What becomes of rFactor2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kickbox, Feb 14, 2014.

1. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

What succinct summary of programming :)

I develop professional music software and our most recent update had a single, seemingly minor, bug fix in the change log, stopping a crash from occuring if a recording was more than 6 hours in length. We had quite a few complaints on our forums "Is that it? Where is feature XXX?" etc. What our users didn't realise though is that the bug was unfixable in the code's current state and we had to rewrite the entire audio engine from scratch, which took around 2 months.

So, while I too would love to see a perfect, 100% complete rF2 in the next build, I appreciate that seemingly simple bugs can take extraordinary amounts of man months to put right. As long as this wonderful works flawlessly eventually (whenever that is), I'll be very happy.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I agree, great post, but its also ignoring issues that people are dealing with on a daily basis.
    What I see allot is people not being able to discover just how great rf2 is because of the unfinished state of the sim.

Running a league used to be getting money for website servers and go recruit. these days you first gotta be an rf2 expert so you can coach drivers through the bugs and issues so that they reach that all important point of 'getting' what rf2 is about. Then they get hooked.
    So far I've seen too many people giving up before they reach that point, it just doesn't get magical soon enough. so they wait, and when they return they still don't feel the love but only see the issues are still there. There's just no smooth way onto the track and that's a damn shame because it does deserve it.

I fear its coming to a point where only those hardcore enough to push the issues aside remain dedicated to rf2. And whilst that sounds pretty epic it is not. we need a healthy userbase pushing everything. We need pickup racers, noobs, casual drivers and those curious enough to try. Not just people whom don't give up no matter what.

3. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

My wish for rf2 is that i can join a Server 24h/7d and i am not alone there...

4. samuelw

samuelw Registered

`I have gotten my money's worth with rF2 already. Since its release I have driven it daily and experienced satisfaction with every drive. Never tried iR but otherwise I greatly prefer rF2 physics to any other competitor. There is depth in rF2's physics I do not experience in other sims. Additionally rF2 offers a wider range of weather than most competitors. ISI swung for the fence and has already got the ball over in my opinion. I understand ISI has planned additional features and content, and I do want them, particularly historic open wheelers and tracks. However even if development stopped rF2 I would be happy with my purchase.

People are impatient and want more now. I do too. Really want the Eagle released. But ISI is a small company with other projects. I wonder if ISI's business plan, though it restricts the pace of rF2 development, might be responsible for the unfiltered, pure physics we are blessed with in rF2. I read a multitude of complaints about ice racing in rF2, but apparently that's the way I like it. ISI's business model has so far ignored the multitude of complainers and continued to provide the physics we rF2 fans love. Thank you ISI.
    Sam

5. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

Great points, I guess what it really comes down to is what is the goal of Rfactor2, what is the difference between the original Rfactor and RF2? Let me just throw up a hypothetical, you have the original Rfactor and all its great content, now you have the "new Rfactor2", but yet you really can't use the old content with it, without we'll saying updating it, so essentially your restarting over again, your not really adding on.
    So your here at this point and you want to get... where ?
    I'm not a modder, I have done some different paint schemes for some of the earlier Rfactor cars, but thats about it, and i was still learning Photoshop then as well, heck now I'm relearning Photoshops newer version again!
    I've used sims since Tim Wheatley, and that goes back a long ways. I ran GPL when everyone said it was too hard to drive. I stuck with it and ran in Mybroga league for quite awhile, great bunch of guys. So I don't quit on something because its hard to use, or not quite there yet.
    I use iRacing all the time, they got it down pretty well, great cars and framerates, granted not the greatest sounds, but the feel of the cars(don't have force feedback) seems about right, especially the Skippy, which is hands down my favorite car(BTW wheres the Trainer open wheeler Rfactor had?). The RF2 Skippy is pretty darn good, But I need to spend more time with it.
    So If iRacing is so good why am I here ? I like racing the AI, and RF2 is really good, almost as real as racing humans, but iRacing doesn't have AI, and never will probably.
    I really am hoping Rfactor2 gets there, I'm just not quite sure where that is though.

6. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Dont have the time (or particulartly wish) to commit to online racing at the moment so my wish is that us offline players get a Championship creator mode cos just having one off races against the AI is a bit tedious. It shouldn't be too hard for
    ISI to give us this, surely.
    Other than that rF2 is coming along nicely. Still along way too go though.....

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Absolutely true in a lot of cases, but I'm going to throw in one counterpoint anyway: some things that haven't yet been done (in rF2) are 99.99% simple additions. Many of them may be in areas that are going to be completely rewritten, and from an overall efficiency point of view I can understand it makes sense to put all your time into developing the new systems rather than wasting time on the old that's going to be replaced, but the lack of some of those simple additions have now affected us for 18+ months so waiting an extra build (month, maybe two) for the new system while having the benefit of some stop-gap measures in the meantime doesn't seem a bad option at all.

But still, you look at the wishlist section and most of those are pretty major changes being asked for. And no doubt many of the bugs that are present or crop up from build to build take a lot of time to track down and fix, probably requiring more than a simple 'fix'.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Don't include me in your rantings.

Self righteous drivel nothing more then to antagonize people, that is all I hear.

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Now now Durge

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Anyone has brought it has just as much right as him to express what he or she thinks anyway they like.

But see they are not making personal comments, they are talking about a product, he is personal, he is bagging people.

If they cross lines that is up to admin to lecture, not him.

stupid threads

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

edit: never mind

12. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

13. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Awesome thread. :rolleyes:

14. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Thanks +1
    I like the ISI style :)

15. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I love rf2 but development seems hellishly slow. From what I have gathered by using this forum it seems like there are at max three people working on this sim..... that is really sad. I wish isi would hire more people. I could be totally wrong but it kind of feels like ISI had such a success with rf1 that they are now sitting pretty and not too passionate about rf2's development.

16. stonec

stonec Registered

I think the 3 people estimate is pretty close to accurate, not including artists who work on content (cars, tracks), Luc and Tuttle, that is.

17. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

I never referred to you, I never even said your name, in fact, I never even thought of you when I wrote that. You that up yourself that you think when someone says something they automatically mean you?

That is exactly what I see of your post.

18. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Go on, guys...

19. samuelw

samuelw Registered

If ISI hired more to work on rF2, then ISI might be pressured to sell more copies of rF2 which might tempt ISI to dumb it down. I vote patience.

SW

20. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I normally don't reply to stupid threads like this but i do think it will be interesting to see where the creative types end up who built all the cool fantasy and long technical temporary tracks in rf1. Cool stuff still coming out for rf1 so maybe they'll stay there which would be fine with me too. Oh yeah and when historix 2.0 comes to rf2 that will be a major game changer.