Why do you play rFactor 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PET, Jan 23, 2014.

1. PET

PET Registered

Hello guys!

I'm PET a 27 years old gamer from Romania. Right now I'm working on a video about "Steering Wheels and Games To Play With Them" ... something like that anyway

Of course that I will have a segment on rFactor 2. I want to ask you, "Why do you play rFactor 2"? What made you pay the price... to race?

What other games do you play?
    What other racing sims do you play and why?
    Do you watch racing videos on YouTube? And here I mean video games racing.

Thank you for your time.

:cool:

2. spider

spider Registered

I am playing rFactor2 because of Xbox One.
    The Xbox one made me to change back to PC. I needed a racing game and so I bought rFactor2.

3. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

1- I play RF2 mainly cause i raced on RF1 for some years and the expectation on RF2 was huge. Also cause there isnt on the market anything similar with so much features.
    2- I play RF1 and RF2 nothing more.
    3- Dont play any apart ISI ones. Why? Cause i dont get the same immersion on any other apart all people saying WOW things about them.
    4- No, just some teasers.

4. cosimo

cosimo Registered

For many reasons, but essentially because rFactor2 is IMHO

1) the most accurate simulation available today.

2) It gives you total control, in a "spartan" way.

I think for me it clicked when I first found out f.ex. that I had to wait for the green light to exit pits and turn off the speed limiter myself. Very small details that tell you a lot about the sim philosophy.

From then on it's been an amazing ride with all sort of discoveries about car and tires setups, and I started to appreciate historical racing a lot more!

5. Comante

Comante Registered

Because it's an excellent challenge with yourself: taking a car, a track and try to make better lap after lap, it need concentration, precision, rhythm, and sensibility. It's like playing chess, but at 200 Km/h.

6. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

I play rF2 because sim racing is my hobby, and rF2 is the most advanced sim in terms of dynamics (state of the art tire model, RealRoad, 24h lighting cycle, dynamic weather, etc).

I am not interested in products which miss such dynamics features because imo the word "simulation" implies the attempt to reproduce the dynamics of real life and rF2, although incomplete, brings sim racing to the "next level".

I watch with pleasure videos having good editing.

7. rob1178

rob1178 Registered

I have always played f1 racing games all the way back to Nigel Mansells world champ on my Spectrum 48k. Got a bit fed up of playstation games with just the same set of cars, f1 games with one seasons worth of cars.

Then I found that rfactor had a huge modding community and all the cars I ever could wish for freely available, and got right into it.

I have used (or tried to) rf2 from the beginning because of the added features, enhancements to the simulator engine etc.

I only really do online racing (waiting for my league to make the swith to rf2) so video games don't cut it really for me

Tried other products, notably pcars , but it just didn't cut it for me in terms of immersion and challenge/reward

8. Axly

Axly Registered

Played a fantastic sim ages ago, that faded and I stopped playing racing sims for 8 years since nothing managed to catch me... In came rFactor 2, which after a small tryout made me buy it, buy a new computer, a new wheel, another new wheel, and made me build a complete rig. It is simply that good.
    What makes me stay, apart from the fantastic feeling and great force feedback, is that we can share it online in my league. On top of that comes mods, tracks and simply great content from ISI... Plus, it's dirt cheap compared to the other online enabled option.

9. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I'm more of a 'simmer' than a 'gamer' and PC is the only platform I use. I do also enjoy TES games and some RPG type shooters (Stalker, Fallout 3, etc.). But flight and race sims are what I get into the most. I started sim racing with F12000 back in 2000 and have found that ISI products suit me better than any of the the others on the market that I tried over the years. I've rarely had any trouble with any of their sims. They all have worked great, offer super nice physics that have improved with every new release they have done. I like the features they have and especially like the direction their lastest (rF2) is going. I find no need for anything else. My hardware works beautifully with it. It drives realistically, looks beautiful and runs smooth with very acceptable frame rates with my rather dated computer. Best $85.00 I have spent in a while, and it keeps getting better and better as new releases come. I'm sure I'll be enjoying it for years to come.

10. coops

coops Banned

I play rf2 because it has features no other sim has and there ahead of there competitors in this area. others I play KRP,AC, as they are in development just to see what's going on but RF2 im on 95% of the time.

11. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Registered

- I'm driving rF2 because it gives me the best overall racing experience atm and I especially like all the stuff concerning changing grip-levels, tire-management ect. which rF2 imo does the best job of simulating in a satisfying way :)

- When I'm not racing on my pc I'm playing some stuff on my WiiU, I usually like most of the typical Nintendo games.

- Other racing sims I play: Game Stock Car (2012 atm, will get 2013 at some point too), Assetto Corsa (not much yet), and until recently Race 07

- Sometimes I watch some user reviews and stuff on YT from sims I don't own, I also do upload videos myself, mostly hotlap-vids ;)

you're welcome ^^

12. PET

PET Registered

Thank You for your replays. What would you say are the best rFactor 2 features besides the good simulation?

13. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

real road, night day transition, dynamic weather, this forum, physics engine, ffb, the great plugins provided by the community, tyre wear, tracks and cars provided by ISI and the modder community and that's long not all ;)
    Also I like and the possibility to change or customize so many things.

14. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Because iRacing sucks...

15. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

+1 to that you read my mind ;)

16. Magzire

Magzire Registered

I play rfactor 2 so i can ram into people online

17. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Why do you play rFactor 2?
    rf2 is a sandbox to play in, I support the dev that gave me a place to play without threat of lawsuit for messing with car physics. As an added bonus, ISI is based in Michigan, boosts the state economy, some.
    What made you pay the price... to race?
    I looked at the longevity of RF and I determined I got my money's worth for it. Even for what the price of lifetime rf2 is it would have been a favorable cost to entertainment ratio.
    What other games do you play?
    ARMA2,Skyrim,Solforge,Borderlands...
    What other racing sims do you play and why?
    I buy other racing sims, but do not play them. Mostly the purchase is to throw some monetary compensation the dev's way so when the content is converted to rf or rf2 I legitimately have access to the content.
    Do you watch racing videos on YouTube? And here I mean video games racing.
    Mostly watch sim racing videos if I was in the race. I don't actively seek them out. I watched the video Tim tweeted, it was very nice.

18. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

Oh, I forgot to say;
    I do watch a lot of racing related videos on YouTube. Mostly real life historical stuff, some current too. Not very much sim racing stuff though.

19. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Actually, I don't know. Perhaps I should quit :p. Seriously, though, sim racing is an addiction for me which is not a healthy thing. I love anything tchnical and driving and sim racing are both technical. In the beginning, I just loved imagining that I was driving a fast car like a bat out of hell but the more I learned about the subtleties of driving and race the more I left console racers behind and focused on PC sims. I have played them all, but rF2 has made them all obsolete for me. Lately, I am trying to use rF2 as more of a complement to instead of a distraction from the test of my life. It can be very renewing as a meditational activity, like playing a musical instrument. I play classical guitar and playing rf2 gives me a similar feeling of focus, concentration, relaxation, control and renewal. I have to be careful, though, as Rf2 can certainly suck me into its world. There is just so much to learn and test and do. I have been consumed by a number of rf2 projects and as I type this I have just completing testing of a frankenstein mod. Don't even get me started on vehicle physics tweaking. I also have done a lot of work with data and there is just no end in sight of ideas and testing and curiosity that I have. So for a non-addictive personality rf2 is literalky a world of fun but some of us need therapy to keep its grip at bay :p

20. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Wow, my answer is going to be a bit different.

I play rFactor 2 because:

I am getting older (43) and my reflexes aren't what they used to be, and using rF2 to keep reflexes sharp. See next...

I ride a sportbike and ride that sportbike on real tracks for trackdays. My first trackday was Putnam Park, Indiana, and I started practicing a week before I went (I did over 500 laps!). I was THE fastest in my group. First time ever on a track :D Again, see next...

Whenever I ride my sportbike, I have to practice something a "normal" person doesn't need to do. I have Cystic Fibrosis. A normal person can take turns at speed, and hold their breath. Not me. I HAVE to practice to keep breathing and regulate both my heart rate and breathing, so that I can ride, or else I would be out of breath by lap 2. I practice my heart rate and breathing with rF2.

For those curious, it's a 2009 Triumph Daytona 675.