Trying hard to like it...

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Icarus, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Icarus

Icarus Registered

I've tried a few demo builds, I even bought the game but returned it. I keep trying to like it because apart from the fact I love version 1, there are so many posts saying how good it is.

I finally have the graphics sorted, I still don't think they're good, but I can max it with good FPS. But there are a few things that need fixing, no raindrops on the windscreen, yet rainfall in the cockpit, and smoke comes through the car.

Now for the feel. For me it is the worst of all the "sims". Assetto Corsa is by far the best, the first sim for me that feels like real life, iRacing has great FFB but doesn't feel connected to the road, rf1, Race 07 and GTR2 are all good but not great.

RF2 has bad FFB and I have no feel that the tyres are connected to the road.

What solutions are there that I can try in the demo?

Thrustmaster F430 wheel.

2. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

I would like to try Asseto Corsa too, since i´m keeping hearing on this forum that it is the most realistic pc racing game (or simulator, cant remember).
    Anyone knows where i find a cracked version or could borrow me one steam account to test it?
    Because, if i had to buy Assetto Corsa to test, i prefer to put this money on rf2 developers hand so they could improve more the game i already buy it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
  3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Your statement kind of contradicts itself there, no?

Anyway, I'm not really sure what you're asking to be honest.

4. smithaz

smithaz Registered

I am surprised at your impression of rF2 Icarus, I get the opposite impression. For me rF2 has the best FFB and has the best feel, iRacing is a good sim too and feels in many ways similar to rF2. Is the demo still using the C6R, if so then I can understand that it is a big learning curve, I didn't feel very connected when it was first release but after time and practice and learning its individual driving style I now think it feels very good. I think all "feel" in a game comes from time and experience with the game and its physics engine, you need to get used to a game in order to develop a "feel" for it.

@Jerry Take it from me, AC is far from the greatest, most realistic racing game known to man. I have spent about 5 hours on it and it reminds me of what you said on another thread, you have to re-learn to keep your foot down when you don't think you should be able to. There is none of that balancing the rear on the throttle during corners like there is in rF2 and there is no such thing as turn in oversteer, this is not to say that there's no oversteer whatsoever, just when it comes it is like an on/off switch. In my experience of AC, everything is limited by understeer rather than balancing the oversteer as is the case in rF2. That is my take on it, although a vocal bunch of AC'ers see it differently, never going into detail of course. I'll re-visit it when multiplayer comes out and see how the racing is.

5. Icarus

Icarus Registered

1.I mean I can feel all the bumps and the weight is like a real car but I can't tell when the car is losing grip or the brakes lock up. I think it's the physics rather than the FFB. 2. I did write at the end "What solutions are there that I can try in the demo?" Maybe a realfeel plugin, or graphics fixes.

6. Jamie Shorting

There is no real feel plugin.

Is your wheel setup correctly? Is it linear? What is your FFB mult. set at? Have you tried adjusting it?

Other than that man, I'm out of help. :p

7. smithaz

smithaz Registered

I would recommend ABS on low to begin with until you get used to it more, it still allows lockups but gives a lot more margin for error. Braking/tyre feedback is given a lot through the sound, you could try turning tyre sounds up to 120% perhaps. I think any other issues with feel are just down to not being used to the physics, I'd recommend more time to practice, I feel that rF2 is very hard at first but feels very good and is very rewarding when your used to it. Online races are the best.

8. Icarus

Icarus Registered

Well the funny thing is, RF2 is one of the easiest to drive "out of the box". It's just not giving me much feeling. I already tried what you said and turned all the sounds up, but I want to feel it through the wheel, I guess I'll just have to wait for a realfeal plugin.

9. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Well it is kinda tough, many here say me included that Rf2 has the best FFB in class, I feel connected to the car and track like no other sim. This is not denying your feeling or saying you are wrong at all, what you feel is what you feel. The FFB is fed directly from the physics, there are no canned FX. So that leaves your wheel, and how you have it set up, there is a plugin to test clipping you'll find that here http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7546-rF2-Pedal-Overlay-Plugin?p=98854&viewfull=1#post98854

If it is clipping your loosing some fine detail. Maybe that is the issue...Post up the details of your wheel, drivers and firmware and then folk with the same kit can maybe help you more.

10. Jamie Shorting

There won't be one since there is no need for one. ;)

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If you cannot afford something, you have no right to steal it. That is, unfortunately, your last chance gone poof.

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

In my modest opinion AC has a terrible feeling. I paid the early access and after trying it the first time, it was so odd that I haven't touched it back again. This only happened to me when I tried the demo version of Sega rally for PS3. I took three turns and uninstalled it immediately. I'll give it another chance some time but I don't think I will change my mind.

enviado mediante tapatalk

13. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

AC does feel very numb, I don't like it currently. But I cannot give my final judgement until I can try VINTAGE car on PUBLIC ROAD which is ultimate test with ANY car simulator.

14. Icarus

Icarus Registered

You just described my experience with RF2. I hope we both find the fix we're looking for.

15. Jamie Shorting

post a screen shot of your ingame wheel and ffb settings. Maybe your wheel isn't set properly.

16. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

T500RS here and ffb more than perfect, I can feel everything, tires losing grip, brakes, individual flat spot on one tire, all subtle differences in track surface (ahhhh the paint of each starting spot at Silverstone!), each gravel and mosquito scratching on a tire (well, perhaps not all gravel ;) ) so I'm pretty sure you have some configuration problem Icarus. Don't expect some pluggin to fix this as it seems we are mainly really satisfied with rF2 FFB so far and I'm pretty sure the problem don't come from it.

Tell us more and probably somebody with similar configuration can help you to set all that correctly.

17. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Is this an rF2 vs AC vs etc?

For me rF2 owns all in overall package, best FFB by far, real road, weather, 24 hs cycle, others: in graphics pCars owns all, and AC is the most similar thing to Gran Turismo i try in PC, wich is a good thing, about FFB, iracing, pCars and AC all of them are pretty similar to GTR2 to me, dont ask me why i feel that, just rf2 is different from the rest, for me is unique.
    Those are MY feelings and my likes.
    BTW i5, gtx 650 tii, SSD, led 32, DFGT here.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
  18. Jamie Shorting

I asked him twice to show his wheel and ffb settings, he seemed to have conveniently ignored the request. ;)

19. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Exaggerated yaw set to 25 probably.

20. Icarus

Icarus Registered

Hi lads here's a screen of my setting, hopefully there's something in there you can help me with. I have bought the game now so I hope it gets better.:rolleyes:

[​IMG]