rF2 performance "issues"..?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hexagramme, Feb 17, 2014.

1. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Hi all

As I love and respect this community a whole lot, I'd like to see if anyone has explanation for this "issue" I'm having.

Basically I'm wondering why I can "only" just manage to get 60 fps when racing offline with 29 opponents (I know 60 is not bad!)
    Most of the time it's 60 fps (a few laps into a race), but some of the time it's just below that (first laps of a race).
    In other cases it dips well below 60, all the way down to around 30 (rain+cars in front).

I'm affraid that I've maybe forgot about some settings I've made in the past (nVidia Inspector rF2 profile) or something else entirely, that would kind of "cap" the fps at 60, and never let it go above that.
    I followed a guide on this forum, which explained how to make a lot of settings changes in the Inspector. I'm not sure how to revert that, in case that is my problem.

I don't know if I'm just expecting too much from my system (see my system specs in "profile" -> "about me")??
    I don't if my ingame settings are just too demanding, and if so, what setting I could lower but at the same time keep a crisp look and gain more fps.

I just see that in iRacing I have 3-4 times the fps I have on rF2, and it just makes me wonder; Am I doing something wrong, or have I overestimated my PC?

I am in no way an expert on these matters, so any help would be appreciated.

2. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Vsync tends to cap the fps at 60, that's what mine does anyway

3. Tony

Tony Registered

Hi Hex, I don't know whether 60fps with 29 opponents is bad or not, but in your pc specs I see your cpu is an i5-4670K @ 3.40ghz

K denotes overclocking ability, & I would deffo overclock it up to 4.1 or 4.2ghz, then you'd see an improvement in frames

I've got an i5-2500K running @ 4.1ghz, together with an aftermarket cooling fan similar to the Dark 2 made by "bequiet!"

At these speeds you don't need to bother about water cooling, & I took my machine back to the small outfit that made it to have it clocked, as I've read up on how to do it yourself, but was put off by having to delve into the bios & also to get the voltage right etc.. :confused:

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Could very well be I changed the line you mention. I'll check that out when I get home. Thanks!

Yeah I've often wondered if I should overclock, but jeez louise... I find it so confusing and a bit scary actually, because I don't fully understand the whole process or the potential consequences.
    I'm affraid my system will break down if I make a mistake, and I can't afford that.

Would you say it'd be worth the effort to overclock my particular machine in regards to obtaining more performance on rF2?
    My GPU is not the limiting factor or what?

Thanks for the tip mate. I'll try and switch it off to see what it does to the fps.
    I've never fully understood what the different Sync options mean? What would be the best one to choose?

5. Balles

Balles Registered

I'm no expert but I think rF2 demands much more in CPU than iRacing. Real road, real time weather, physics ...

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah I think you're right mate. I guess it's a bad comparison, since not much is going on in iRacing physics wise compared to rF2. Didn't think of that.
    Actually now that I think about it, Assetto Corsa isn't able to go above 60 fps on my system. Hmm. And vSync is on there as well.

7. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

Not sure exactly why the sync options do, I think one uses the gpu to apply it, one uses the software, one something else!

I find video sync works best for me but I'd say it all depends on hardware

Other probably can give a better explanation!!

8. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

A max frame rate cap will not affect the issue he is having with the FPS dipping down to 30 FPS at times. The OP can reduce graphical settings, but even offline 29 cars is tough on the system. That's a lot of tires for the game engine to work out.

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I may be that I'm over estimating my system and 29 cars is just too big a demand? Rain seems to have a nasty effect on my fps too, but that's to be expected right?

I would love to try some simple overclocking to maybe squeeze a bit more performance out of my card.
    I found this tutorial on YouTube, for my exact card:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5TBTYwgaow

You guys think it would be wise of me to try this? Or is it too risky in regards to the life span of my 680?

10. Tony

Tony Registered

your gpu is strong, don't under-estimate it

I would think if there is a bottleneck, it will be the processor - which you can fix..

rF2 has more going on under the hood than other sims that don't have features like real road etc.. so it is more demanding on the cpu

Have you got a mate who's handy at stuff like that? Or a local techie shop that could clock it?

