Constant, maximum upload bandwidth being used with alternate skins

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Tarquin, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Tarquin

Tarquin Registered

I'm having an odd issue where if I use one of my alternate skin (as per the posted IS method), it seems like my game is constantly uploading something to the server all the time.

To such extent that it is using the maximum upload bandwidth across my ISP, and causing my Pings to go through the roof. From below 30ms to over 800ms and above 1000ms sometimes.

In game, next to my name is a small box that is changing from red to grey and back again - all the time.
    Other driver custom skins download OK, and I see those drivers with a green box.
    Those drivers see my name with a green box.

Even more confusing is that when I leave the server and exit all rfactor2 programs, the uploading continues even with no instance of rfactor2.exe running in my application list. The task manager resource monitor and my ISP bandwidth monitor both show an rfactor2.exe instance sending the maximum upload that my connection can send.

Most times it stops all by itself 5-10 minutes after I leave the server.

If I use a default skin, I never have this issue.

I have done several virus scans, an Spybot scans and no change.... Could it be a multiplayer.ini line of code I've adjusted in error?

Any ideas?

2. BB-Cat

BB-Cat Registered

I have the same problem here. A new installation brought no change. I can not find any solution.

3. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Just out of curiosity, what's your maximum upload speed?

I'm asking because with my DSL 3500 connection, it takes more than 7 minutes (under optimum conditions!) to upload a skin. They are quite huge, and you mentioned that the bandwidth usage stops after 5 to 10 minutes. I believe that's exactly how long it would take to upload your skin to the server.

Just food for thought...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
  4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Also system specs and connection information is needed. Wired or wireless?

5. Tarquin

Tarquin Registered

DSL2 Connection - wired. 5-7GB/s down & 256-500kB/s upload.

I can understand the time it would take for a ~5Mb+ skin to upload - and I can see this when other drivers skins are being downloaded to me (at a low & reasonable rate) - It does take some time, but I cannot understand why the program is using ALL of my upload bandwidth to upload 'something' - all of the time.

That 5-10 minutes is monitoring my network upload AFTER I have disconnected from the rF2 server and shut down the program.... It shouldn't be continuing to upload after I have shut down and disconnected from the servers?

Resource monitor was also showing 10-15 TCP connections to the server, to the same remote port, all with 700-1100ms latency - Does that seem right?

My System Specs - A bit old now, but still running rF2 fine with 40-70FPS on med-low settings
    Asus 1156 socket Mobo
    Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz
    4 Gb RAM
    GTX 275

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Targuin, is you rf2 userdata etc in Documents or in the root of rf2?

I've recently learned my custom skin problem (I download them but can't see them in-game) was probably because of using rf2 in Documents instead of Root.

I still have to test this as I have not yet had the time to re-install rf2 but I would not be surprised this is related to your problem. If something is 'off' with the custom skins system in your sim then you might see the sim and/or server constantly trying to add skins/fix the issue. which would result in more traffic back and forth.

Just a guess, but it could be worth checking.

7. Tarquin

Tarquin Registered

My rF2 files are in the Documents structure. I have my alt_skins in the folders created by the Tuning page when selecting an alt skin.

Not sure where my 'root' directory would be to try - My Program Files/rFactor2 directory only has 3 folders: "Installed; Manifests; & Updates"

I like your theory, and hope it's just a case of some file location changes/additions....

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

The main sim is installed in your program files or wherever you put it. then the data path will go into Documents or you set it to the sim itself:

C:\Users\Denstjiro\Documents\rFactor2
    or,
    C:\Program Files\rFactor2

The 2nd option is supposed to cure my skin-problem and might do the same for you.

In the launcher/advanced you can set/change the data path.
    Not tried that myself though, it should involve a complete copy/paste of the directory in Documents into Root (?) not sure if that's the way it works.

9. BB-Cat

BB-Cat Registered

The bandwith is 2000kb down and 380kb up, wired. The data path is in the game folder.

The rfactor.exe uses 13 connections to the game server when custom skin is used. Each connection uses a different port. Without custom skin there is only 2 connections to the game server. Netbalancer software was used for the display of connections.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014