Assetto Corsa additional to my game collection

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Thepharcyde, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde Registered

I've been a long term RF2 player since dabblings in RF1 many moons ago. I Absolutely love the physics and it's a fantastic game that is also a hair losing experience when it comes to setting up / tweaking.

I've been considering AS primarily as it would appear to benefit from out of the box gameplay sans-faffing/tweaking as having children do not get much time to play games but when I do get the opportunity do not want to spend 10 mins tweaking to get the best fps/experience.

However RF2 is just so good when it works. Would I be disappointed with AS? I'm not one for a polished looking game in respect to photo visuals, just a good challenging realistic simulator?

Opinions, AS as good as RF2?

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

If you are looking for a game, AC is pretty damn driveable. If you're looking for a sim, stick with rF2.

3. sn0man

sn0man Registered

what he said...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

No

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It pretty far from rF2 standards physics wise imo. I was hugely let down when I actually bought AC, mostly because it was hyped up to be something it'll never be.

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

One last AC commentary from me:
    From all the videos I´ve seen and related to all the bug-reports
    in AC-forum, the AC physics is one big bug!
    Car-movement without tyre-movement, car don´t roll down a hill,
    whacky oscillating in stillstand etc, etc.

Once you have tweaked rF2 (in which people here in forum helps much if needed)
    you don´t have to touch it again! So: where´s the problem?
    PC is no console!
    I´m sure in AC you have to tweak too in the beginning, for the "nice" graphics don´t
    run from nothing! Don´t know what system you have though...

Last sentence:
    If ISI (rF2) would have such physics-bugs that AC have, world would rant ISI to death (or so)!

Greets
    Pete

7. ThoKa

ThoKa Guest

This is the problem.

rF2

A quirky installation process
    ...followed by endless installations of single mods which all have to be updated manually (in case you found the download links at all)
    ...followed by fiddling around with an uninspired menu which looks like a 5 year old made it.
    ...followed by checking the right FFB settings (F2 and Civic.....) till the end of time
    ...followed by setting up the graphics to get rid of the immense flickering and aliasing
    ...followed by the frustration that the sim looks like a 10 year old game and still runs like crap
    ...followed by not being able to join a server because ,get mod' does not work
    ...followed by spending more time on the forum than on track to get a solution for any problem

AC

Start Steam
    Ready

8. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Yes AC
    Start Steam
    Ready
    Run 1 Lap
    Fall Asleep :)

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

LOL!
    Installation could not be less flawless!! Don´t know what you mean!?
    All the mods have to be installed, yes! I´m curious if (later) mods in AC will install easier, what I doubt, because it´s easy as poop in rF2!
    Don´t know how an UI can be sorted after age? OK it´s less intuitive.
    Looks like 10 year old?? Get you a proper GFXcard and monitor!
    MP-problem will soon be solved.
    Spending more time in forum than ingame? What problems?

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Wow... Just wow. Talk about exaggerating things.

All you have to do is ask for help on this forum, and you'll get it.
    I had a few problems myself last year when I bought rF2, but christ it's such a huge and complicated sim, I didn't expect otherwise.
    Every problem I had, the community helped me solve in a matter of hours.

But yeah, AC is pretty easy to start up, I'll give you that... Just too bad there isn't much reason to do so, at least for the moment.

If Kunos could just forget about being the "most beautiful" sim on the market, and instead put some real efford into physics, ffb and AI, maybe I'll give a shot in the future.

That whole project is just so incredibly overhyped and I really can't understand why people are tripping so much. A racing sim must be about the sensations and excitement of racing, right?
    Well if the physics don't make sense, ffb is wonky and the AI drive like sleep deprived children on meth... Can't really be "king of sims" now can it? ;)

I've spent 30 hours with AC at this point, and I must say that with the state it's in/has been in, I'd really like those 30 hours back.

11. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Out of the box gameplay says it all really. Boot it up, hook up your gamepad, misinterpret the grip levels as you being an ace driver, you are good to go. Really all they have to do is add some championships where you win money and can then buy non existent prototype vehicles (like you do in real life) and it will be complete.

I don't tweak rf2 everytime I play. Once you have it setup right why would you?

