Howdy, from a track guy

Discussion in 'Locations' started by cyruscloud, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Galaga

Galaga Banned

... and the backers would each have their name on a seat in the grandstands :p

2. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

@Cyruscloud....
    You've made a compelling argument for paid mods/work.
    If the quality is exceptional and the cost is within limits, I think you'll be fine.
    I'll support anybody who is committed and does this for a living to support themselves.
    Where I draw the line is with guys who get greedy and think a mod should cost half of what the original simulation sells for.
    I'll never support that...on principal alone.
    Hudson Kerr's mods were the first ones I ever purchased for the original rFactor.
    They're good enough to use....even by today's standards.

3. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

First, I want to say thanks for the support everyone. I want to address a few things, first starting this project I will likely go the same route as URD, kickstarters while it has its merits is better set for larger projects I believe. Putting a project out there, getting it approved by kickstarter, running the duration of the campaign and you are looking at likely over a month or more time before even knowing whether the first track will be getting built much less getting into actually building it. To wait all that time on a failed campaign wouldn't be a good situation. I'd rather build something before hand, and if it doesn't sale as much as I want then that is unfortunate but at the very least the community got something, I got something and it builds from there. At the end of the day, the more I can get into the sim racers hands and still be satisfied myself the better. Not saying I won't go the kickstarter route someday for a project I've wanted to do for a while but I think establishing some notoriety first would go a long way to making that project successful later.

Where do things go from here? Well few things I need to handle, first going to talk to a recent friend I made to try to workout how I'm going to run this second. Also need to go through a crash course on RF2 to familiarize myself with its new features. Finally I'm going to try to find a little more formal way to get feedback from the sim racers on what tracks they want. I have a group of tracks in mind right now that I want to do and people have asked for but I want to make sure I'm getting all the feedback I can.

4. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

A 1966/67 Brands Hatch would be a very nice place to start!

5. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

I donate 100$ for all the actual f1 circuits.

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I would suggest to use a facebook post for each of the suggestions of tracks you want people to feedback about its creation/conversion.

The one that achieves the highest number of "likes" is likely the one from which you'll get the biggest revenue.

enviado mediante tapatalk

7. gq4life

gq4life Registered

I'd pay for NJ Motorsport thunder hill and lightning..

Also a 2014 Corvette Stingray

Sent From The Q on the Galaxy S4

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

You know that likes today are un-likes tomorrow right? and then you have 'those people' whom abuse the system to increase the likes just because they like likes. or in this case they want a certain track made. risky stuff imo.

9. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I'd switch most tracks for a properly good Suzuka <3

10. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Just wanted to drop in and say I have some things going but it will be a while before I have any significant news. On another note with the recent release of the karts and isi's apparent move to fully support karting I am going to look into working in some kart tracks where I can. If the bigger tracks have a kart track on their property and it isn't too out of the way I will try to get it in and working.

11. Panigale

Panigale Banned

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/13959-Vote-what-tracks-the-community-would-like-to-see-in-rF2

Not sure how helpful the above thread will be, I tried to keep the list short with focus on East Coast tracks.

I would be happy to pay for high quality tracks. I did reach out to Feels to do a private build of the Singapore F1 street circuit but he was already moving to his new job.

ISI has yet to do a street course so that could be something worthwhile. Indy cars will be out soon enough so doing an Indy street course would get your name out to the community quickly.

Other available tracks might be worth doing in higher quality like Sebring. That could also show what you can do since the one we have now is good but not great.

Lastly consider doing part of a track. e.g. Track days at VIR are usually a section of the track, e.g. North Course. So you could do the North Course for free so we can see your work, and make the entire track a pay mod that included all the layouts. *VIR has a kart track as well I believe. If it is ISI or Feels3 level quality you'll have plenty of paying customers.

Cheers.

12. cyruscloud

cyruscloud Registered

Howdy, it has been quite a while since I last checked in. I've been working on the first track, however I've needed to take art commissions to keep bringing an income in the mean time, so while it has been a little over 2 months since I started I've probably only got a months work in so far so safe to say I'm not really as far a long as I originally wanted to be at this point. Also considering this is commercial work I have to make everything from scratch so every texture and every model has to be made stress and since all my recent previous work was commercial as well I can't use any of those resources either. Bad news aside progress is being made and today I reveal what I've been working on. Some are bound to recognize this track quickly enough. This is not all I have in the works though, I have some other stuff in early stages this is just the one that I am pushing to completion first. I still hope to have at least two tracks released before years end, unless something really unexpected happens I don't see that being too much of a stretch.

Preview01.jpg
    Preview02.jpg

13. Adam7250

Adam7250 Registered

If I must say, I'm not one for payware as I really never have any money due to me being sorta young without a job. I'm reconsidering my views on the idea I've been playing rfactor for awhile bought a copy of rfactor 2 a year and some months ago and never stop loving it, that being said the lack of quality tracks for rf1 was astonishing usually rushed, poor textured and or the usual like when somebody puts out a track every week or so if you understand. I honestly wouldn't mind dropping a some money down on a quality built track where the builder takes in thee attention of detail and all those goodies especially if it's a hill climb stage! I love hill climbs if you haven't guessed yet up to this point. The fact that most rf1 stages are sorta on the rough side except a few and the one I'm currently waiting on from Lemax the "Krajiška Zmija" one that looks wonderful! sigh, If only st. Ursanne and others were like that :). If someone made hillclimb stages for rf2 when they finally push the proper functions of hill climb in the future made a quality beyond par scratch track and was selling it I wouldn't hesitate to buy Id be saving all my pennies and dimes even tho I'm broke most of the time. I'm all up for it as long as it's worth the $ :). I apologies for the lack of grammar, punctuations and possible saying what I said before without noticing