Will ISI look at DX12?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jamie Shorting, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Just curious if ISI is looking at DX12. Too early to tell if it's hype or what but the information coming out soon should be interesting.

2. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

What I heard is that Microsoft wants to give developers the possibility to use the available hardware on a much lower programming level than currently and to reduce the CPU draw calls similar to AMD's Mantle API. Would be a good thing since rFactor 2 can be quite demanding on the CPU.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Dx12 won't be out until 2015. Rf2 will not be retro engineered for Dx12 when the game now is not even being developed for dx11... or 10....

rf3? Maybe.

5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

This is, of course, pure speculation; but I don't expect to see any ground-breaking features of DX12--at least not for current desktop Windows applications--maybe some optimizations if you want to really get into it. I suspect that the focus will be more on mobile markets rather than desktop. That just seems to be the direction that Microsoft is looking at these days, what with Windows 8 and all.

6. keanos

keanos Registered

They should go for opengl or mantle and not this directx trash. Just two words: Linux, steamOS

7. datanode

datanode Registered

Hell yeah! Not steam, I hate that... But cross platform in principle would be great.

Doubt that'll happen

8. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

The trouble will be the hardware, I remember trying to play crysis on dx10 when it first came out, with my newly released top of the range AMD dx10 card. It ran at about 25 fps. Don't think I played another dx10 title before dx11 came out. What I'm saying is DX12 may release in a years time, but the gfx cards that will be able to utilize it (properly) may be a year after.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

^^
    Agree there.

I want to revamp my PC a bit in the near future (my specs are listed in the profile) and as soon as I saw the DX12 announcement I thought "oh I should wait!" However thinking about it, DX12 will likely be the top dog for 3 years (unless it's like DX10) and compatible cards will be great, but they will be pricey and the games won't be readily supporting it. So purchasing a very nice new DX11 card this November (for example) will be more beneficial to all software coming out at least through Q1 2015 than getting a DX12 card with current software seeing no change (unless it's there's a nice surprise in the announcement) and new stuff not being out until sometime mid-late 2015... and there's little chance I'll be interested in those games.