Performance Wiki

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Denstjiro, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
  2. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

One thing about the visible vehicles. The setting is just the number of cars that will show up in both mirrors and in front combined, so they pop in and out. The draw distance you mention is mostly at play when you choose auto-adjust fps, where cars start partially disappearing the farther they are from you to free up resources.
    Also, for me, mirrors have never had an impact. I know it's true for others, though.

Good stuff in there.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Thx, I've adjusted the comment on Vehicles and mirrors.

[fixed] auto-adjust, where does this hide itself? can't seem to find it. or is it a card-setting?

Found two others though:

[fixed] Auto Detail Framerate="0" // Details and visible vehicles will be automatically reduced (by up to half) if framerate is under this threshold (0 to disable)

[unknown] Render Once Per VSync="0" // Attempts to render once per vsync; 1 = use timer, no wait; 2 = use vblank, no wait; 3 = use vblank, wait

Anyone know if those work? (on/off)
    No idea what vblank means either :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
  4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

a few more which i'm unsure about but look to be able to effect things:

[unknown]Steady Framerate Thresh="0.00100" // Allowed threshold in seconds to try to 'catch up' when falling behind using Max Framerate (use 0 for original behavior). This helps steady the framerate but may introduce more latency.

[unknown]Synchronize Frame="1.00000" // Extrapolate graphics using estimated render time in attempt to more accurately synchronize physics with graphics, 0.0 (off) - 1.0 (full)

This one I set to 1 a while back, forgot why:
    [unknown] Compressed Textures="1"
    was it for replays?

[fixed] Record To Memory="0" // record replays to memory rather than disk (may possibly reduce stuttering, but at your own risk because memory usage will be significant for long races)

[fixed] Compress Replay="1" // whether to compress VCR file (uses less disk space but takes more time to write)

Any clarification on those?

5. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

This is what I was talking about. It adjusts many settings automatically to keep the frame rate close to the specified value. The biggest effect is the cars kinda ghosting and disappearing on the track, it's a bit weird but it allows higher settings in general.
    View attachment 11499

As for the last two settings, it seems they manage the way the replays are recorded. If it's just copied to RAM, it's quicker, but it fills up your RAM during the race, which can cause problems over time.
    Also, if the recorded data is compressed, it uses less space, but it might slow down your CPU as you're racing because of the added step of compressing the data. Weird settting, because replays don't take much space anyway.

Record To Memory="0" > Should be left like this if system memory is under 4 GB. If there's a lot of RAM, it could be set to 1, but I don't really see the benefit. I'm going to try it.

Compress Replay="1" > 0 would be uncompressed, so easier on the CPU, 4 would be the most intensive, I guess, because it would compress the data the most.

6. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Denstjiro wow ! Thank you for bring so much information to one point.
    Amazing I've read ours and I'm still not ready and now I have some ideas what I can do better or what settings influence tearing or stuttering or input lag.
    I know it is a performance wiki but maybe you want to extend it with a link to this thread?
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/12831-The-definitive-AI-Settings-Thread

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Alpha, I would love to but its kinda off topic. the main reason I did this article was because things are so scattered. adding AI info to performance info would make things spread out once again.

Imo that post by Mark is well enough for a separate wiki article, which then links to that thread as well for people to discuss and explore. i'll pm Mark about it.

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Lmao! I always thought that entry in the UI was the fps counter :)

So auto detail fps in UI is the same as the Auto Detail Framerate="0" in the ini file?

Ok cool, lemmi know how it pans out please, meanwhile I will just add it to the replay entry, even if we don't know the exact answers, people will still be aware of them and test it out.

I just copied your words right into the wiki, thx man :)

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Still 5 entries that are unknown or need clarification. I've tagged them in red.

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Erm, i'm guessing its gonna take a while since you are banned Realkman...lmao, what on earth....

11. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Perfect :)

12. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

A little help can be to turn off the rFactor Launcher while you driving rF2 (the Launcher is always open and cost a little cpu & RAM resources)--->the rFactor Launcher is open go to Advanced and click "Close this application after successful start of simulation", so you can save a bit resources.

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Thx Andreas, I've edited the Wireless entry to reflect this.

14. spider

spider Registered

FXAA is a postprocessing aliasing filter.
    FXAA applys a filter which suppresses aliasing after the frame is rendered.
    It usually needs less power than normal Anti-Aliasing but the filter reduces slightly the overall sharpness of the picture.

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Thx Spider :)

I'm not sure if I quote you people will know what to do with this though. so I would want to either inform them to use it, but....or not to, because...

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

FXAA is done.

17. spider

spider Registered

18. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Ok thx Spider, I've removed that quote.

19. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

Any ideas how to disable it permanently ?

20. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

No idea, if I recall correctly that quote came from Tim.

there's Mipmap LOD Bias="0.00000" in the .PLR file but i'm not sure of that value is default or was changed by me at some point.