My opinion is they are not even the same genre, so there is no point comparing them.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Rf2 looked completely garbage on my pc until I updated to the very latest drivers (nvidia)

Now rf2 looks very nice on my pc

Sounds strange but I'm sure some of the higher graphical settings not only make things look much better but in some cases allow the software to run better too ( am now using resolution 900x4900 )

Use no or very low AA (level 1 on multi sample) otherwise lots of fps lost

13. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Its really not which is better, but what the user wants. I support all sims out there. I have alot of them on my pc right now and enjoy them all. Its really about what makes YOU happy, the End User, simracer. They all give me satisfaction for whatever reasons.

14. RJames

RJames Registered

Bingo, nail on head.

15. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

Exaggerating? Yes but he still tells the truth in my opinion.

I don't know if AC or rF2 is better because that is everyones own opinion and I enjoy both.

Maybe you have spent 30 hours in AC and want that time back... I've spent way more time fixing bugs, updating, downloading mods from stupid slow filehosters, fiddling around with the settings in rFactor 2 or crashing to desktop after an update.
    Being a PC and not a console game is not an excuse for a system to be as complicated and user unfriendly as it currently is.
    I love rFactor2, I love to drive it, I love realroad, I love the tyre physics, I love to watch it (even with those outdated graphics), I love to talk about it and I love to test new stuff with it BUT I also think that rFactor 2 is technical wise total garbage.

And it doesn't help that everytime someone suggests feedback is getting told by the community that this is a SIM and not arcade which is made for the elite PC and not for console kiddies and feature XY isn't needed because I didn't need it in 1998 and stuff like that. rFactor 2 could be way better if some people wouldn't be so arrogant.

Bottom line or if you don't want to read everything:
    If you love rFactor 2 you don't have to hate every other sim or game. Look at them, take the good parts and suggest them for your beloved sim to make it even better. Or do people really think that rFactor 2 would be worse if you could install mods and join servers with only one click?

16. JJStrack

JJStrack Registered

besides of all that stuff, i find the current track selection of AC a big letdown.
    Since you just don't feel as much detail in tha cars behaviour, compared to RF2, it gets very boring very quickly, to run around one of those flat racetracks.
    The only real fun thing is joux planes, but the track has three big holes in its mesh and no catch fences, so you spend most time flying off the track and restarting.
    Also whats really annoying are these forced slow-downs which i just can't manage to shut off, even by tweaking that one .ini

So i would say invest a few hours into rf2 and then have an awfull lot of fun. I spent a few hours on setting up rf2 when it first came out, and since then i nearly spend no time on fiddling with it...i don't get what some people are talking about here :confused:
    I just download mods, install them and run them....what's the problem?

17. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

That's a pretty contradictory statement.

It isn't arrogant to say that rF2 works best on elite PCs. It is a statement of fact. Furthermore even if you bought the best hardware currently available you could not run this software to its full potential. rF2 will be getting better for about the next 3 years I would guess. By then I expect the only current driving game, sim or whatever you want to call them that rF2 will be being compared to will be iRacing. Maybe by then someone from the community will have created a one click mod installer.... you never know.

18. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde Registered

Thank you for the feedback. AS not rolling down hills is a bit short sighted.

I have since found a kinda Sweetspot with RF2 capping FPS in the plr file and compromising with adaptive v-sync.

AS is 33% off till Monday hence post. Its a niggling itch that I've scanned YouTube forums etc looking for an unbiased opinion as I think RF2 will take some beating.

19. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Opinion? Mh, for me this is NOT true!
    Maybe lot´s of people have different experiances, but FOR ME at least
    it was all flawless!
    OP said he used rF1 too, so he should be OK with UI and tweaking.

Greets
    Pete

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Assetto Corsa. AC. I don't know why you're saying AS.

We aren't bound to have one or the other, there's no need to argue about which is better. We're here, so we have rF2, maybe some of us only have rF2, maybe those with both prefer rF2 or AC. Who cares.

Unfortunately a thread like this will very quickly turn into another 10 pages of **** with people going off at each other. Just try AC, if you think you could enjoy it then get it. It's your money, your decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.