REPLACED rF2 Build 494 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 26, 2014.

1. TVR_Guy

TVR_Guy Registered

What I believe I am hearing is that you have developed a 32 bit race simulator that if you max all the settings, I won't run. When I get the memory message, the program freezes (it's not a "your getting close" notification). For years I was a big fan of MS Flight Simulator. I could always upgrade hardware to keep up with the challenges of maximizing the graphics. It doesn't seem that I have this option in this case. You should tone it down if this is the case and not frustrate users with what options to degrade.

PS: How do you access the trace option, not that I'm all that happy to having to use it.

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

You did? Please enlighten me.
    I have an i7 and still, I cross my fingers when I fire up FSX, while I run RF2 with no problems at all.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You're right, it would be much better from a development standpoint to not give people any options and force them to either run more graphics -or- more AI, rather than making a choice. But unfortunately we didn't do that and have given people the option to use the software how they want to. This would be the same reason why most console titles have low AI opponent numbers (along with the fact that their AI usually can't cope in greater numbers and would run into each other too much), and why some new PC titles with 32bit executables will be limiting you to 12-20 AI.

You could update to use FSX as long as it stayed within the limitations of a 32bit executable. If it stepped outside of those, you'd be in the same situation. I don't understand the comparison. But I am seeing you say that we should tone it down. Well, if you've just got a message that you're running out of memory, why don't YOU try turning things down? A couple less AI or an adjustment in a barely noticable setting might be all you need. It's actually easier and quicker to do this than to use the forum software and discuss it.

I guess I just don't agree that we should force everyone to degrade graphical quality based on the fact that someone else might want to run more AI. It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me.

Advanced tab.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

I believe I have a correctly calibrated monitor (IPS, which is known for its good colors) and I can see none of those things on it. I also have cheap secondary LCD monitor where I see the oily look, especially on the final screenshot. I think I made this disappear on one of my other monitors by calibrating gamma to the standard value of 2.2, can be done on a page like this.

5. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

It's true. It's because of bad calibration. I can't see the "oily" look in your screenshots... But I used to have it myself. I have a benq monitor that is known for it's bad colours. I found an ICC profile for my monitor at tftcentral and it's much better now. But it's a TFT monitor, so brightness and colours look wierd from some angles. When looking at the screen from above, I can still see the "oil effect" in dark areas.

But it's only with RF2 and HDR on... So there's definitely something strange going on. With a proper calibrated screen, the dark just "hide" the oil effect.

6. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

It is not a big deal for me but since build493 or 494 (not really sure) I have it too.

7. ElPronto

ElPronto Registered

Its a bicycle most of the time. Balance is on the edge.

Paul

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Not going to wade through 44 pages...

But, just an observation. The forum header still says latest build is 382. :)

9. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

Just encountered a crash issue. Game was working fine. Did some video recording. Exited client, kept launcher open. Did my editing and started upload to youtube. Try to start game, client stops responding at blackscreen. Force close client and close launcher, restart launcher, launch game, blackscreen freeze again. I'm thinking a system restart is going to fix it, but weird that I'm having this issue.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I meant tyre grip affecting the flipping. Not the initial point where it gains air but afterwards, looks like something is accelerating the car from underneath sometimes and that magic force wants to make the car tilt over (and possibly complete the roll over) more than the first force of the initial lift from hitting the curbing. Like some sort of gust of wind. I was saying that maybe a mass, weight, inertia, gravity, or tyre grip issue might be whats causing that.

If that weird phenomenon disappears once the tyre physics get further updated as you mentioned then we'll know that that was the problem. I was just giving some ideas of what the problem could possibly, but not definitely, be. I am fully aware of the tyre physics still being worked on :) , and am very thankful for it.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You can get al those oily colours on any game. Like others said it might be showing up in RF2 due to your monitor. Especially if you have something with real crap contrast, black levels and shadows like those high-end BenQ and ASUS gaming monitors (eg. XL2411T, XL2420T, VG248QE).

I see some oily stuff and lots of ugly things that aren't supposed to be visible with my monitor (VG248QE). Certain areas are too bright and you see things that you arent supposed to see like those oily rainbow particles around smoke and light up objects in the dark/night time. Or like how the interior of the car at night time looks like a solid black painted section on your monitor, no detail, no shadows, nothing, just a solid black area on your monitor (actually it's more like grey, the monitor cant even do proper black, and that's at only 30% brightness). If you have gaming monitors they have freaking terrible image quality

Shadow detail and dark area looks are all hazy and greyish, pretty terrible.

12. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I also see those oily areas in screenshots that have been posted here. But when I'm driving everything is fine (at least anything oily doesn't catch my eye). I have pretty standard (cheap) HP monitor.

I have also noticed that the car selection screen is back to spinner after every launch. And after playing online. I hope this gets changed.

Also looking forward to next build :p

13. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Talking about things changing back, I guess it's known that the weather selection often resets when the track is changed? I run all sessions at "Partial Clouds" and changing track gives me often clear for all sessions.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

That's because weather is individual for each track, so changing to a different track will read that tracks weather file.

15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Ah... thanks, I didn't know this was a "feature". It would make a lot of sense if properly implemented but seems most track makers deliver their tracks with a standard "all sunny" weekend...

16. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

yep that's the reason. Most time I use real weather tool from gerald you can find it here in the forum.
    It's a really usefull and nice tool and you can set the time duration and date values for your practice/qualy/race sessions too.

17. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Spinelli I got those same monitors yesterday and whilst I would agree the default profiles are really bad for brightness with colour I was quite impressed by the black, I guess it depends what you have come from. Have you tried a different icc profile like the one on blur busters?

18. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Does it make sense to also set time of day (for practice, qualification and race) track dependent like weather is?

E.g. I like to race at dawn time, but have to find the good clock to set for it for each track. E.g. at 6am it could be night somewhere, and day elsewhere, etc. Having clock track dependant could avoid searching the Great HDR & Clouds Momentum each time ;)

19. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

No, monitors may display image incorrectly, but RGB values in screenshots don't lie :)

Image produced by rFactor2 has these issues. For me, this looks like you're loosing color precision between various stages of HDR.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I tried different icc profiles. Some made windows and desktop look better but then some games were really really screwed up. When I played Battlefield 3 with some nice icc profiles I could not see anything in the dsrk, literally like the screen was painted black, no shadow detail, no different shades of black (I guess technically that would be super dark grey shades, not black, but you know what I mean), nothing. Tried like 6 different profiles and some would be good in some games, some bad in others, then I just said screw it and went back to default.

Having said that they are still amazing monitors and I wouldn't trade em for any other monitor that doesnt at least equal it in the following specs. Up to 144 Hz, 3D capable (nvidia 3d vision 2 or whatever it's called), 2D lightboost, some of the lowest input lag around, 1ms refresh rate (this is not only important in the traditional sense but makes a difference to 3D and 2D Lightboost as well).