Stutter problem what graphic settings?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by maciej, Feb 20, 2014.

1. maciej

maciej Registered

Hi guys .
    Well i start playing rfactor recently and i am experiencing some problems.
    First im using triple screen with gtx Titan and I5 2500 K processor 8GB memory. Im using Three Benq 120hz monitors but i set them up to 60hz because new nvidia drivers dont support 120 hz with the high resolution 5760x1080 .
    All the other games im playing rfactor ,asseto corsa ,gtr2 i have no problem only rfactor 2.
    When i have vsync off i have around 100 and more fps but im experiencing stutter that is making the game unplayable.
    When i put vsync on and i set for 60fps the stutter is gone however if the fps drops below 60 i have stutter again.
    I dont understand this why when i turn vsync off i get stutter( with other games i dont have that) and why when vsync on and my fps drops below 60 i get stutter?
    Can anybody explain to me what is the solution here and how i should set my graphics also should i set vsync in game settings or not?

2. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Reduce resolution so that you can get 120hz? Don't run with vsync you get input lag, you could try adaptive vsync. Check the cpu and gpu load to make sure there isn't some bottleneck going on. I would definitely opt for a resolution that I could run the monitors at 120hz, at a lower resolution you should be able to run most things at max and get higher than 120fps and therefore get no stutter.
    You could be getting stutter due to a bottleneck with memory or cpu, or you could be interpreting 60fps (which is too low for any simulation IMO) as stutter. When you turn a tight slow corner the background looks like a slide show scrolling across your 3 screens. That's not stutter, that's a limitation of running such low hz/fps.
    Could simply be a setting in your nv control panel as well (pre rendered frames springs to mind) check the thread from BartS about getting the best performance from Nvidia cards.
    Other games don't do as many calculations as this sim. You could be finding the limits of your cpu or memory. Hopefully you can find out by trying stuff from my ramblings here.

3. maciej

maciej Registered

Thx Murtaya.
    I will try to play with those settings when i have time.
    by saying bottlenecking memory you mean more ram or vram .Surely its not vram i have 6 gb.
    How do i check if my cpu bottleneck while playing ?

4. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

You can see cpu usage (cpu time) in game I think it's ctrl c by default. Yes I meant your system ram not your vram. If anything is the weak link it would be the cpu I would think. I would definitely run at a resolution that can be displayed at 120hz though 60hz isnt enough. My monitors only do 75hz and that isn't enough. Because motion blur is disabled with 3 screens you get that background slideshow effect that I mentioned earlier when turning a tight bend. You might be thinking that is stutter / judder because it is more noticeable on tight corners than fast corners, so you only see it sometimes and some tracks are worse than others depending on how tight the corners are and how detailed or distant the background is.

5. maciej

maciej Registered

I noticed when press ctr-f the upper bar is half green but the lower bar black one blinks in red from time to time.
    This happen also on single screen 1920x 1080 resolution.
    I dont know what that means i emailed rfactor support and they told me could be cpu or graphics. They also told me that rfactor2 is is using 32bit program and no more than 4gb of Ram . I already look into adding another 8gb of ram but now i dont know if this make sense.
    Also kind of confused about cpu i read alot that there is no way i5 2500k could bottleneck but then not sureif i use triple screen if that could be the case

6. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

If you are having no problems with anything else perhaps you should try a fresh install of rf2 just in case there is something causing a problem? It does seem like your hardware should run it all no problem. Do you have any plugins installed? Any background programs? I didn't say it was bottlenecking just that you could check that, and the weakest part of your hardware is the cpu. Not that it is weak, just if you were going to upgrade anything that is where I would start.

7. maciej

maciej Registered

No no plugins and i actually just did fresh windows install.
    Gonna do some testing this weekand and lets see how it goes . I would like to check that cpu how it works during the game .
    If anything i will consider switching to I 7 3770k just want to make sure that it is going to fix my problem so i dont blow the money for nothing.
    Thx Murtaya

8. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Before ypu start buying new hardware I recommend to identify the bottleneck by logging your CPU, GPU and memory usage. For this purpose you can use windows performance monitor or other tools available for free.

Sent with Tapatalk

9. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Yeah it could just as easily be a motherboard, driver, bios, memory speed, or other issue as your hardware needing upgrading. Identifying exactly what is doing it could be difficult, interpreting the results can be difficult. Good luck.
    Lots to check, for example, with the original bios on my Evga 780ti it wouldn't always go to full boost clock when running a game, just stay at 300mhz as though idle.

10. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I don't think an i5 2500k will bottleneck a Titan.