IS NVIDIA Image Quality A Joke, Or Is It Just Me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I think I just put everything to default, takes 2 seconds. Probably doesn't even matter though.

2. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

They are using the same profiles. Whatever you change in the Inspector is changed in your profile in your control as well - and vice versa.
    So when saving your profile in the control panel, Sparse Grid AA is lost since it won't show in the control panel. Only use the Inspector instead. ;)

3. FatnSlo

FatnSlo Registered

This Alt-M works fantastic for me!

Please ISI make this an option in the game or in a .plr or .ini file that we can permanently disable.

4. Robert Gödicke

I would still use Alt+M additionally because it fixes the problem of wrong LOD biases which Supersampling and Multisampling can't fix. :)

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Someone stated on this thread that SSAA and SGSSAA, and different amounts of them, have their own different mip map LOD properties to them, so maybe they do fix the LOD bias issues as well?

6. Robert Gödicke

Not SGSSAA. There are two other modes called 16xS and 32xS which are already a combination of SS and MS. They use their own Mip LOD bias.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Guys does Alt-M work magic for AMD users as well? I need to know as I would like to update my AMD / NV GFX settings posts (ones in my signature).

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ohhhh ok, got confused. Thanks :)

9. TechAde

TechAde Registered

The bias tweaks applied by those modes still require the track materials to be set at 0.0, either by the track modeller or Alt-M.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

10. Robert Gödicke

Indeed. Even with 32xS which is super demanding (less than 40 fps for me with super high input lag -> Undrivable!) the flickering is unbearable. It already looks heaps better than Multisampling and Sparse Grid Supersampling, but still -> Heavy flickering!

Here's a comparison:

32xS (which is 2x2 SS + 8x MS + adjusted Mip LOD bias in the driver):
    [​IMG]

32xS and using Alt+M in rFactor 2:
    [​IMG]

Using Alt+M stops the flickering. Look closely at the white line left side of the track, in the distance. But I get pretty close image quality with Multisampling only with no Supersampling whatsoever by just using Alt+M. The fence looks basically the same. The only difference is that I have almost no noticeable input lag and 120 fps locked. :)

The only downside of Alt+M is a very slight blur in the distance, but for a smooth, non-flickering image, I can live easily with that.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2014
  11. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Isn't there a value in the plr called something like "mip mapping=1" ?
    (Can't look into because no rF2 on my Ipad )

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Thats interesting... Alt-M aside, SGSSAA+MSAA (Both at the same sample amount) looked the best to me, and cleaned up the entire picture the best (especially at 4x or more), looked much better than 32xS...Have you tried disabling the transparency AA all together and just using raw supersampling for everything (1x2, 2x1, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4)? I guess it's sort of irrelevant now with this amazing Alt-M discovery....

13. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Just want say this has been an interesting discussion. Anyone care to summarize with a bottom line recommendation?

14. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I can't believe most of us only found out about alt M now.... wtf

15. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

keep control of AA levels on nvidias Gpu, Try Alt+M and pay attention in what changes on screen, testing settings in your hardware starting with default.

16. Patterik

Patterik Registered

No kidding, awesome, the white line jaggies are pretty much gone.

17. Robert Gödicke

Best image quality possible:

Use either 32xS AA mode (using Nvidia Inspector) and press Alt+M on track
    or use 4xMSAA/8xMSAA together with 4xSGSSAA/8xSGSSAA and Alt+M (Sparse Grid Supersampling, it's under "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling" in the Inspector). Use the same number of samples for both (4x or 8x).

Best compromise quality/performance:

Simply use 4x or 8xMSAA and press Alt+M on track. Smooth lines, fences and superior performance (no input lag, twice as many fps than SGSSAA and 3 times the fps of 32xS for me -> suitable for competitive racing).

In all cases always use 16x Anisotropic Texture Filtering of course.

18. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

I don't think you would want to use Alt+M if you're already using 4x or 8xSGSSAA? Would that not just hurt image quality?

The SparseGrid would get rid of the jagged white lines and flickering on it's own.

19. Robert Gödicke

It doesn't actually. :)

It minimizes it to a point where it's barely noticeable for us, agreed, but the problem is the initial texture filtering itself. If we would use excessive downsampling (rendering the whole image in a much, much higher resolution internally and then resizing it to our monitor's native resolution) we wouldn't notice the way too sharp filtering as well. But it's a "brute force" method which is extremely performance hungry and simply isn't necessary if the problem is fixed where it originates from. :)

If your car's transmission produces so much friction that your car is a lot slower compared to a competitor, you can of course use a much more powerful engine which will make it go faster, but produce a lot more heat as well and burn a lot more fuel (next to a higher chance of damaging the whole thing). Or you could simply fix your transmission and reduce the friction. :)

The "hurt" image quality is, like I stated some posts earlier, a personal preference. I can see the wrong filtering when not using Alt+M. I can see it on screenshots and even more in motion while driving. Using Alt+M is a little bit more blurred, yes, but it's actually more "correct" than the oversharpened effect we get without.

Edit:
    Here you can see a zoomed screenshot from one of my examples above. Yes I know it's not SGSSAA, but trust me, it looks virtually the same (32xS may in fact look even better):

[​IMG]

The original problem is clearly visible, and it gets worse in motion.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2014
  20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

in a word: Yes

like others cant believe I never knew of this before, I now dont need SuperSampling so re-gain those valuable FPS with MultiSampling, great stuff!