rFactor 2 AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hamiltonfan2205, Feb 27, 2014.

1. hamiltonfan2205

hamiltonfan2205 Registered

I ran a winter league last December for my AI series and this year is the third year in a row where I'm stuck with rFactor 1 when I tried to use rfactor 2 and found it wasn't ready.

There are many reasons why it couldn't be used this year. Firstly, as I reported, the AI cars are not affected by damage. Secondly, the overtaking rate needs to be improved. On the opening lap it's fine, but the slipstream is basically like a magnet they can't get out of. Even with DRS (I set DRS zones for particular tracks) they close on another car but they don't bother ducking out of the slipstream, they just stay behind. The only way there is a decent amount of overtaking is at a point where the backmarkers stay within like 20 secs of the leader. Finally, AI mistakes. Some of the crashes are quite realistic and I'm glad ISI have sorted the glitch from rfactor 1 where cars rejoin straight into a barrier, or when cars rejoin the track regardless if there was any cars coming. But the AI mistakes look intentional, it looks like they just steer into a barrier deliberately. ISI should make it like rfactor 1 where it looks like they missed their braking point totally.

The AI mistakes thing, if it wasn't sorted I'd say rfactor 2 is still usable but the other things essentially need to be sorted for me to be able to use rfactor 2. Is there any way around these things or are they both just something ISI need to sort out?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Depends which cars you use. A few of the cars we shipped don't come with enough cars to have enough variation. So you're asking the same driver in the same car, to overtake someone of exactly the same skill. Cars like the Civic, F2, SB2000 come with more AI cars and more variation. You should get a decent race from those. The C6R, for example, is three cars, three drivers, putting 20 of those same driver in a race, means a train. You're better off adding GT cars from other classes with the C6R, like how ti races in real life.

3. jmoog121

jmoog121 Registered

I totally agree with the AI slipstream passing issue. Whenever AI is in slipstream, instead of using the additional speed to try to pass it just taps on the brake constantly. I ruins the immersion. In real races drivers tend to use the additional speed no matter how small the advantage is, even if they can't out brake the car ahead to next corner. It's one of the excitement of real races. Don't get me wrong, I think ISI has done plenty to improve AI behavior from original rfactor, and one of the big deciders for buying it. But AI slipstream braking in same class of cars annoys me to no end.
    On a same note I wish ISI would fleshout the single player component more. Maybe adding career or even just championship seasons. Racing with the AI is pretty enjoyable for the most part (except for mentioned above) and fleshed out modifiable season or career with mixed class racing would be perfection. Don't have enough time of the day to schedule or play online racing.
    Would ISI plan something like this in the future?

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We've been looking at a single player championship component, but it wouldn't be within the rf2 executable.

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Slipstreaming issues have been known for quite awhile, more variation in the talent files with higher aggression does help a bit but doesn't solve the "magnet" like problem totally.

my advice...don't touch ai mistakes, they are as the plr entry states "intentional" so the ai will randomly drive off the racing line into a wall...it looks stupid! As elsewhere my wish is for "natural" mistakes code, no idea when or even if that will happen though.

6. hamiltonfan2205

I'm talking about Formula ISI here, I do create new vehicle and talent files but that doesn't solve the problem.

7. hamiltonfan2205

On rfactor 1 they look pretty natural when I do that so in my opinion isi should make AI mistakes like it was in rf1

8. hamiltonfan2205

Just tried the rFactor 2 AI in Build 590 and I have to say there is a lot of improvements! The second thing I posted in the first post has been sorted. AI do bother ducking out of the slipstream and making a pass now. Not tested AI mistakes yet, I will sometime but I've heard apparently it is a lot more realistic. However the bug where they don't pit from damage is still there. Once that is sorted out, the AI would be perfect.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

What sort of damage? Missing wing or something smaller? I imagine there's a damage performance threshold?

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Would be nice to get an official definition of "intentional" and regardless whether it's working so we can make our adjustments (or not).

11. hamiltonfan2205

Yeah it is missing front/rear wing

12. hamiltonfan2205

Just checked on build 660 and disappointed to see that this hasnt been sorted out yet. That's all I need then the AI will be pretty much perfect

13. mattlambertson

mattlambertson Registered

There are some really good AI tweaks I know but since no one will show me how to make mod packages that the game won't reject, I haven't moved on from rF1. Just stopping by to see if the DW12 is done yet and wishing that I wouldn't be locked out of the $50 rF2 game I bought due to unfathomable decisions from the developers to make it LESS tweakable than rF1 when I thought the tweakability of rFactor was the whole point of it. /rant

14. hamiltonfan2205

1. They haven't reduced the ability to mod in rfactor 2
    2. How is most of that post relevant to this thread. I know the beginning is relevant but how is the rest?

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

give it time, the 590 build did state it was a "small" change, either way the AI do sometimes understand Slipstreaming so it's not as if they are completey dumbfounded by it! AI improvements have been coming since the first build and will continue to do so.

16. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

The AI today is MUCH better than it was 6 months ago! Try the Kart mod - had a very satisfying race with it last night. Didn't win, but that was my own fault - nothing to do with the AI :)

17. mattlambertson

mattlambertson Registered

1) Yes they most certainly have. In rF1 I could tweak an AIW file in 5 seconds and load the game and viola, modded. In rF2 it rejects the track for the checksum not matching the original mod and I have NO idea how to get around this. When a computer programmer by trade who has spent 10 years modding various games cannot figure out how to mod your darn game, I think you have a problem.

2) I wanted to give the OP some advice but to do I would have to play around with the settings a little and I can't because rF2 won't let me tweak. I fully admit that my whinging is mostly irrelevant though. Maybe I'm just hoping my whinging will inspire someone to show me how to get the mod checksum thingie to work, since I tried asking nicely a while back and no one cared.

18. hamiltonfan2205

I know how u feel m8. R u trying to tweak an ISI mod? Cos I did some conversions from rfactor to rfactor 2 and they worked fine, the game didn't reject them. It may be that ISI have programmed it this way so if u try to mod the aiw of an isi track, it breaks it. Anyway i dont c any reason why u shld have to tweak the AIW for an ISI track, the AI on those is absolutely perfect.