[WIP] Race Engineer (Spotter) plugin for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Other' started by cosimo, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Gerald Jacobson

Gerald Jacobson Registered

No. I have disabled the volume managment. I plan to work differently, but i need to wait some third party decisions.

2. Oriol

Oriol Registered

Ok, thanks

3. whitmore

whitmore Registered

TIG_green I will put together instructions and code that I used (I got it all from files Gerald supplied with the plugin).I will post here if Gerald is ok with me doing that.

4. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Shouldn't we be able to add any category we want to the vehicle class.ini? The issue is where do you find the name of category, so the plugin knows what car you are using in the sim if it is a new mod?

5. Gerald Jacobson

Sure, no problem.

6. Gerald Jacobson

Yes. You can add what ever you want. The vehicleClass received by the plugin come from veh or upgrade files (who can override veh value)

7. Ernie

Ernie Registered

I hope i'm not wrong, but if you enable debug mode in spotter.ini, you can see the vehicle class in the "spotter.log".

8. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Can you provide an example of where to find the target name to use?

Thanks

9. Gerald Jacobson

You can also set debugMode=1 and look at the Spotter.log. you will see the class of your car.

10. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Add Laptime to Spotter Instruction.

Add Laptime to Spotter Instruction. I advise to read the entire set of instructions before attempting the process.

1. Copy and paste the entire content of the file named Laptime.txt provided in this post to the end of the lines of code in the file named DefaultEvents.ini which is found inside of the spotter directory.
    The file can be opened for editing in any text editor by selecting the file and a right mouse click and then left click to choose open.

** At any time a double left click can be used in place of the right click and left click to open process**

2. Once copy and paste completed do a file "save as" process to save the file as DefaultEventsNEW.ini (Note Upper case D and Upper case E )."NEW" not case sensitive and we will be renaming the file again after a couple more steps.

3. Select the file named DefaultEvents.ini and right click on it, then left click to choose rename. Click inside the text box to rename the file to DefaultEvents.ini.old (.old added to the end of the file name)
    This step just provides a safe copy of the original file should things go wrong or you want to revert to the original file.

4. Select the file you named DefaultEventsNEW.ini and right click on it, then left click to choose rename. Rename the file to DefaultEvents.ini (Note Upper case D and Upper case E ).

5. Copy and paste the content in the Rule 29.txt file provided in this post to the end of the lines of code in the file named DefaultRules.ini which is found inside of the spotter directory.

6. Once copy and paste completed do a file "save as" process to save the file as DefaultRulesNEW.ini (Note Upper case D and Upper case R )."NEW" not case sensitive and we will be renaming the file again after a couple more steps.

7. Select the file named DefaultRules.ini and right click on it, then left click to choose rename. Click inside the text box to rename the file to DefaultRules.ini.old (.old added to the end of the file name)
    This step just provides a safe copy of the original file should things go wrong or you want to revert to the original file.

8. Select the file you named DefaultRulesNEW.ini and right click on it, then left click to choose rename. Rename the file to DefaultRules.ini (Note Upper case D and Upper case R ).

9. Right click and open the file you have just renamed DefaultRules.ini Edit line three (3) to read Rules.count=29 and then save the file.

The default is set for the spotter to read laptime down to hundredths of a second. The code is already set if you want spotter to read down to tenths of a second only.

To change edit these lines in the DefaultEvents.ini file.
    Remove // from in front of the line // Variable=Input1RoundFunc,10,60000,0 and place // at the front of Variable=Input1RoundFunc,100,600000,0
    // In tenths:
    Variable=Input1RoundFunc,10,60000,0

// In hundredths
    // Variable=Input1RoundFunc,100,600000,0
    Like this it will read down to tenths of a second instead of the default hundredths of a second.

Sorry to those that may find these instructions tedious but I have tried to ensure a complete set of instructions that could be used by anyone willing to try.

Undoubtedly less steps could be used but in the thought of file protection during changes I have used small steps for completeness

I hope it works as well for you as it does for me. Post if further help needed or an error is found that I have overlooked

Click on the file names below to have them open or saved to your PC

View attachment 14413 View attachment 14414

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
  11. MOD43

MOD43 Registered

Maybe it might be better if Gerald could add it?

12. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Maybe so but I just did what someone asked me to do

13. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Thanks for the detailed explanation :).
    IMO the sense of a fully customizable plugin is that we can do things like this (alone).

14. whitmore

whitmore Registered

That's exactly right alpa-bravo. Gerald has said his plugins are meant to be fully customizable. The way Gerald builds his plugins and then shows and teaches us how to use and customise them is highly commendable.
    We get we learn we prosper thank you Gerald.
    That's what builds communities.

15. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Guess I've found something useful: http://mary.dfki.de:59125/
    It is a text-to-speech processor of sorts. Try choosing the voice "cmu_bdl_hsmm en_US male hmm", activate audio effects --> FIRFilter and type a text for it to say. Then click on "Speak".

16. Gerald Jacobson

New Version Available

- change "wormer" to "warmer" in the EN sounds : "temp_brake_low.wav" & "temp_tyre_low.wav"
    - Renamed "breakTooCold" & "breakTooHot" by "brakeTooCold" & "brakeTooHot" in ini files : Spotter.ini, VehicleClass.ini, DefaultRules.ini
    - Added [EGT] in vehicleClass for category & brakes

17. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Thanks for the new version :)

some things still:

- Some messages would need some delay. For example Finish message, it breaks immersion when you get the message at the very second you cross the finish line.
    - I get messages like "you are leading the race", "use overtake button" etc. in the qualification...those belong only to a race.
    - Sometimes spotter say "you are sixth (etc.)" even though I just did fastest overall time. Right after that message it announces that "gongratulation, you are leading" or "gongratulations, you did your best time" (don't rememeber which one of those or the exact wording). Anyway, sometimes it tells your position wrong after you have completed a lap.
    - As ISI Tuttle said, I also think that some background noises to the messages would add to the immersion.
    - and please, could you implement a way to lower the volume somehow without lowering general volume level?

Thank you very much for your efforts Gerald :) I don't know how to do any of this stuff and feel free to say enough is enough at some point ;)

18. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

I have customized the ten messages (position one to ten) with bleeb and background noise.
    Now they combine com the other audios of my race engineer.
    Who wants to use them can find them here

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2014
  19. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

This is a great plugin. However, FYI, I was using it while practicing for an endurance race and my rF2 crashes when I do a driver swap. The Trackmap plugin works, as did the spotter and GID in rF1.

Maybe some call isn't getting cleaned up or something.

20. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Great customization GauchoRS I copied them over and they work fantastic.