[HELP] New GPU for rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Symbian, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Symbian

Symbian Registered

Hi guys,
    I´m asking for your help. My old GTX 460 (768mb) died during last weekend, so I have to buy new one. What card do you think will sit it my configuration?

CPU: i5-4430 3.0GHz (Hasswel)
    RAM: 1x8GB DDR3 1600MHz
    MB: MSI B85-G43
    Windows 7, x64
    (I´m using one 22´´ screen with 1920x1080 resolution)

Big question is - is better nVidia or AMD? I heard nVidia has gives better performance in rF2, or I´m wrong?

I have limited budged for this upgrade - about 150-160€. So I´m thinking about this one right now: http://www.gigastore.sk/geforce-gtx...-2gb-ddr5-dp-hdmi-dvi-active-overclock+98114/

If there is another AMD card able to provide comparable performance, you can recommend something in this price category. Thank you for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi Symbian,

I too understand Nvidia is the way to go, so that's a no-brainer ;)

My system is about the same as yours:
    i5 3570
    8 gb 1600 Mhz
    MSI something B75
    Windows 7 x64
    24" and 22" simultane@ 1980x1028

My card is a GTX 480 1,5Gb and I have to tell you; it runs perfect! It suits the configuration well and I can set everything to full, drawing around (depending track/car) 100 fps steady.
    Sure, shadows high is another thing as they are way to heavy, but I have them set at medium.

So, why not go for a 480 second hand? Don't cost to much (here around 80 to 100 euro in Holland) and it's a nice fast thing.
    I think I saw once it has more than twice the speed of your old card.

3. Symbian

Symbian Registered

thanks, but I need to solve it as soon as possible (this week I mean), and there is no recent offer on second hand 480, so buy new one is better solution for me now :)
    But you confirmed nVidia is better for sure, and that is really important for me, thx ;)

4. Pepstain

Pepstain Registered

I've gone from a Radeon 7950 3Gb to a Geforce GTX 770 2Gb, in rFactor 2 I have almost doubled the frame rate. The difference between two video cards in Assetto Corsa is very low, then it is clear that in RF2 is mandatory to choose Nvidia.