Edit - just seen your own post above.. I think my card: GTX760 is "about" the same power/speed as yours

I'll try an experiment and run 29 oppo - in the rain even.. & I'll tell you my fps (which car/track combo though - as the Civic is more fps greedy than the Nissans' etc..?)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
  11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Maybe there's a PC shop that could help me with it. I have to check that, it's a good idea.

But I don't get it; is overclocking a GPU enough, or does the CPU have to be overclocked as well for it to make any sense?
    I'm green at all this mind you, so I'm just firing off questions left and right here.;)

12. Tony

Tony Registered

Hah! I wrote/edited my reply as you were writing the above reply - it's just got to be the right balance, both have got to be near optimum - see my edit, as if I get better frames it kind of suggests it is your processor that needs a "tweak"

And if I don't, then ISI need to optimise their tracks more for us - like they've just done with Silverstone:D

13. baked bean

baked bean Registered

If you have not done this already in nvidia control panel, set physx configuration, then set it to CPU, by default its on auto select. This gives a little boost for me.

14. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

IMHO overclocking won't be worth it. you may squeeze out a few extra FPS but it will not be a dramatic increase. The trade off is decreased system stability and increased system heat. If you have never OC'ed before, that adds another complication. I'd rather have a rock solid system than have it crash in hour 3 of a 6 hour race.

15. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

His profile says: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz That's a fairly substantial CPU for sim racing. I don't see that upgrading that will gain him much. To what? Core i7? rF2 won't use the additional cores and the benefits of hyperthreading are debatable.

@hex: I see the same in iRacing as you. Framerates in the 300-400 range at times but I'm in the 100-150 range in rF2 (both with maybe 5 cars around me). iRacing is much easier on the system than rF2.

16. Tony

Tony Registered

No, I'm definitely not suggesting he upgrades it! It's a better processor than mine, I'm suggesting he overclocks it a bit, (it was manufactured as "unlocked" - hence the K)

I just did some tests with the open-top Lola at Estoril in the sun & then in very wet conditions with a visible field of 29 other cars; & I got about 40fps in the rain at the back of the field, & 85fps at the back of the grid in sunny conditions, rising to 85-110fps while racing.. till I crashed, as those cars in the dry are like driving in the wet for me :eek:

So I'm getting a wee bit more than you are Hex (but this is all very un-scientific as I don't know your ingame display settings.. it's just a rough guide)

17. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Oh, gotcha. Yeah...it's a K so it's a shame to run that at stock clock!

18. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Great Post ( fellas & gals )...

There are a lot of people that will read the above, and it was what they were missing.
    I just a couple of weeks ago, bought a new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 O.C with 4GB of ram.

I havn't had any chance at all to check the on track frames with others, But I did load all with max everything I could find.
    In the garage with the Skippy, it was steady at 179 fps, I know this is no test.

But I will tell you this..lol I have a ASUS CrossHair V Formula, and a AMD FX 8150 and with 32 GB"s of ram and the new Video card....

Does it ever snap Excel and our Billing software open in a hurry...lol

Dave

NRT

19. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

My experience is that OCing the CPU will get you very little gain. I went from 3.3 to 4.2. The GPU gets you big gain about proportional to the amount of OC. I used MSI Afterburner to OC my video card. It makes it very easy. Just bump up some sliders a little at a time and then take it for a spin. If no probs then bump them a little more and repeat until you see graphics glitches or the temp gets too high for your comfort zone. My card is made by MSI so I don't know if Afterburner works with other brands or not. My final freqs are in my profile.

P.S., I also used at video stress testing app called Kombuster to make sure the system was stable when run for a long time.
    P.P.S., I agree with the comment that 29 cars is a BIG math load for the CPU and GPU. My personal testing is done with 20 cars max.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
  20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

This might be a bit too techy and not make it much easier to understand, but here is what they do each. http://rfactor.net/web/docs/what-does-the-sync-option-do/