Sam Maxwell Custom MOMO with Siminstruments Display Video

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by 1banger, Jan 18, 2014.

1. 1banger

1banger Registered

Sam Maxwell made this custom MOD27 D for me. Incorporating a Siminstruments display. All Carbon Fiber on front, back, and paddle shifters.
    Here's a short video of it in action. Thought you guys might enjoy it!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2014
  2. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

You need to bolt it down properly, it's all moving about. :rolleyes:

Nice rig is it SimX or homemade?

3. 1banger

1banger Registered

Good eye Murtaya! Currently mounted to the SimXperience wheel mount the comes in their Stage IV kit. It is not the most stable mount especially when I have the FFB on the
    T500rs turn up as far as it can go without clipping. I have another mount fabricated for the rig that is much more robust! Here is a picture of it with a CSW attached:

View attachment 11500

View attachment 11501

View attachment 11502

I am waiting for my Bodnar Simsteering unit to ship now. So it will be mounted to this very solid platform. Sold my CSW because of the weak motors always getting hot
    and loosing FFB intensity. The Bodnar will be the final solution!

4. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Fantastic wheel mount, exactly what I had envisioned for my next mod to my rig. Sorry to hear about the CSW I really had my heart set on one of those to replace my GT3 RS, there's nothing wrong with it I just wanted to be able to change rims.... do they all do it or did you just have a duffer? Obviously I want a bodnar too but I think I want those new asus 27" monitors with gsync when they come out a bit more. 3 bags of sand for a wheel, is just that one step too far for me currently!
    Hankering for sim vibe and some motion as well, only thing that puts me off is you are kind of limited to one seat position aren't you? I like to be sitting the same as the car you are trying to simulate, so your feet need to be up behind your wheel for an open wheeler, and in a totally different place for a GT, and different again for a Formula truck say. There seems to be no real provision for this with any motion rig that I have seen. Is that right? With something like Occulus and the future developments that will bring this is going to be more and more important to get the best immersion.

Lovely rig though mate, proper envious.

5. 1banger

1banger Registered

The CSW motors just could not keep up with the amount of FFB I wanted. There are rumors on the WEB that Fananctec has upgraded the motors on new bases,
    but nothing confirmed by Fanantec themselves so prob just rumors. I gave the CSW a chance, and it let me down not just with the FFB issue but also, I could never
    get the proper center feeling dialed in. I was always loose in the center. Felt like I was driving a car that needed new Front Tie Rod Links! I have had just about every
    wheel made over the course of my Sim Racing years, except the FREX. Even the fine ECCI 7000 had it's issues, mostly the size of it, but also I could not get rid of
    notchy feeling when FFB was dialed up in some Sims. There is a wheel coming out from SimXperience called the Accuforce. And so far it looks very promising.
    But once I saw it was using and AC motor instead of an industrial servo, I made the decision to go with the Bodnar, although I'm sure the Accuforce will be much more
    affordable. Just think the Bodnar will be the last FFB motor I will ever have to buy. Should last the rest of my life at least!

Sitting position in a full motion sim is limited in range. But once you have one and experience the immersion that is possible, this is a compromise that is easily forgotten.
    After all, I really don't know if any rig currently available that offers both a GT and a proper F1 sitting position at the same time. If you know of one, let me know.

I had the Rift for a while and used it with iRacing. It could not keep up with the head movement induced by a full motion rig enough to make it usable for me.
    I'm sure the commercial released one will address this. But also of concern is all the visual input I get from my peripherals, will I miss them too much when in
    the Rift World? Will we be able to import the visuals into the game enough to make it a moot point? I don't know, but I am excited to try and find out!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
  6. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Hi, no I don't know of a rig that can do all driving positions off the shelf, I have almost got it with my Fanatec cockpit by heavily modifying it. Heaven knows what they were thinking when they designed that rig, not one of the stock driving positions represented anything close to any real vehicle I have ever been in. They appear to have improved things with their v2 cockpit but not much. I had visions of buying a simX diy kit and a lot of aluminium profile, and trying to make something that you could have different driving positions, but they won't tell you anything (simX) don't even reply to an email. You would have to be able to move the actuators in relation to the seat I think, but its a big expensive gamble to try these things out. Maybe one day, I'm sure if I got a go in one I would be happy with the one driving position as you say.

As far as the rift, I see the future being there definitely, to see your controls would be a simple camera and green screen trick. So you can see your actual controls through an extra camera, a green sheet is placed behind the controls and all game video shows up on there, therefore your real controls will be overlaid on the sim video source. Take a bit of jiggling to get your brain believing it but not much.

Or at least that's how they used to do it 20 years ago when it was called gen-locking. Maybe things have moved on and you don't need the physical sheet, just apply some mask using software. But the principal is the same for adding real onto virtual images.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014