New user interface (by FSR - preview)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luis Armstrong, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

My apologies, in my rush I posted the version of that not from Lucas Di Grassi's youtube channel. Here is his proper version, where you can see the camera mount at the end. Looks like eye level to me. Also note his comments in the description regarding the view and the camera placement.

2. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

3. Rik

Rik Registered

in the video of Di Grassi the pitch axis of the camera is not perfectly aligned with the pitch axis of the head. ... i think
    it gives an idea of the visual pilot correctly, +/- few degrees difference
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
  4. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

I get your point but when you are not in the track you can move your head around, imagine if I had to adjust the UI to every driver acording to his wheel/screen position...

About this, what I can do is some kind of list where I show all the usable commands in the chat, as a reminder. But first I need the list, so feel free to share all the commands you know and you want to be in the list (right now I don't know if ISI made some public list of commands, I will have to do some searching).

5. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

In your linked video Louis it is clearly above eye level probably on top of the helmet, and it's a different type of car, the guys toes aren't as high as his shoulders. In the second video minibull posted you can see the Go Pro is actually ABOVE the eyeline, but lets give it the benefit of the doubt and say it's angled down slightly(doesn't look like it is though), even so the driver does not see much more (if anything) than that. I understand people don't want to believe it, probably because we all like to think we could do that and be competitive. I'm saying it's a lot harder than you think, and you can simulate exactly how hard if you like a challenge. All you have to do is sit like they sit, angle the wheel flat level with your shoulders, line up the axes and there you have it, you will see as little as they do. You will need to know each circuit like the back of your hand, braking points, lines, alternative lines; it would take study, walking the track, driving the track in other vehicles if possible, talking it over with other drivers, picking the theory and various scenarios apart with your team, testing and practicing, slowly building up your speed as the team works the setup. Then you may not even complete more than a few laps in the race, crash on the first corner. These cars are a challenge even for the best drivers in the world, why do people think they should/would be running competitive realistic laptimes in them within a few hours. If you are simulating it's going to be a lot harder than that. The reality is you would probably never set competitive laptimes unless you had been karting since you were pre-pubescent, then moved to a junior formula as soon as your feet reach the pedals in that, and so on.
    If you don't like the humbling experience that being let loose in a Formula 1 or pretty much any other race car without a lot of training and practice would be, just use nosecam or put your monitors, seat and controls where it's most convenient, keep them there no matter what car you drive. If you want simulation though, and use the software to its fullest potential, you might have to do something else.

Eduard it wasn't about your UI which is nice and clean as I stated, it was in the hope that ISI would say oh right if we just did "this" the UI could display on any screen, honestly no it really is a struggle to see around, and the more laid down you get the worse it is.

And if I keep mumbling on, a new build might appear.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I think what we've posted so far is about it for useful commands.

/admin
    /addpenalty
    /subpenalty
    /changelaps
    /racelength
    /w
    /restartwarmup (is already there though)
    /throwyellow
    /clearyellow
    /dq
    /undq
    /setmass
    /editgrid
    /ping

This is the full list from rf1 which seems to all work in rf2. No idea though if there have been additional commands created for rf2:

