SteamOS and rFactor/rFactor2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KernigWRC, Jan 13, 2014.

1. KernigWRC

KernigWRC Registered

What are your thoughts about that?
    Dou jou think it's economic for you, ISI?

If you don' know exactly what it is, it is a new, free, upcoming OS optimised for games and it is open source, every developer can create additional packages for the OS, to optimise his software.

Maybe this is a good oppertunity to get better performance and a more user friendly application?

I don't know. I just want to start this topic because I am curious.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Is it open source for everyone or Steam only games?

Anyway, this would probably require a whole new game engine.

3. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

It is not that simple. rF2 is DirectX product and SteamOS does not support DX. You either stream it from your Windows PC to SteamOS platform, or use some sort of emulation. In both cases you either lose the usability or performance.

...unless rF2 switches into OpenGL, which is NOT going to happen.

4. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I'd play it on Linux, but not Steam OS. More Linux, less Valve.

As said above, DirectX is a way to keep a lot of stuff on Windows.

5. Jamie Shorting

This. I'm starting to dislike Valve.

6. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I know Valve/Steam is considered the boogie man by many in the sim community, but the best thing about Assetto Corsa is the implementation of Steamworks. Nice, elegant, and modern features. Also a DRM scheme that doesn't have any stupid activation limits. Kunos seems to be very happy with sales so far, so hopefully it exceeds their expectations and gets the other sim companies thinking about it.

I especially enjoyed the recent interview Marcos gave where he talked about learning who they need to listen to. About how they almost went bankrupt listening to the echo chamber and catering to their wants. Assetto Corsa sold more in the first 24 hours on sale than netkar did it it's entire first year of sales. I don't think it's empty talk, either, being as they've really been unveiling some new high profile licenses of late (money has to be coming from somewhere).

In short, ISI this is my pledge that there are a lot of sim racers out there who actually love Steam. You can listen to your forums and the small echo chamber of hate that's addressed Steam's way, but it's against your best interests. Because the silent majority doesn't feel this way. And it's a shame you're led down paths that aren't in your best interests as a result.

7. Jamie Shorting

Uhm, did you read the OP? You seemed to kind of go off on a tangent there. :p

8. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Not nice, not elegant because you have to start a separate program, DRM that limits your usage of the software, as opposed to an infinite number of activations that you never have to worry about. Hopefully, the other sim companies realize that Steam as an option doesn't mean you can't offer a better alternative to your customers. And that wouldn't diminish sales.
    ISI doesn't care about rF2 as much as you think. They do other things, and it looks almost like a side business. That would explain the slow progress on very visible stuff. Assetto Corsa is still not a game, by the way, there's still time for a lot of people to turn on Kunos for selling an unfinished shell with unfulfilled promises. Careful! Beware! Jau Jau!

9. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

I have to agree with you Paul. Steam does have some advantages. I remember back when, I was installing HL2 on a new PC or at least a fresh Winsows install. Well, I have the old box version and it is 5 or 6 CD's. The last CD would not read. I tried a few times and no go. I figured I had just lost HL2. Anyway, I installed Steam (or Steam did install from the HL2 CD, I don't recall). Anyway, when I opened Steam, HL2 began to install from the net. I've reinstalled a few times since then and I just download HL2 and all other Steam download games I have. Actually that is most of my games these days. No matter what, as long as I log into my Steam account, I can get my games, CD or not.

Now I am still not a 100% Steam fan, but I'm not a knocker of it by no means. I would rather rF2 not be on Steam, but I could live with it. It really isn't a big deal to me either way.
    I'm fairly certain I won't be using a Steam OS though, at least not for a while. If Windows keeps getting silly and sillier with each new 'upgrade' (as they like to call them), I may be a Steam OS user sooner than I think, lol.

10. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

I would rather have a seperate program that offers me community and modding (Steam Workshop) features than a seperate multiplayer client (like the current one), which costs money per year and only gives me a very basic server browser. Talking about DRM? rF2's DRM is way worse than Steam to be honest and offers far less. Not even a simple friends list to see if someone is currently racing :/

11. Jamie Shorting

OpenGL4.0 is arguably better than dx11

12. Dave362

Dave362 Registered

I love rf2, but also play AC. Steam makes it easy

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Windows 8.1 in combination with Directx 11.2 (or even Mantle) would be awesome.

14. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Steam is like Dennis Rodman, its there, it makes some noise, but it makes no lack....specially to RF2.

15. KernigWRC

KernigWRC Registered

About Left4dead2 on Linux:

^Here they say that they have created a software wich translates directx-commands in opengl-commands. Thy have measured a performance gain of 11%!

Here is the original article: http://www.steamforlinux.com/?q=de/node/234

Valve has ported all their DX9 games to linux with this software. (Half Life 1,2, L4D2, CS)

Maybe there would be a possebility for rFactor2 to run on Linux without big changes on the engine? It would be exciting to have some REAL information about this.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
  16. doug484

doug484 Registered

I might get more interested in SteamOS when they have the in-home game streaming figured out.

17. ambig88

ambig88 Registered

Steam is very elegant. It's no different than rFactor 2's launcher program. Steam automatically updates your games in the background, and if you have multiple games, it's nice to have them all under one roof.

And in what way does Steam's DRM limit your usage? You can install the games as many times as you want, there is no media, there is no activation that requires you to put in a CD key to activate it. Compared to rFactor, it is seamless. There is no worry of CD keys, or losing an e-mail that contains a code to unlock something, or retaining a proof of purchase. Steam works wonderfully at protecting the publisher and still allowing people who own the games to retain the freedom to install games. Heck, I have some of my games installed on 3 computers, with no issue. You just can only be logged onto one machine at a time.

What better alternative would you like? Steam isn't just DRM, but also a marketing/advertising platform. It is far easier for someone to stumble onto AC on steam than it would be through google. Someone in the mood for racing? Type racing in the search box.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Steamed convert

"Steaming pile of .... " >>> ....... Really it was just a joke, truth is I used Steam years back, just never really liked.

Short Story .......... I could not use pCARS methods for refund so after a week or so I bit the bullet and installed Steam ( oh dear lopl ) on my SSD, zero-write, fresh W7 Home Premium SP1 tweaked............. just for the heck of it. :eek:

What a mind altering experience............. it was simple, smooth, good looking, non-intrusive, much so in fact it now resides on my main images.

As for a OS..... mmmm a DirectX Android for Windows but without the windows would do me. :p lol

19. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I'd rather have a 64 bit version of rFactor 2.

20. Jamie Shorting

I find no difference between 32 and 64bit in iRacing. Just saying. :)

I read it was alot of work for them to do it too. :p