What becomes of rFactor2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kickbox, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Yes sorry about that, may have seemed that way but I actually didn't mean it to come across that way. :)

2. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Damn right. It's all about the race cars for me. Road cars on race circuits is Gran Turismo and Forza territory.

3. Maug

Maug Registered

Can you race your real street on Suzuka or Targa Florio anytime you want? What was the thread about btw?

4. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

So I take it no one wants to drive a 1926 Ford T-Bucket at 36kmh around Silverstone??? :p

5. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

More like 360kmh with correct gear ratios ;)

[​IMG]

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

:D There's nothing wrong with having road cars/anything else simulated, but it's confusing to see it touted as a racing sim. Then again, maybe I'm a bit weird. I guess "racing sim" is more marketable than "driving sim".

7. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

HAHAHA OMG! Can't wait to try that, though I'll skip on those colors. :p

8. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Yeah I don't really see headlines for "Big boys and their driving sims." :p I don't mind road cars in a race sim, I just hate it when people who have never driven the car tell you its wrong physics wise...That happens with race cars a lot too...

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Something to do with the sky falling. :p

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That sounds a lot like US politics. :) http://youtu.be/Vnp4kj5lLOU

/we should get back on topic now. :)

11. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

:p

[​IMG]

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

They're here because they want to drive rFactor 2, not others. There's a lot of bias and poor portrayal of suggestions here but I believe the main goal is for rF2 to offer good features all around that compete with any other title.

Except Reiza took a limited licensed engine and made it into the best feeling of racing around. Call it quality modding or not, they make awesome stock content. And with regards to "quality modding" I would love to see quality mods surface, MMG hasn't released anything proper yet and it's been quite a few years hasn't it? And for rFactor (1) the actual quality mod count is extremely brief. That encompasses proper driving modeling, sounds, and vehicle construction. CARTfactor and Enduracers after the very latest patch are two of those, for example.

Your argument about "their own game" is also extremely shallow. Do you know how many games use the Unreal engine as a base? Havok physics system? Are those thousands of titles not their own game with plenty of quality?

13. osella

osella Registered

Umm.. sorry for taking it so personal, I guess..

no hard feelings on both sides now :)

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Psst! this feature is not working properly as it chances back to Tiles all the time and/or removes allcarsandtracks as soon as you go online.

:p

15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Regards Road Cars...

A few of the upcoming or released tracks (Route 666, Crimson Road, Nordschleife Tourist) are more about the fun of wrestling a car around an interesting piece of tarmac than actual racing. For such tracks, one or two road cars will be fine - and I expect both the Panoz and Cobra to scratch that itch.

I wouldn't mind a Caterham or Lotus either (or an X-Bow) because a lot of the 3rd Party and ISI tracks we have a short circuits that feel more at home with a club/cup racer than a GT2 machine.

But 90% focus on racing cars and BIG racing tracks is perfect.

Regards content - seems to me ISI currently has the "historic" market cornered, and we'll keep seeing legendary cars. AC has a weak track selection but an even weaker historic car selection...

16. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

I don't know, our three rF2 mods that were released have been enjoyed quite a lot, especially the IFS2, I guess you didn't see those? Even the RACE07 mods that were released last year have been enjoyed by that community. So not having released anything for a few years is not exactly right there...

Again, taking an engine like Havok or Unreal and so on means nothing. You still have to go through the entire process to hard code your entire game. Those only provide a platform or libraries and infrastructures to begin building your game, they do not provide a ready made code for you to slap content in and release it like ISI's engine is capable of because it is a completely finished engine.

I am not disputing their quality, or their ability. You guys keep misunderstanding. What I am saying is that to class them at the same level or a higher level than ISI, SMS or Kunos is just wrong due to the nature of their development compared to the three mentioned. You say that they made it the best feeling of racing around. That is of course your opinion, others may think it is the worse feeling of racing around.

And yes I do know how many developers have used the Unreal engine and the Havok physics engine as well as how many have used PhysX engine and others. But again, your point is mute as those engines provide nothing more than the base structure to begin developing your own game with absolutely no finished code that would relate to your game such as the ISI engine which is 100% coded and ready for any licensed developer to take it and make something from it without having to touch it further.

To give you a better example. When you get the Unreal Engine SDK or Unity3D or any of these engines. You have an interface of which to build your game, some like Unity3D provide some pre-made controllers and scripts which are very basic and you can use in your game if you like. But the engine is strip bare aside from those things. You then have to begin programming the graphics side utilizing whatever compatibilities that engine provides, and if you want different, you have to program that yourself by having source code license to the engine and changing the engine source code. You have to program the entire physics of your game, the animations, every single aspect the game needs you have to program. The only benefit you have is that you don't have to start from scratch in developing the engine code yourself too, but in most cases, its better to just develop the engine code yourself. Those engines are also very highly tailored towards FPS and RPG/Adventure games so they have a number of pre-made scripts for those types of games. Get one of those to make a racing game and they are very primitive at best without doing major programming changes yourself.

Once you are done doing all the programming stuff you then start adding assets, optimizing, updating, fixing etc etc. So you see, comparing ISI's self made all code ready and ready to use engine with those base engines with nothing included whatsoever is like saying a blank text book is as good as a finished novel.

17. Emery

Emery Registered

Seems to work for me, but I haven't been spending much time online.

18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Just because ISI built the whole base that allows to "only" have to build all of the tracks, cars, sounds, and characters does not mean they can be disregarded. I see your argument but disagree with your stance. Reiza (as that Argentine studio) had to do their own graphical work for the UI and HUD, as well as utilize the driving engine to its max. So much so they added the realfeel plugin expertly tweaked and external shaders and more to add on to the base engine. And that's only what is out, who knows what is coming later to be added? With your argument you also completely exclude Simbin from the picture in the mid 2000s when it was arguable they were the bigger player in the sim industry.

With regards to MMG mods, I can't speak of Race 07 mod but I don't agree the rFactor 1 mods were anywhere near the highest echelon of mods. With regards to rFactor 2, I certainly hope you're far from considering the very early work as nearing completion. Outside of carshape and most of the liveries for them, it is in absolute primitive state which can be greatly clouded by folks just happy to see something out. This is not the place for detailed feedback but I would not count the F3 or classic cars as mods released.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2014
  19. David Wright

David Wright Registered

Simbin did quite a bit of work to the ISI engine. For example, RealTrack, rain, dazzling sun, animated driver arms, pitcrew and trackside personnel, and in-game save, and the netcode was Simbin's.

Sorry to drag things even further off topic.

20. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I'm right there with you.
    Of course I don't mind street cars in a racing simulation.

I appreciate it that rF2 and iRacing focus on professional racing letting us experience something more than just rushing into our cars and hoping for the best.