Hakosuka mod nearly finnished but need some help

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Benjamin Exell, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Benjamin Exell

Benjamin Exell Registered

Hey guys I've been working on this mod for my final year project at university. I’m studying games art. Here's what I have so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So as you can see I've modelled, textured and got my car working in game. There are just a couple of small things I'm stuck with.
    Yesterday I tried for ages to get the brake lights and headlights working. I looked everywhere on how to do it. Here's what I have for that...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also the rear wheels on the players car are invisible but are fine on the AI cars. No idea what's happening there.

[​IMG]

And in the garage the car is much higher and the dashboard, seats etc aren't showing.

[​IMG]

I’m in no way a coder so I've just left the engine file default. If anyone wants to make one for the 1969–1972 Skyline GTR then that would be great.
    And I don't have any sound at the moment, I was just going to use the sounds for another mod as I won’t get marked on that. But again if anyone else wants to help then go for it :)
    I've already started work on the next car which is a 240Z.

Thanks

2. Radar

Radar Registered

It's a tad to glossy in my honest opinion, looks like all the sponsors decals were applyed and about 10 coats of clear paint applied to the car.

On another note, the models look awesome, and look like they will be a lot of fun to drive. Well done.

3. Benjamin Exell

Thankyou, Yeah I still need to adjust the alpha. They looked quite a lot different in the dev mode :p
    But that's an easy fix, still need help with the simulation as its just the default rtrainer code at the moment.

4. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Hello sound and physic guys! PLEASE HELP BENJAMIN !!!
    Wow looks great. Unfortunately I've not the skill to help you with sounds or physics.
    Hope someone can help you :)
    Looking forward to drive this car :)

5. Tommy78

Tommy78 Registered

Hi,

I make an engine for you if you need.

For the headlights, the gmt names are fix!
    So you need to rename the left lights (front and rear) to HLGLO_DS and the right side to HLGLO_PS
    The brake lights left is BLGLO_DS and the right BLGLO_PS.

6. bbel

bbel Registered

Hi,
    Did you try this for "car is much higher" ?
    In HDV file:

[GENERAL]
    "GraphicalOffset=(0.0, 0.02, 0.0) // does not affect physics!"

Change 0.02 value.

7. Benjamin Exell

Thanks guys

Still can't get the headlights or brakelights to work, get this error in devmode.. "Error loading mesh file HAKOSUKA_HLGLO_PS to memory"

I tried that graphical offset value which moved the position in game but not in the garage. Pretty sure its because my pivot point is wrong in max.
    I could try and fix this but I don't want to break anything at the moment. Its only an issue in the showroom not in game so ill fix that later if I have time.

Adjusted the alpha on my diffuse so the car isn't really shiny any more.
    And I've got engine sounds now, just used the sounds from the Mercedes SLS mod :p

And Tommy if you want to make a engine file for me then that would be great!
    My hand in is halfway though march and I've got another car to do. So as this is my first mod It wont have much polish by then.
    But I will eventually release it to you guys when its to a suitable standard :)

Another thing is my suspension file, when the wheels on a AI car leave the ground then land back it rebounds like the car has lowrider suspension and sometimes does a flip which is pretty comical but not realistic.
    If anyone knows what values to change for that then please let me know. Thanks again

8. Tommy78

Tommy78 Registered

All right, i try to make an engine at this weekend, but a question? Which engine spec you need to your mod? The serial 160bhp and 180Nm S20 Engine?

And your headlights again, the problem with the name of the mesh. Leave the first tag, so the name just HLGLO_DS and HLGLO_PS not HAKOSUKA_HLGLO_DS and HAKOSUKA_HLGLO_PS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
  9. Benjamin Exell

Yeah the "2.0 L DOHC S20 I6 producing 160 hp (120 kW) at 7000 rpm and 177 N·m (131 ft·lbf) of torque at 5600 rpm." Got that from wikipedia :)
    Thank you very much! Will try the brake lights again soon.

