Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to being in the "Zone" :D

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Mar 26, 2014.

1. newtonpg

newtonpg Registered

Agree!
    But for my feelings, the higher you set FFB_Smoothing, the higher you need to set FFB_Multiplier to reach clipping zone sometimes.

Im reviewing these values now.
    With Megane at Hungaroring:
    FFB_Smoothing = 2
    FFB_Multi = .69 (its incredible but at .70 theres a lot of rattling)

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

And whsr value is that?

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

oh, sry lol.

3%

4. Comante

Comante Registered

Yesterday I started another test of various settings, and "discovered" this, that may help someone:
    I have a logitech DFP, so, not the latest or the best wheel around, but it's honest reliabe and decent as well.
    Well, I was having great problems with FR3.5 at essington, where with the setup I had received it should be possible to lap in less than 1.24 . I was having problems lapping in 1.27 low. My minimum steering torque and FFB multiplier are already set, so I decided to tweak with FFB smoothing and FFB update rate (or how it's called) in the .INI file. The writing say something like "some drivers can't handle high update frequency" , so, thinking it was talking about hardware driver for older wheels, I halved the update rate (set the string value to 1). I then tried to set the smoothing to 5 and to 10 (I always used 0 or 1). The Wheel turned suddenly tamer, much less rattling, much less high frequency peaks, in short, more stable. It was a bit late, so I was able to make just 3 laps with the new settings, but I lowered my times of 1 seconds already.
    I think with some more tweaking and with some more practice I could manage to lap in 1.25.
    Now, I know that I should care more of how I can perform with the hardware I have than how the hardware should perform, but I have a question:
    How can we know the optimal update rate of our wheel ? This should be hardware/driver related, I like to know that my wheel offer me the most information that can offer before dumbing it down lowering the update rate of the FFB from the sim.
    So, is there a guide or a way to know which is the best approach to the problem? (increasing smoothing, and/or decreasing update rate) .

Thanks

5. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I'm using a Fanatec CSR and a 'FFB Multi' of 0.75. I've been raising the STM value to try and induce wheel oscillation but it doesn't happen. I get a faint noise from inside the wheel base and nothing more. However, using TechAde's pedal overlay plugin I can clearly see that there is FFB acting on the wheel when stationary so instead I have been reducing the STM setting to the point that the yellow bar disappears. Is this a valid way to find the STM value? I'm currently settled at 0.03000 which seems about right.

6. yanaran

yanaran Registered

Jamezinho, what STM does is create an offset for the FFB signal that is sent to your wheel. For example if you set STM to 50% then the FFB signal from the game will always be 50% or higher, thus the FFB bar in the pedal overlay will always be 50% or higher, even when stationary. So the fact that you see "FFB acting on the wheel" is a sign that the .plr setting is working. :) The yellow bar will disappear when STM is so low that it doesn't actually "do" anything. Your 0.03 is an extremely low value (but it IS possible the CSR doesn't need more). Put it another way, it's unlikely you'll even be able to tell the difference between 0 and 0.03, because only the lowest 3% of FFB was "gained". My G27 by comparison needs 0.165 so I gain a lot of signal that was previously hidden by friction in my wheel. :eek:

The easiest way to determine what STM you should use is to get WheelCheck.exe (an iRacing wheel testing tool) and do the "Min force" benchmark. Checking for oscillations is to go the round-about way and looking for symptoms of an incorrect STM, so to speak. Although, even knowing the "right" value, it's still up to personal preference if you like the FFB configured like that.

7. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I appreciate the explanation, thanks. :)

Kind of figured that STM was a FFB offset of sorts.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Firstly thanks to the OP and others for the detailed explanations, finally got some time to have a fiddle and with my G25 I've followed the Logitech Profiler settings on Page #1 and gone:

Steering Torque Minimum = 0.08000
    Car Specific 0.80 (Megane)
    FFB Smoothing = 4 (always had 4 since this was introduced)

My query is what should the following ingame settings be at? here they are with default values:
    Sensitivity = 100%
    Deadzone = 0% (I guess this is right!)
    Steering Rate = 20%
    Speed Sensitivity = 0% (again guess this is right)
    Exagerated Yaw = 25% EDIT: just realised this may have something to do with Head Movement so ignore lol :p

the ones in Italics I'm mostly interested in if anyone can help, thanks

9. W Lukas

W Lukas Registered

Hi
    I have just registered to reply specially to this thread.
    This guide is amazing regarding to ffb multi. Unfortunately the other part regarding STM is something that needs more discussion.
    I have g27 and this amazing ffb deadzone in bonus. I have to set STM at 16,5% to feel oscillations.
    When i set STM to 0 and ffb multi to 0,5 (Marussia) I can feel the grip lost in the corners when I understeer. Setting STM to 0,165 reduce ffb deadzone but unfortunately it reduces minimum forces u can feel. I now can't feel this minimal forces like grip lost in the corners.
    For those drivers who have t500 or CSW I recommend setting STM to the minimum value, no more than 0,005 i belive. For those who have g27 just buy another wheel. What we gain is a reduced deadzone but we also can't feel minimal forces.
    Do any other g27 user have the same feelings?

I will test more on this and will try to strike a happy medium, so the deadzone wouldn't be much excessive, and the feeling of minimal forces completely gone

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
  10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Excellent explanation. Jamezinho, try 0.05000 with your CSW. It works well for me and mine. Put all other values back to 1 or default.

11. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Ok. I'm using the CSR though which I imagine is quite a bit different to the CSW. It's basically the same base as the GT2 wheel.

12. Taxi645

Taxi645 Registered

Still hoping for someone knowledgeable to answer Marc's question. I'd like to know as well.

13. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I think I'm in the same case, huge dead zone with my new G27, and the feeling I have "no" understeer grip loss on my wheel.
    On my G25 the deadzone was not so huge, but the "no" understeer grip loss on my wheel was present too.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

you could have the spring value to high ?

( also to a lesser degree try a tad lower damping too)

15. W Lukas

W Lukas Registered

I have tried several STM and ffb Multi options, and for me the best are: STM : 0.10000 - 0.12000 and fbb multi: 0,45-0,50 (ofcourse deadzone is still there but not so big, and i can feel grip lost in corners). Tonight will try STM about 0.16500-0,17000 and very low ffb multi: around 0,3-0,4.
    Also what i have found is setting ffb strength in Logitech profiler to 107% reduce the deadzone to about 6.5%, according to wheelcheck. Will try experiment with this setting too, but it is also implementing nonlinearity, which is not recommended.

From very beginning i felt that something was wrong with this g27, but didn't know what exactly. Thanks to this guide a know now. Seriuosly, people pay lots of money for this wheel, and get no ffb where it is the most needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  16. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

In the Logitech driver parameters?

What are your Logitech parameters in driver (to compare) :
    FFB Strength : 100%?
    FFB Spring : 100%?
    FFB Damper : 100%?

17. W Lukas

W Lukas Registered

18. W Lukas

W Lukas Registered

I wonder if Logitech can update a driver to reduce deadzone? I am pretty sure they can, but they won't

19. t_blkance

t_blkance Registered

Thank you for this thread!!

This really made the feel so much more on my Fanatec GT3 V2.

Before I always felt like there was a slight disconnect between what I was seeing and felt.
    The part about raising the STM makes such a difference.

Thank You Again!!

20. Hazi

Hazi Registered

How much did you raise it? TIA