Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I would just like to thank DrR1pper again for this thread.

This guide has worked beautifully on three different wheels now. DFGT, G27, and now CSR. Just great :)

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Interesting. So ISI has put 0.5% STM as default for all?

4. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

To all the G25/G27 users, may I ask what filter-value you guys are running? I ever run a low one (<=4) but since flat-spotting got introduced I run a higher (>10) one just in case I ruin my tire (please don't tell me I shouldn't flat-spot, I try not to ;) ) cause the effect doesn't feel good with a low filter-value. Talking mainly about the Lola T280 here.
    What value would you recommend for G25/G27? Thanks :)

Edit: Me thinks it would be nice to have an extra parameter for the flat-spotting effect, same as for rumble-strips. Not sure this is planned.

5. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

It was the flat spotting that made me decide to finally get a belt-drive wheel.

I was running a filter of 12 and it was still impossible to keep driving with a flat spot. Felt like my G27 was going come apart lol :)

With a belt-drive wheel, you can keep driving until your scheduled pit stop if you need to.

6. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

Yeah, I'm up to about 18 I think at the moment. Its a shame cause all other effects work with lower filter if you lower the overall strength. Thats why a separate parameter for flat-spotting would be nice for G25/G27 (and other weaker wheels) users.

7. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Wouldn't that in one hand feel like cheating? :)

8. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

True, but as different people run different hardware it isn't "fair" anyway. An its not that I just don't like the effect, it gets unbearable with a low filter value in a G25/G27 as also reported by buddhatree.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  9. wlaem

wlaem Registered

Anyone could share their settings json,profiler ect... (logitech g27)

It's my first wheel and i'm lost. Looking at videos of people driving rF2 with the G27 seems smooth and responsive but it's the opposite for me right now, (i think there's something wrong with mine; it's so bad ... im faster w/ my 360 controller... i'll probably try to get a replacement if nothing change)

Anyway thanks in advance. Playing the demo BTW.

10. yusupov

yusupov Registered

first question, does your wheel match the ingame wheel 100%?

11. wlaem

wlaem Registered

Yep this area seems fine (at least visually, 900° in the profiler, vehicle set in game. ), however when driving i don't feel the wheel inputs are what they should be (like i said, it's weird that my gamepad feels better).

I also have problems w/ downshifts which makes me think something is wrong with my g27, i can't downshift as fast as i want, like there's a deadzone between downshift ... like breaking zone ... downshifts to 5th , 4th, still 4th instead of 3rd ... like my input has been ignored (again no issue w/ the gamepad in that area)

12. 3lrsc

3lrsc Registered

13. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I just got onto this post for the first time, and I'm intrigued to do this after work to see the results.

I just have one question regarding the quoted post above that I don't get. I understand the effect of "steering torque sensitivity", which you explained, but you show in the graph the effects of too high and too low settings. But how do you determine what is "too high" and what is "too low" for this setting?

I get "steering torque minimum", which is very easy, and I have actually experimented with this in the past, but "steering torque sensitivity" I haven't touched, so any help in getting this setting right, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Good question. It would really depend on your hardware and particular software settings of choice. Aside from that though, if you set the STS too high it will result in significant ffb clipping on the high end forces/torques (which would defeat the purpose of finding the optimal car-specific ffb multiplier). Vice-versa too low will clip the low end forces/torques which will act to increase the initial ffb deadzone (defeating the purpose of the STM). Neither extremes are desirable (at least in my opinion).

Hmm, i don't actually use it at all. Mainly because my ffb was linear enough and i found optimal values for car-specific ffb multi and STM for my ffb wheel and settings, so i didn't find STS necessary. However, other users have. I know that Paul was using something like 0.216 with his T500RS but then returned it to default 1.0 (i think) with more recent updates to rf2 and perhaps also using 1.0 with his AF Pro now.

Sorry if it wasn't the answer you were looking for. It's the best i have to give.

15. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Thanks for this @DrR1pper. TL;DR, as I'm still in the first few pages after trying some initial tests and catching up with updates in latter posts in this thread. Like others have requested, anyone with final G27 settings care to share their settings? With 100 in Profiler, 70% for the Megane (STM 0.16), there's just irritating rattling on curbs, that I don't get with other sims. Perhaps increasing smoothing to a high level may significantly help but from what I read in the OP, too high smoothing (how high?) a value might remove valuable info. Also, I know the G27 doesn't have good linearity so do you guys change SMS too?

16. Capeta

Capeta Registered

Hey guys,

For the non scientific guys, is there some settings that give best ffb for each wheel ?
    I just moved to a T300RS and it doesn't feel sharp, any tips ?

Thx.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

My friend is finally picking up his TM TX this Wednesday. His favorite game is RF2 (second is SCE and FT) so he wants to play RF2 immediately.

He's used to a T500RS + Paul Loatman's FFB settings, however the TX/T300RS is a different animal and I therefore have no idea what to use.

I've heard of some people not having the best experience with the default wheel & RF2 FFB settings when switching to the TM TX/T300Rs and I'm not sure what I should do...

18. Capeta

Capeta Registered

I still got that flying carpet effect.
    G25 felt a lot better than T300 actually, anyone had that too ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2015
  19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

So weird how the T500RS is generally regarded as great with RF2 while the TM TX/T300RS seems to give so many RF2 users issues, or rather, a not-so-great FFB experience.

What makes it even more odd is the fact that most people say the TX/T300RS generally feels extremely similar to the T500RS (other than being a bit less powerful, more smooth, more detailed, and quicker reacting).

20. Capeta

Capeta Registered

I had a TX some times ago, it was perfect.
    But now with the T300 I don't enjoy driving, I don't understand this at all.