Small Update -
    I've fixed all my naming conventions so they aren't all "test_car"
    I've fixed the showroom car height and all the mesh's are visible in the showroom. - [​IMG]
    Only problem now is the cockpit in game is really low for the players car :S - [​IMG]
    I knew this would break something haha, help please

10. Maug

Maug Registered

Good luck with it. The 2000 GT-R is really a car i'd be happy to drive in rFactor 2. It would be great to have the race version of the S20 as an upgrade aswell. This is the only data i found about it though:

S20 (6-cyl. in line, DOHC), 1,989cc
    EngineFuel system
    Lucas fuel injection
    EngineMax. power: 184kW (250PS)/8,400rpm
    EngineMax. torque: 211Nm (21.5kgm)/6,800rpm

11. Benjamin Exell

Thanks maug, yeah id be happy to have a engine upgrade too. Wont look into that just yet. Need to iron out these issues first :)

I've got the brake lights working! :D Thanks Tommy, you were spot on with what was wrong.
    Now I just need to get the cockpits position fixed. I know a way round it which is what I had done before and that's just making the car higher in max with the same pivot point.
    If anyone knows a better solution I would really appreciate it.

12. Tommy78

Tommy78 Registered

All pivot must be in the max are 0,0,0, except the wheels, tires, brake disc.
    And another important thing, (I think that's why your car in the showroom too high) the car bottom is on the 0 Z axis, not the wheel bottom!

And one thing, maybe better if the car get the race engine, not the road, because wi will racing with it, and 160bhp not too much in the game:)

13. Emil Zhelyazkov

Emil Zhelyazkov Registered

Hi I think that is good idea to have both engines 160hp and race version ...morehp.
    Will be fun to drive Low power car too like historix lotus cortina which is my favorite.
    Low power cars = fantastic close races.
    And is Hard to be really Quick with them.

Sent from my GT-I9300

14. Benjamin Exell

You were spot on again tommy :)
    That's everything fixed now, will compile it and do some testing on some tracks.

Oh and thought Id say I haven't made any LOD's so for some computers it might be a bit demanding to have a lot of these cars on the grid.

Make as many engines as you want tom haha I don't want you to be doing too much work for me :p
    you've been a great help

15. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Looking great :)

I really enjoyed historic Touring Cars in rF1, can't wait to drive some in rF2. Howstons are good but they are very, very powerful. I rather like lower powered cars, they provide much closer racing. Hope you can find someone to help you with physics and sounds. LODs would be a good thing though, if you get the chance to do some.. don't have to be in the initial release, but i think alot of people would appreciate if you included proper LODs so it can be enjoyed by as much people as possible.

16. Maug

Maug Registered

A question. Will this car run on modern tires or historic tires? (Both? :D) It's an old 2000 GT-R but has Bride seats etc so i'm wondering.

17. Benjamin Exell

As I said previously Im not very good with all the coding and what not.
    So I've left the tyre's default I guess. Haven't used the tyre tool or anything. Mainly because I don't know how :p

18. Benjamin Exell

Errm slight problem. Dev mode now crashes to desktop when it loads the race. It wasn't doing this the other day and I've even tried with the default rtrainer car. I am completely stuck now and the only thing that I think might fix it is to reinstall reactor :/

Here's the trace file txt. I dont know which bit of it causes it to crash. Please help!

https://mega.co.nz/#!Zt50TI7R!fymnMwOvCvJdCIMb_VNSPEyh4MfeD2s9WmlhnAXg0JM

Edit: I've reinstalled the game but now I've run out of activations -_- Does this game hate me or something? lol
    Emailed renewals@rfactor.net and waiting for a response

Edit#2: Fixed it! Reinstalling rfactor worked, no idea what happened there. Sorry for all the pointless updates :p

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
  19. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Any news on this Benjamin? Looking forward to this alot :)

20. Benjamin Exell

Tommy has been ill the past few days so haven't received any files from him yet. Meanwhile I've been working on the second car which is a 240z. Just got the basic meshes and textures into devmode today :)
    Here's a WIP pic... http://i.imgur.com/8EY7CZ7.jpg

Don't get your hopes up too much as this is pretty much my first mod for any game apart from a tf2 melee weapon I made years ago haha
    My hand in is the 17th of March so I'll release this around Easter I think. But no promises yet :p