DW-12

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by dradecki, Mar 25, 2014.

1. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Ugly is, of course, in the eye of the beholder. What counts is the results of what the beholder sees.

2. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

You're right of course ;) I just can't stand winglets, let alone thousands of them. I like my cars clean :)

3. dradecki

dradecki Registered

I never thought it could be done, but the new aero-kits have out "ugly'd" F1.

4. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

winglets etc. aren't allways ugly, but man, did they ruin the looks of the indycar to me!!! And for what??? more difficult to drive closely together (thus less overtaking), more expensive, and lots of yellows just for debris of the winglets coming of..... Chevy doesn't look really nice, but the Honda..... I think I'm about to vomit :p

5. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

Yes, the most annoying thing were the number of cautions raised that way. Knowing how they drive in Indycar (and I like the style of driving :) ) its just plain stupid to put all those small pieces on the car which will break at the slightest of contact ...
    Also they don't seem to add too much as Power was still able to more or less follow Montoya after damaging his front wing. And as you mentioned they make driving closely together more difficult.

Well, probably we should move this discussion to "Real Racing discussion"?

Edit: Also a spectator got hurt badly from a flying piece which hit her on her head according to a (normally reliable) german motorsport website. :(

6. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

Me hoping big times for an updated IndyCar just in time for the Indy500, now that CPM got introduced. Would be awesome :eek:

7. Rapala

Rapala Registered

the new DW-12 feels really weird to me on Indianapolis as the steering gets superlight and understeery even with tiny inputs. I've tried all different wing settings but nothing helped. Anyone have any other tips to get the front wheels to bite? At the moment it just feels like're floating around.

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Have you tried removing some negative camber and increasing the caster? Those setting have a huge effect on the feel of the car. I'm running caster at about 8 to 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. drewdc90

drewdc90 Registered

I seem to have to use 1st gear all the time on road courses. Surely the 2nd gear on the real road course setup DW12 isn't that long.

10. Rapala

Rapala Registered

Wow that made a world of difference, thanks! ISI should really look at changing the default setup, because it changed the whole experience from unpleasant and undriveable to pretty awesome. There'll be plenty of people who try it, hate it, and never drive the car again. (I was nearly one of them)

11. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

I'm working on a setup for the DW12 on Indy, but I run into an issue:

The car feel reasonably stable the first few laps around, but it tends to get loose on the exit after that. The heat in the RR tyre starts exceeding 100 degrees Celsius and it gets worse from there on. I've already worked on my cambers, but in the RR I face the issue of having dropped the tyre pressure to its minimum and the middle of the tyre still being slightly hotter than the outer and the inner. I am kind of assuming the the heat causes the loose condition (which may be wrong...).

What tips do you have for me to deal with loose condition and the RR tyre temperature?

12. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Is your setup giving you balanced temps between front and rear axles?
    You know that Indy pilots regulate constantly on board both ARB to keep their car perfectly balanced (assign button on your keyboard or wheel), feature available in RF2.
    While driving, as soon as your rear tires begin to overheat, soften rear arb and raise front arb.

I don't know if the tire model of RF2 takes this into account.
    On a real car the lower the initial pressure, the higher the pressure you reach dynamically (through heat generated by the flex of the tire).
    So may be your inital pressures are to low, and rise as you run, raising the center temp, and then all the tire temp.
    Have a close look at your telemetry, follow your tire pressure.

If you know all this excuse me.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2015
  13. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

Good comments. I knew some of it, but not everything. Thanks for the help!

14. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

It's a problem with the car's lack of meaningful weight jacker. It's the most used oval in car adjustment and sadly it's not adjustable in rF2 in car. You could work with the ARBs like Lgel said, but I don't think it will cure it without introducing an issue elsewhere.

I'd advise raising the pressures, I wouldn't put too much stock into the temps over the way the car drives. Could also be that your car is too dependent on the right rear to turn it, which means start working on the left front and soften up the RR a bit.

Depending on what the setup is for you could also just add overall downforce if it's "wrecking loose" - if it's a race set the slipstream will overcome the added wing, especially at Indy. And the car will be easier to drive in traffic.

But again, you will probably end up with an issue sooner or later that you will just need to deal with as the fuel load changes, ride heights change, tires wear, tires heat up...

15. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Registered

Reworking the tyres did a lot for me, though I still can't move away from drving minimum pressure on the RR tyre, simply because the middle remains too hot, even if the temperatures are evenly distributed between outer and inner. The tyre's overall temperature will go up as far as 125 degrees Celsius, which is a little hotter than I'd like, but not devastating as far as I can see.

The issue is I have with softening up the RR is that I'm trying to get the car to turn in better - free it up a little and make it more agile so I can drive more lines. It feels reasonably neutral in turn 1 and 2, but it's a bit on the tight side, only allowing me to race the raceline or else hit the wall. In turn three it feels slightly too tight, partly because the bump offsets the car quite a bit. This might all be caster-related, but I feel that with less caster the car because a bit shakey.

As for the weight jacker. I hope a fix will be implemented at some point. For now it seems to me that two clicks can get me from the beginning to the end of a fuel run. Too bad it can't be adjusted in-car at the moment.

16. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

For those who don't understand Weight Jacker, I found this small article

17. faasda01

faasda01 Registered

Anyone have suggestion on how to get the AI to be more committed on oval tracks? Anytime the AI gets into traffic into a corner they let off WAY to much from aero-push, even when they wouldnt have to necessarily or as let off as heavily. I tried raising AI aggression but that doesnt really help, nor does AI skill. With high AI skill the AI ends up running super fast qualifying laps and then in the race slows down due to traffic to the point where I can catch up to the back of the lead pack and then yo-yo with the middle pack

18. Michael Peters

Michael Peters Registered

I'm trying to work on AI training, but can't seem to get anyone to share a really strong Indianapolis setup. As soon as I get that, I will have some progress!

19. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

I'll see what I can do. I have Tim Wheatley's from a long time ago, and one I slightly modified.

I have 2 + Tim's DW12 Racet
    39.837 and 39.911 is my fastest.

Good enough?

20. Michael Peters

Michael Peters Registered

Would be awesome!!!!!!

mikepeters@petersmotorsports.com

I'm working on building the "wisdom" files for the 2014 INDYCAR Carset with AI Calibration