Sound is Terrible

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thingriz, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Thingriz

Thingriz Registered

Don't know what happened between my rig and rFactor but the sound crackles when I move the move in menu. and the sound crackles in car. Well then I guess it crackles all the time. I'm sure that it didn't sound this way last time I played a few months ago. Anyone else have this particular glitch?

Also noticed that not all of the cars are left hand drive. As I remember in rFactor 1 you had a choice in all the isi cars to choose which side you liked.

2. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

Me to. same problem. In menu and on track (engine sound, tire on curb sound, tire on grass/gravel)

3. TMoney

TMoney Registered

Are you guys using 5.1 surround? I think it's best to set windows audio to 2.1 or stereo for now since 5.1 doesn't seem to work correctly for everyone at this time.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I only get crackles with Windows on my laptop, when I can feel my hair standing up from static, assuming the same is happening with my laptop. Are your systems on the floor, or raised?

5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Do you guys have any audio apps running in the background? I.e. iTunes, Spotify, etc. I've had issues in the past where after some time, the audio of youtube videos or something starts to crackle quite a bit, but it goes away after closing down/restarting those apps and restarting the web browser. Don't know if it's related at all, just thought I'd share my own experience with audio crackling...in case it's at all helpful.

6. JGraf

JGraf Registered

the crackling noise has always been there for me, thought it was part of the sound samples.

try:
    in-game, settings, audio, "sound effects volume"
    this slider controls several things, one being mouse over sounds in the menus, another is garage chatter... increasing this setting does amplify the crackling noise.
    not sure what else is tied to the setting but 0% makes the crackling stop.

oh yeah, engine starter volume is tied to that slider also.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
  7. Thingriz

Thingriz Registered

System is on the floor for sure. It's huge. Play a lot of other sims this is the only one to do this. So annoying I can't play. I'm an audio snob I guess. Everything in my house is wired for sound, it's the old roadie in me. This was not alway's the case because I thought to myself a while ago that the sound was not bad.

I'm wondering if it has to do with the fact that I get an error message when I try to verify my files. (One or more critical simulation files failed verification.
    Support\382.uninstall failed verification.) I remember in rFactor 1 stuff would not install right but then you could play other things while you looked for the errors. It was a real PITA. Eventually if you installed enough crap you would have to do a clean install. I used to keep a clean install on a spare HD just to copy files for rFactor.

Just noticed it say's that I'm a newer member - that's rich. Nov 2010, is that when rFactor came out?

8. Thingriz

Thingriz Registered

Thanx TMoney u got it. I had it on 5.1 but am using headphones. Appreciate the help. and to all.

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I had this glitch one time after I had changed some audio settings on my audio interface (Edirol UA25) - I believe the buffer was set way too low (because I was recording vocals in Ableton), and it caused huge problems afterwards in rFactor. Crackling, nasty audio lag and the likes. I changed it back to the default settings and voila.

10. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

I use headphones in rfactor settings. Have try to reduce sound effects volume but the crackle remains constant, its only quieter.
    I have try to change the latency in asio control panel, 1ms-80ms but no effect in game. No audio apps in the background.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJp0Bhb7Fqk

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's not a crackle. That's samples being interrupted. I notice the same thing on kerbs, where the rumble sound stops and starts with an audible 'click' but it's quite rapid. Not sure what you mean when you say the engine, I haven't noticed the engine sound being messy.

But for sure what you're looking at is completely different to the OP, whose crackle is now fixed apparently.

12. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

The only bug I have is when watching another car via chase cam and it's leaving the track, or better say it drives over grass, the crowd sounds from the grandstands are instantly gone. Completely silent.
    You could call this a feature and say "Well, the crowd is holding its breath in anticipation of a crash because the car went off track", lol. :)

13. TechAde

TechAde Registered

That makes perfect sense as rF2 doesn't use ASIO.