Code:
    /vote yes  [same as pressing YES button]
    /vote no [same as pressing NO button]
    /ping [same as pressing button]
    /w [whisper to given player - can be just the first few letters of player's name if they are unique]
    /whisper [same functionality as "/w" ]
    /callvote nextsession [proceeds to next session (practice to qual, for example)]
    /callvote nextrace [proceeds to next event in dedicated server track list]
    /callvote event [proceeds to given event (such as "24 Hours of Toban" or "Spa")] 
    /callvote restartrace [restarts the race]
    /callvote restartwarmup [client request to go to the beginning of warmup]
    /restartwarmup [admin/server command to go to the beginning of warmup]
    /callvote restartweekend [goes back to practice]
    /callvote addai [adds 1 AI]
    /callvote add5ai [adds 5 AI]
    /callvote kick [kick specified player out of race]
    /callvote ban [bans specified player from server] 
    /admin [take over administrator (wrong or no password = stop being administrator)]
    /editgrid [admin command to move the specified player to the given position on the grid - note that you should do the grid from first to last or you may fail to achieve the expected results] 
    /setmass [admin/server command to apply a penalty mass (0-255 kg) to the specified player with immediate effect, lasting for the rest of the weekend]
    /changelaps [admin/server command to adjust the number of completed laps (-10 to +10) to the specified player for the purpose of allowing live stewards' input into the game's scoring system] 
    /addpenalty [admin/server command adds a penalty to the given player. The following are valid values for : -2=longest line, -1=drive-thru, 0-60=stop/go penalty number of seconds]
    /subpenalty [admin/server command removes a penalty from the given player. The following are valid values for : 0=remove one stop/go penalty, 1=remove one drive-thru penalty, 2=remove one longest line penalty, 3=remove all penalties]
    /throwyellow [] [admin/server command starts a full-course caution for the given number of laps (must be at least 2). If laps is not given, normal randomized value will apply]
    /clearyellow [admin/server command nds a full-course caution as soon as possible, regardless of the planned number of laps]
    /racelength [] [admin/server command changes the race length for the next race: =0 sets a % length race, =1 sets a -lap race, =2 sets a -minute (timed) race, =3 sets a -lap and -minute race]
    /shutdownserver [admin command tells a dedicated server to exit immediately]
    /set upload [change upload speed (works on own machine only, administrator can't change server's upload at this time)]
    /set download [change download speed (same as above)]
    /set nagle <0 or 1> [can only be done on server - specifies whether questionable Nagle TCP algorithm is used]
    /set warp <0.1 - 3.0> [in future, will affect voicechat. The warp connotation comes from the period of time to take in between sending each voice packet. 1.0 is the default] 
    /batch [used to execute batchfile commands] 
    /dq drivername [disqualifies driver]
    /undq drivername [removes an unwanted DQ] 
    /restartwarmup [encase drivers disco just before the race]

Just a noob-observation Eduard. restart warmup is already listed and working, you're not able to copy that routine in the code and add other commands to it?

If not I hope ISI can help out in this because i'm not sure at all that novice admins will be able to know what to do from just a reminder list.
    For example /racelength needs to be /racelength 1 20 to change to 20 laps.
    ISI did ask leagues what they wanted in this area so I reckon they got some stuff up their sleeves, would be excellent if they would support your (and our) quest in this in making rf2 more accessible.

7. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I think your video is pretty close, but I have seen better camera's. Not f1 though, but close ;)

In the first two videos the cam is probably slightly to low (when I have my helmet on (karting) and I look straight through the visor, you see more of the top of your helmet, then the bottom of the helmet). In the last video it is very close (just look in the mirrors, they excually point straight back instead of sky/road). If anything, just a tiny bit too high.

8. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Lol, when one of those videos stopped, it showed me a video of an F1 car with in-helmet cam (Kubica, Monza)

9. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Cool videos that demonstrate how little you see even with a camera at eyebrow level which a couple of the videos were, a couple were at nose tip level. If you look at the mirrors of the marussia in the photos they are big and up high, almost slightly above eye level, other designs of car have them below or at eye level, as in the Kubica video.

10. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I find the idea weird that there are millions spend on building the ultimate driving machine... in a design where you can't see the road ahead.

11. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

If you can not see the road It means you have lower gravity center, that's the point. And they can not use lower nose because they would lose downforce, they need a high nose to let air go under the car. They are not stupid ;)

12. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

They aren't really the ultimate driving machine, more like misbehaving prima donnas. They are designed for the ultimate speed within a strict set of rules.

13. AK1504

AK1504 Registered

I was expecting some news about the topic and i found alot OT. :confused:

14. naifexx

naifexx Registered

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Release scheduled for April 16

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

any word with possible PLR additioons to the UI? think my post got lost in the OT discussion! Basically is it possible to add all/most/popular PLR entries into the UI?

17. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Now we have a blasphemy. Please, name any other category of racing which has more advanced feature (any feature) than a F1 car.

18. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

This has already been said, no.

19. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Apologies for going OT. Since you started the thread and asked Luis I would say rally has contributed quite a lot to road cars, but no nothing has contributed more in terms of pushing vehicle technology than F1. I was just trying to offer GCC an explanation. Speed is everything, if it's faster without the tech they run that way, if your driver can't handle the lack of view, you buy a new one that can. They are the ultimate driving vehicle on the right surface. Give me a 4 wheel drive turbo with suspension that can handle jumps and potholes for every other surface.

20. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Nevermind about OT.

Understand your point, but to me works that way: Give to f1 teams another kind of surface and you will see the ultimate driving vehicle for that surface.

The budget of top f1 teams are huge. I think no other category of race come close to what they spend in a year.

I think Marussia and Caterham spend more in a year than a top team of Indy car, to put in perspective.