Real F1 2014 Season - Off Topic Discussion

Discussion in 'Real Racing Discussion' started by MikeeCZ, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

lol, says the guy which forum location says: Okinawa/Holland

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

touché [​IMG]

3. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Maybe someone will find this slightly off topic. The majority won´t, but whenever i hear touche this come to my mind:

4. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Yeah the car sounds are much less of a feature now but that allows for other sounds we aren't used to hearing. On Sky Sports they're doing alright, a few times they made a point of shutting up for some on board laps. It was really great to hear the cheer from the crowd so loud and clear when Ricciardo took provisional pole and again when Hamilton secured it.

Engine sounds are very tame compared to what we're used to. Someone locked up in I think FP3 and there was a massive tyre squeal, great to hear. Maybe wouldn't be able to hear that at all with older engine sounds. It's different and we lose the screaming of the old engines but i'm loving it so far, the engines are great in other aspects, they're excellent to watch the driver's fighting with, very twitchy in the dry, looks awesome and at least it increases the contribution of driver skill to overall performance of each car. The cars at the pinnacle of motorsport should be really demanding like this, can't wait to see some racing now. I wonder what the start will sound like!

5. Hectari

Hectari Registered

'to me that sounds horrible' lol:

6. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Hamilton pole lap, commentary by Webber:

7. bwana

bwana Registered

Was at Friday free practise and yes the sound has gone. As they aproach they sound like clothes dryers with a bad bearing but once past you hear the burble and rumble..Cool to watch the twitching rears as nearly all of them struggle getting the power down , especially noticeable at T7 in the Williams and Vettel also seemed to struggle on the same exit more than Ricciardo which was interesting

That of course was Alan Jones , and yes they would to someone who sat in front of the beasts of his era

8. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Didn't mean I don't agree with him, they do sound horrible lol

There are some upsides though, it's nice for a change for tv viewing at least. Will wait and see how I feel about a whole season of it after this race :)

9. costamesa

costamesa Registered

I dont like the sounds, I hate it actually. But I could be ok if cars sounded like it is at the limits of the engine. now they sound like engine is on idle mod which irritates me.

10. bwana

bwana Registered

Trackside they don't sound that bad just running less than 100 decibels compared to the 150 of previous cars

11. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

The sounds are not that bad when they are in high rpm, but they rarerly are to save fuel and also as they are still quite carefull

12. costamesa

costamesa Registered

If what I understood is right from what I have read here and there, they still wont need to up high revs to save fuel once they know the cars better because of the turbo engines. apperantly these engines produce the same amount of power at around 12000 rpm with what they produce at 15000 rpm. So....

13. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

didnt know that

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

3 seconds......they gave 3 seconds of non-chatter in the entire race over at bbc. glad I recorded it so I could fast forward the race.
    For me it feels like being detached from the race, might as well mute the whole thing and watch cars race around in silent.

I've just send a complaint to the queen of England. see how they like that.

15. TJones

TJones Registered

Wow, what an hugh ammount of infos from Mark. He would be a good commentator. :)

16. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Sky has this option to mute voices .

17. Hectari

Hectari Registered

On the main feed? If so how do you do it? I haven't a clue! I was using the on boards from the red button section that have on board sound only, but only in quali and practice. Coverage was great on sky so stuck to the main feed for the whole race. Loving all the sounds we get to hear now and i'm not missing the high intensity of the older engines, it's a lot more interesting on tv:

Team radio chat is so much clearer
    Tyres squealing under lock up
    I'm sure I heard tyres chirping under hard braking too
    Also convinced I heard one of the cars bottoming out at high speed (might have been Magnussen)
    Cheers from the crowd

Pitlane is amazingly quiet now:
    The whistle when a car enters pitlane
    Tyre noise when cars leave their pitbox
    Wheel guns were very clear during one pit, lets you hear how fast and in sync tyres are being changed

I really hope they exploit the newly available sounds as much as possible, now that they don't get drowned out by the engines.

Some great racing too, lots more side by side action and chances to overtake from drivers mistakes, fuel saving hopefully won't influence the racing much. They should do away with DRS it's not needed at all, artificial rubbish. Season should be good viewing but Merc are way ahead just now so I guess they're expected to run away with it.

18. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Ye the tyres squealing are awesome, also Button had a pitstop that took 2.8 seconds. To my knowledge, that is one of the fastest i have heard of, as last year very fast pit stop meant 3.5 seconds (if am not wrong)

Kimi seems to be really struggeling with the new braking system, as he was locking up basically every lap in multiple occasions, he even locked up slowing down into pitlane, and than first lap out of it. Now, whoever has tried ISIs FISI knows that even a small lockup means screwing the tyres so bad that it basically costs you couple laps of normal wear. (i know that this years tyre compounds are differend, but i dont suppose the tyre wear would be largerly reduced when the grip is largerly increased this year)

i saw Fernando also locking up quite often, but that was quite usual for him even last year when trail braking.

I really liked this race and admitibly, it wasnt packed with action and explosions, as many would like, but many interesting things happened and the results are very sattisfying, altho i do feel sorry for Riccardio, and also for Massa (It was now Kobayashis fault but i still wish Massa finished) Williamses are strong this year and even Bottas would be probably ahead of Alonso if he didnt hit the freaking wall in first part of the race. Well, hes a F1 newbie, he ll be alright later on.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

horrible horrible horrible, F1 has finally lost that spark which has been waning for years anyway. The cars are pig ugly, the sounds are absolutley shockingly bad and Bernie is still there ruining it all. I can now officially reveal to the world that I wont be bothering with this shambles of a car racing genre anymore, so long F1 :(

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

LOL! Yeah well, so long then.

I'm ecstatic after yesterday's race! F1 hasn't been this exciting since 2009 and I'm loving every second of it.

The cars just look awesome and they drive like beasts. SO much torque, I mean, getting freakin' wheelspin out of fourth gear?! Looks amazing.
    Finally these cars are challenging to drive, and it results in a spectacle not seen in many years. Magnussen getting completely sideways in Q3 at 250 kph..!

The sound of the engines is perfect imo. Raw, rumbling, dirty. Just perfect. And like others have said, crazy cool with all the other sounds that are suddenly audible.

This will be a season to remember I'm sure.
    I just don't get it: these past few "Vettel seasons" have been so static and down right boring compared to what we're about to witness.
    Yet so many people get their panties in a knot because of the new engine sounds and the new look of the cars. Doesn't seem to me that this has much to do with the quality of the racing.

But yeah, your loss. I can't wait 'till Malaysia! :cool: