Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

Yes, I executed it the wheel makes a small movement, but didnt see a result anywhere and wanted to avoid making graphs and stuff as I dont have access to the iracing forum. It is a bit more difficult.

2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Select "Spring Force", select "min Force", don`t touch the Wheel and wait a couple of seconds. Result is on the bottom.

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Thank you.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

DrR, I'm assuming that having any wheel set to 100% will then only be game/software-limited in-terms of clipping rather than hardware as-well. In other words, as long as you don't set your wheel's control panel FFB above 100% then you can be definitely sure the game's software clipping meter can be fully relied on. Is that correct and as simple as that? If so, how can we make sure?

For example, I sometimes want to know if I still have room available to raise my FFB (from my control panel) while the software clipping meter shows no clipping (but very close). Or...Do I have my control panel's FFB too high and am therefore clipping even though the software clipping meter shows no clipping??

Also, do you know if setting the Fanatec CSW v2 setting above 100% ("FOR" = >100) keeps the max power the same but only makes the lower forces stronger like setting Logitech wheels over 100%, the TM T500RS over 60%, and the T300RS/TX over 75% apparently do? Or does it raise everything - and linearly at that - including the top-end? It seems like it does the former (more compression / smaller dynamic range rather than also raising the top-end) but I can't tell for sure...

5. Axe

Axe Registered

I will try more specific question to complete the puzzle for me:
    - is that means the physics engine can and does produce even higher virtual steering wheel torques but they will be translated to the FFB signal simply to 100% level?
    - and the difference between vehicles in this parameter is caused by the chassis geometry, tire patch, tire grip, possible G's in the corner etc?
    - so the modder should set this parameter to cover all "normal" driving situations or a bit higher? and abnormal situations like crashes will not be translated to the FFB signal in their full force/torque? Am I right?
    thank you for your kindness

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I don`t know why, maybe a Placebo, if so, a nice one, but my FFB feels, since the new Build, amazing! I was fiddeling around the FFB since 2 Years? At the Moment i can`t stop driving :D I love my rF2! Also, the AI`s are a blast now. Got tonight so much fun and very serious Racing against them, just want to share this...leaving now, back to the Rig ;)

URD T5 & Road America

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Spin, you need to use the wheelcheck.exe program to test and see by making a graph of your results. Anu non linearity that maybe present will not display on the ingame bar ofc.

8. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Where can I find tuning menu to select update package for the fr3.5? - EDIT: found it.

Also, in other games (ex.AC) I have gamma as 1.6. How do I represent this in rF2, 1/1.6 or 1 - 1/6? Had to go back to G27 after my 1-month old elite load cell broke & have to wait a long time. :(

Sorry for OT, as I was just reading the valuable info here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

- yes
    - sure, plus so many other variables.
    - I would say high enough to cover up to the highest virtual steering wheel torque when the car is at its limit at highest speed corner. Yes, abnormal crashes will therefore be clipped and so you won't feel their full torque.

10. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Hi,
    Thanks for this write up. I have been experimenting with it and I have a question.
    I will quote the OP below.
    "
    At a certain point/value, you will hit what is know as the "ffb clipping" margin. What this means is that whilst on track, when you are driving in situations that produce the highest force at the virtual steering wheel (such as high speed corners), the game is asking for more than 100% of your wheels maximum force.

My understanding (and I may be wrong its a recent interest only) is that Tech Ades Yellow / Red bar depicts the amount of FFB force that is and can be generated in-game rather than what your wheel can handle. In other words when it goes red thats all the game can send IE100%.
    The importance of this subtle but clear point is this. You can manage the in-game clipping with the car specific multiplier (and to a large extent caster setting) so that its at a healthy level but not getting red excpet in extreme circumstances. THEN......
    You can still boost your wheel FFB as its not clipping-only the game is clipping. For example my CSWV2 can have Force set in increments up from 100% to well above 100% or for that matter lower than 100%. None of these changes have any impact on the FFB bar in Tech Ades plugin. Soif my wheel is set at 50% FFB and the yellow bar is not affected its not related to my wheels 100% FFB limit.
    Also with my wheels FFB inactive the yellow bar still does its thing. (how does it know my wheels limitation BTW).

Conclusion-its a game output limitation not a wheel FFB limitation that's being measured. If I am correct the part in bold is somewhat misleading as its says "the game is asking for more than 100% of your wheels maximum force" whereas it should say "the game is generating more than its own 100% force.

If I'm correct this difference means that game clipping needs to be managed as well as wheel clipping, but they are separate issues.
    Cheers (sorry if I missed something)

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I could/should have explained that better where you quoted me on as it is in fact quite misleading if taken at face value. I think i provided that as the answer instead to avoid what would have otherwise have been a much lengthier explanation from me and one that i worried might have a higher chance of confusing people than simply saying "the game is asking for more than 100% of your wheels maximum force". In hindsight, probs should have gone with the fully correct/accurate explanation.

kudos to you and thanks for pointing this out though. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  12. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Thanks for the prompt and courteous reply.
    Thats cleared that up for me.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

There are a bunch if different tests and settings to choose. What exactly do I configure in order to determine hardware clipping ( r whatever it is that helps determine that)?

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Instructions are towards the very end of the OP in a quotation box spin.

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

:)

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Great, I wasn't sure if that was the particular test I was specifically looking for regarding my concern (hardware clipping), thanks!.

17. west1785

west1785 Registered

Hi guys. I'm sure this was discussed before, but after searching for quite a while I can't find anything really relevant. Is there a way to turn down a bit the kerb FFB effects without lowering the FFB force? My wheel is a ClubSport v1. I tried lowering the SHO forces, but this is not a vibration effect, the FFB just stresses the wheel way too much on kerbs and run-off areas.
    Other than this I managed to get it close to perfection for my feel, no oscillations when stationary (and very low speed), excellent grip feel on the limit, no clipping, it's the best I've ever achieved on any sim (thanks DrR1pper for the guide). Just the kerb effects is way too overdone for some cars, like the F3.5. I understand the suspensions are ridgid but still. What's interesting is that this kerb effect is so much smoother on my old DFGT that it feels like there's an actual tire going over the kerbs. With the CSW it feels like the wheels are made of bricks :) It's probably because of less FF power on the DFGT, but maybe there's a way to tone it down a bit on the CSW without being forced to drop the FF force.

18. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

look at your controller.json file i think its one of those settings:

"Rumble strip pull factor":1.5,
    "Rumble strip pull factor#":"How strongly wheel pulls right\/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.",
    "Rumble strip update thresh":0.05,
    "Rumble strip update thresh#":"Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)",
    "Rumble strip wave type":0,
    "Rumble strip wave type#":"Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.",

and

"Off-road multiplier":0.3,
    "Off-road multiplier#":"Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)",

i think it was build 2xx i was last time messing with these settings so iam not 100% sure these are the ones you are looking for.

19. Comante

Comante Registered

I'm not sure that those rumble strip options still work as now curbs are 3d object and no more a "concept" if you understand what I mean. If this is the case, you get the rumble due the 3D geometry of the curb, and not due some value. I would try to increase smoothing a bit.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It's definitely an issue but I've felt the insane sawtooth feeling in other sims too. Seems to happen most frequently in RF2 but I've felt it in SCE (certain moments only) and PCars with certain FFB settings so it may be the way the clubsport wheel interprets certain FFB signals it's told to generate. It literally feels like the wheelbase is going to get sliced in half from it's own FFB motor.

It can be heard from the other side and other floor of my house. It sounds like an extremely sharp and defined feeling jackhammer is going to work on/inside my wheel.