REPLACED rF2 Build 494 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 26, 2014.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah, this is quite often seen, more likely on a badly calibrated monitor though. I hardly ever see it since correcting that. In fact it's been quite a long time since I noticed it.

2. 88mphTim

Use the new trace to confirm that. I'd doubt anyone has "plenty", regardless of their system. :)

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I have a feeling the civic rollover thing isn't just down to suspension....

Whenever I see the car flip, or get high on two wheels as if it's going to flip (or maybe not flip), it almost looks like the car has no weight (or mass?).

When a real-life car gets on 2 wheels you can really see the weight of the car decelerate the rate at which it gets higher and higher on 2 wheels, you can really see the gravity want to slow this process down and push the high side of the car back down towards the ground. However in RF2 it looks like there isnt enough force wanting to push the upper 2 tyres and that side's weight of the car back onto the ground. It looks like the car literally weighs as much as a peice of cardboard, or maybe the total weight is fine but as if almost all of the physical car's mass has been shifted towards the side of the car that's tyres are still on the ground. As if it's weight distribution is, let's say, 90% left 10% right (in this case the left side is the side still on the ground, right side in the air).

Or maybe it's not a weight/mass or weight/mass distribution problem, but rather a problem with the inertia, or maybe the gravity itself? Because sometimes the force/rate at which the lifting side lifts up, looks like it increases, as if the force lifting the high side accelerates and maturally wants to flip the car, rather than the pure weight or gravity wanting to slow the lifting down and wanting to push the car back down to Earth.

You can also see when it's right near that edge of wanting to completely flip, or be saved, that the rotation direction (flip or not flip) can change way too quickly, as if there is too low of friction with the side of the car's tyres that are still touching the ground (or again, as if the car lost all it's total wight and wants to blow away/continue rotating/flipping like a peice of cardboard that has had a gust of wind hit against it). Maybe the tyre model needs to act like it's digging into the ground more?

So maybe there are issues regarding how the physics systems are handling one of, or a combination of, the following:

- total weight/mass,
    - weight/mass distribution
    - gravity,
    - inertia,
    -tyre friction against tarmac

Tim, I know the physics guys are educated & seasoned pros, and obviously extremely knowledgeable, but do you think you could forward them my post, just in case?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  4. 88mphTim

I didn't say it was. Whenever I see it do it, I think how similar it looks to the BTCC coverage.

We've already said that the tire model requires additional work on the contact patch, which I think could contribute to tire friction and loss of grip, yes.

5. johnsclander

johnsclander Registered

Really? I've been watching BTCC since 2009 and this behaviour looks strange to me. Even in Knockhill the cars dind't flip that much.

Based in my personal perception of course.

6. 88mphTim

Well no, they don't want to flip them and do everything not to. I've never failed to stop it flipping when trying when it was up on two wheels by either steering or throttling out of it. I'm pretty sure a professional racing driver has even more awareness than I do. :)

Please feel free to see the videos of the previous ten debates about this. :D

7. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Yes I know mate, 32bit can only use 4gb if available, what I meant was it's unlikely my other 12GB was getting used up by Visual Studio, it did not even have a project open in it. Plus I have read several people reporting this now through the course of the thread. It's nothing concrete I know, just seems odd.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

rF2 isn't reporting that your system is out of memory; it's reporting that it (rF2) is approaching 4GB. It doesn't matter how much RAM you have or what else is running.

9. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Yes that's correct. Well the simple point I'm making is that I have had this for first time with 494, loading the exact same tracks/mods as i did with 382, and so have several other people with 494, perhaps there is nothing in it I am just pointing out these facts.

10. argo0

argo0 Registered

Have managed to massively dial this particular effect out using the Windows 7 calibration tool. Good advice. Thanks again.

11. 88mphTim

Yes, but what if this build uses 1 byte more memory than a previous build, where that 1 byte puts you over? You're being told that you're getting close. It's that simple. I didn't mention VS.

12. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

After the update, whenever I've been online and change back to offline, the view of cars and tracks in the UI has been changed from "list" (which I prefer) to "spinner" (which takes an awfully long time to load).
    Any ideas?

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Strange... I can't reproduce this on 494. I prefer the list view too so I understand the frustration.

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I've had this in most builds, gave up on mentioning it :)

15. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Here also.
    On List View->close rf2->open rf2->hallucinogenic square party again......

16. ElPronto

ElPronto Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
  17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Weird, it's the first build where I've had this problem.

Offline; list view
    Close offline
    Open online; still list view
    Close online
    Open offline; spinner view

Dang...

18. The_Mark

The_Mark Registered

I was wondering the same thing, because using HDR gives me a similar effect; all dark/shadowy objects have an "oily" look. Have had this since day one of playing rFactor 2. I thought this was just a "normal" bug, something everybody had, but now you're saying you haven't noticed it for quite some time?

And how could this be down to a badly calibrated monitor? If someone takes a screenshot and you or someone else - having a correctly calibrated monitor - can see it as well, doesn't that rule out the monitor being a/the factor?

Here's my situation. HDR is enabled, profile on automation, track is Sebring (but the effect is present on all tracks, both custom and ISI made). Open the screenshots in a new tab to watch them in full 1920 x 1080 resolution.

1. 2 p.m. - The sun is shining directly on the steering wheel, with the sunlight coming from behind me. You can already see some of the effects on the dark sides left and right, inside the cockpit:

[​IMG]

2: 2 p.m. - Now I've turned around the car, with the sunlight coming from in front of me, casting an oily, gritty shadow over the steering wheel:

[​IMG]

3. 10 p.m. - Now the effect is not only present on the steering wheel and cockpit, but on the inside of the wheels as well:

[​IMG]

I have none of these issues with HDR disabled, but the overall graphical fidelity isn't half as good without it, so I always have it enabled. I really like using HDR and I'm liking the recent changes, but the "oily" look has been bugging me for quite some time.

19. Luiz De Boni

Luiz De Boni Registered

Unable to load a saved REAL ROAD in this building...anyone else?

20. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Yep... I use Wireshark all the time. I also use Fiddler and most of the sysinternals tools. They are all great tools.