque Sensitivity.

13. skipgamer

skipgamer Registered

Awesome guide, thank you very much! Immediately cut 2s off my times literally on my first lap after following this and most importantly a tonne more consistent, went from spinning every 3rd lap, to being able to string together 10 or more and being able to save it when it starts to go.

Really changed my rF2 experience a tonne! Thank you! I don't think I've ever driven a (virtual) car with correct ffb after feeling this, to the point of not understanding why sim racing games don't put up a big warning box that says "your FFB is clipping!" if it's detected for more than 10% of a lap or something. Thanks again!

For example: Old settings > New settings:
    100% profiler spring > 1%
    100% profiler damper > 1%
    1.0 car specific FFB > .5%!! Literally almost every corner FFB was clipping.
    9!! FFB smoothing > 0
    0% minimum torque > 14%

Thanks again, can't say thanks enough really.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
  14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Nice! Music to my ears hearing 2 seconds cut off your lap time and increased consistency right off the bat. Glad to hear the guide was useful to you. :)

15. skipgamer

skipgamer Registered

For real, 5 seconds off now:) I can actually race! I never understood why I could never get the cars to do what I wanted why when they spun I could never correct and the wheel just yanked off me, It's not like I hadn't pumped 10hours+ into the car and track already (more in rF1 even in past years), I knew the lines, it just wasn't working. I always thought it was part of the difficulty of sim racing, just not getting them to spin... Feel a bit dumb now. This guide was amazing, it's the first thing I'm going to link people to when they say "why do I suck?"

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol, awesome. :)

Getting rid of the ffb clipping can really make a night and day difference to your driving performance, as if a veil covering your eyes has been lifted. :p

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Just out of curiosity...i have read on a couple of forums, that some of the so called "alien" driver are driving without ffb. Is this true?

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I don't know but i wouldn't surprise me if it is true. I recall myself a few times driving just as well when my ffb stopped working during a race.

The ironic thing is that if you do go without any ffb it removes any inconsistency in the sensory misinformation about the cars behavior through the ffb that would otherwise be there if (for example) you had some ffb clipping (etc). So whilst no ffb feels like it's telling you that the car is constantly on ice or floating off the ground the entire time, it's at the very least 100% consistently telling you so which can make it easier to ignore/manage this sensory misinformation than if you had intermittent sensory misinformation that you have no way to clearly recognise is occurring or not.

19. Led566

Led566 Registered

Sadly true.

20. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Doesn`t matter, it makes much more fun driving with ffb...

MotherDawg likes this.